Theranos

Getting the Interview

69 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Theranos.

Interview Details – My experience with Theranos was essentially: they tried to dissuade me at various points in the process to interview with them, and my perseverence to keep going to the next part of the process drove it forward.

First, I had a call with a recruiter, who spent a sizeable amount of time telling me that their working environment is not like the typical start-up, that they have a requirement of 50-60 hours a week, and that if I have kids I may not be the right person to work at the company.

Then, I had a phone screen. The engineer I spoke with told me that the reason most people decide not to work at the company is because they are too "focused on the money" (implying that Theranos does not pay well) as opposed to doing good works, and he confirmed that they typically do work 50-60 hours a week, at minimum.

My on-site interview was strange. I did not see more than four people -- the security guard, the person who walked me to the conference room, and then two engineers, which truly made the NDA I'd signed and the photo they'd taken of me seem excessive. There is no way to see anything about the company at all, be it the work space, the people you'd work with, or to garner anything about the company culture.

I had two in-person interviews. The first went well but went long enough that I couldn't talk to him about the company. The second... well let me say that as a hiring manager, I would not have let this team member interview potential staff. He asked vague, undirected questions; he refused to answer questions for clarification (usually if someone poses a vague question it's to suss out the communication style of the interviewee); he could not answer any questions about the company, and seemed unprepared to do so (I had to ask him to make time for that before he left).

I had to also follow-up with the recruiter in order to find out if they wanted to continue the interview process.

Interview Question – All standard software engineering questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Personal Assistant Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Theranos in February 2014.

Interview Details – Unorganized & pretentious. The person I interviewed with was very snobby and clearly needs to mature within her "profession." I would say it was a complete waste of my time interviewing with them but I wouldn't have known how unprofessional they are without seeing & experiencing it first hand. Dodged a bullet not being given an offer.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult or unexpected. Run of the mill canned interview questions.   Answer Question

Production Associate Assay Systems Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Theranos in February 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online. Within a week, they emailed me to set up a phone interview. A few days later I had the phone interview. It was very short and straight-forward - have I had experience with XYZ, what are my career goals, etc. Only took about 10 minutes. I received a follow-up email the next week to set up an in-person interview. The in-person interview was on-site with 2 interviewers (the first one being the same man I talked on the phone with), then the COO, then the CEO - it took about 2 hours in total and there was a lot of wait time because there were a lot of people interviewing that night. A lot of that time was me getting to know the company, more about the position and exactly what role I would play. All the questions asked were also straightforward; mainly pertaining to my experience in the field. In about a week, on a Thursday night, I got a call with my offer. They emailed the details the next day (I accepted), and I started that Monday. The entire process took about 3-4 weeks.

Interview Question – Honestly, everything was very expected. I don't remember being caught off-guard by anything.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I took the offer as-is.

Lead Embedded Systems Engineer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Theranos in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had applied online to Theranos. I did not have any contacts to act as referrals at this company so it made it more challenging. I had applied since it was in a field I was interested in and I had previous experience in this type of development. It took quite awhile for them to respond. I had almost given up on the company. Finally I did get a call for a phone interview. I went through the phone interview process but was not selected for a follow-up interview. I did feel the phone interview process went smoothly and the feedback from the HR organization was excellent.

Interview Question – There was not any question that I found difficult or Unexpected, though I was taken aback a little by how little the interviewed was willing disclose about their product. I can understand the sensitivity to IP but I was hoping to get generic architectural information which was hard to get.   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Algorithms Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed at Theranos in October 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process involved a phone screen, and two rounds of interviews. There was a presentation and a number of interviews in the first round, and a meeting with the senior staff in the second round. The company is very secretive and the employees were clever. There seemed to be something in the design of the interview to throw you off. You need to sign a number of NDAs at the outset. Also, after waiting for 15 minutes in the lobby, I was escorted directly into a dark, already full conference room to begin giving a seminar. Didn't have a problem with this, but it is unusual.

Interview Question – Would you be able to work here without telling your family what you are working on?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Scientist
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Theranos.

Interview Details – Had an over the phone interview which lasted about 30 min. Three days later, got invited to a in person interview which took about 2 hours.

Interview Question – Asked basic question   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Theranos in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview, first a semi-technical screen that basically involved walking down the resume and asking for clarifications here or there. After that, another phone interview with hiring manager, who after a very brief introduction, asked a few more open ended questions (e.g. What are you most proud of?). Finally, an in person interview, presentation and group interviews. Everyone was very reluctant to talk, so it felt quite odd. I suppose they learned things about me (and apparently didn't think I was a fit), but I came away thinking I learned virtually nothing about the company or the job other than it was a very tight lipped culture.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, everyone was very tight lipped and even though there were multiple people in multiple group interviews, it seemed that nobody had much to ask.   View Answer

Research Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Theranos.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter who set me up for a phone interview. Was contacted soon after for an on site interview which took 2 hours. Everyone i met with asked straight forward questions and tried to converse with me. Waiting to hear back, said i should hear something within two weeks.

Interview Question – Some basic technical questions, straight forward stuff. dd not go into detail about questions i asked.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Theranos.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview and in person interview with two of their recruiting employees. The interview was very straight forward. They asked questions based off of my resume about my skills and past work experience. They were nice and made me feel comfortable during the interview.
Questions asked where "What did you find most challenging about your last position?"
"What did you do at your last internship?"

Interview Question – I didn't feel any of the questions were difficult. They are all common interview questions that most employers ask.   Answer Question

Assay Systems Production Associate Interview Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Theranos in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an internal recruiter and interviewed on site. I was interviewed by two employees individually. The first guy seemed genuinely interested in me and conversed with me regarding the position and the company's overall philosophy and goals. This interviewer really took the time to get to know me and was a very enjoyable experience.

Unfortunately, it was not the same for the second guy who was very rude and uninterested about the interview and clearly lacked the same passion for the company as the first guy. He came in and took several minutes to read my resume before bothering to ask me any questions and was ready to leave before giving me a chance to ask questions. (I only was able to ask two).

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work here? Definition of morality and few questions regarding preparing solutions to the right morality.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Theranos

Worked for Theranos? Contribute to the Community!

Theranos – Why Work for Us?

​​​ ​​​​Our Company ​At Theranos, we are on a life-changing mission.​ We’re a team of technologists, scientists and inventors, led and backed by some of the greatest entrepreneurs, investors, creative minds, and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Theranos interview questions and advice. All 69 interview reviews posted anonymously by Theranos employees and interview candidates.