W.W. Grainger

www.grainger.com
  www.grainger.com

Interview Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview Lake Forest, IL

The end of the interview: Please sell me this item (random

object in the room - pencil etc...)
Tags:
business case, role play
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

Do not go thru a sales pitch of how great your pencil is, that's not what they're looking for. Ask as many questions as possible to understand the customer (interviewers) gaps/needs are.
- Where are you getting your current (object) from
- Is there a reason you are going there? (response: It's usually: it's where we've always gone, it's the cheapest in town...)
- How is the quality of your (pencil)?
- Are you getting same-day shipping? Or are you going to pick these up every time you need a new pack?
- Do you have a relationship with your current supplier? Are you happy with your supplier? Any issues with your supplier?

After you know the buying motives of the customer you can leverage the value of your (pencil) - this is a better quality pencil and lasts 3 times longer, we have same day shipping, you can order online or pick up at our local branch which carries these, the value you bring as a territory rep, consolidate purchasing to me because I have a million products and can be your one-stop shop.

Make sure to go for the close only after you fully understand what the "customer" needs. Fall back on, what do i need to do to earn your business for these pencils.

Interview Candidate on Feb 18, 2013

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.