Thermo Fisher Scientific

Thermo Fisher Scientific Interview Questions

Updated Dec 7, 2014
Updated Dec 7, 2014

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific.

I met a Thermo Fisher rep at a career fair and I mentioned I had applied to a manufacturing engineer position a few months earlier. They told me that there was a new position that would be a better match. I connected with them, and then we scheduled a phone interview with HR and an informal in-person interview and factory tour.

The phone interview with HR was straight-forward, she asked me about times I had solved problems, and what pay I wanted.

The in-person interview was informal, and we took a tour of the factory, which was really interesting. I asked a lot of questions about how they had addressed manufacturing issues.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary expectations?
      Do you want to move into management?

Answer Question
    I received a great offer, but I asked for more based on a competing offer I had just received. They gave me 3% more.

Human Resource Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific.

Initial phone screen, reviewing of credentials. Then 3 face to face, back to back interviews at their headquarters, each lasting 30 minutes each with no breaks in between.I got positive feedback after each interview. Despite thank you letters and follow up calls, I did not receive immediate feedback. It turns out the position was no longer funded which would have been beneficial to know, as I was left thinking I was beat out by other candidates.

Senior Marketing Communication Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chelmsford, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific.

After having a phone screening interview with the recruiter, I was quickly scheduled to come in for an interview. I have a 5 hour interview with a few folks in the office. Nothing terribly difficult, just questions that gauged my experience and how it would measure with what they were looking for.

Didn't negotiate

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Management wants to see how you can differentiate Thermo Fisher from competitors and that you have a customer focused attitude. They are looking for go getters who can close sales and build long-term relationships with customers.

Interview Questions
    • How do you differentiate yourself from a competitor that sells the exact same products and services as you? Essentially the Wal Mart vs. Target conundrum.   Answer Question

Director Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in September 2014.

12 weeks from start to finish.

Contacted by recruiter. Several weeks of back and forth questions to align cv to profile. Phone screen by recruiter.

Phone interview with hiring manager. Phone interviews with five more potential colleagues. Informed I'm the leading and likely candidate.

No activity or feedback for several weeks.

In person interview with hiring manager. Same feedback. Leading candidate, no new candidates being seen.

No activity or feedback for several weeks.

Asked to fly to another location for a full day of in person interviews with the same six individuals. Arrived to find at least four other candidates new to the process.

All scripted behavioral questions (two per person).

Informed by recruiter via a one sentence e-mail that I wasn't selected. Follow up e-Mail and calls not returned.

Summary: Over 25 hours invested over 3 months. Almost impossible to maintain communication or visibility, what little feedback I received did not align with how the process was actually progressing.

Overall a disappointing experience and expensive lesson.

I do believe the company, it's people, and products are good .. This process reflects poorly on them and I sincerely hope it improves.
    Informed

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific.

Initially applied in late July and was contacted the same week for an HR/recruiter phone interview. Very simple and pleasant conversation.
    A week later I phone interviewed with the hiring manager. Very technical oriented questions in which I did not have all the answers but admitted what I did and did not know honestly.
    A couple weeks later I was contacted for an on site series of interviews. Overall, I interviewed with 5 other people, and most were product managers/directors, one was with an HR person. Interviews were a good mix of technical and behavioral questions and all were fairly pleasant. No one was trying to grill me, but they were interested in what I knew and who I was as a person.

About a month passed until I was contacted once again with an offer. Overall, the process took awhile, but to me they were trying to be very diligent with this hire. 3

Interview Questions
    • Different chemistry related questions related to separations of different analyte molecules in HPLC systems.   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in September 2014.

Interviewed with 3 people. Very detailed interview. They go over everything and really work with you and try to fit you in the best place. They want to make sure you are a good fit and the company is a good fit for you.

MBA Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific.

[This concerns the final round interview at HQ outside of Boston. My first round on campus was very short and normal.]

Boring and uncreative. I interviewed with four people from different areas, and each of them just had a stock sheet from HR with questions on it that they were supposed to ask - a script, basically. Why even bother? I felt like I could have just filled out an online questionnaire and saved these people some time. More than one of them started off with, "Okay, so I have this list of questions I have to ask you..." The people themselves were perfectly nice, and one even seemed surprised at the end when I asked her some questions about her specific job. There was a group case with the other candidates, which was pretty awkward, but I guess that's the point. A couple of T-F people sat in the room the whole time (while we prepared the presentation and while we gave it) to evaluate us.

Most of the other candidates that interviewed on the same day seemed bored too. I'm usually a quiet guy, but on multiple occasions, I felt like I had to carry a conversation. Even in between interviews, when we'd all be waiting in a hallway with an HR rep, everyone was just standing around looking at their shoes or something. It was kinda bizarre - like no one was even faking interest. The office seemed completely dead too. I can't remember seeing a single employee other than the ones on my schedule (we didn't get a tour) - it might as well have been an empty building for all I know.

I had to wait a month after the interview to get a response from them. I sent two followup emails to HR inquiring about the status of hiring for the position that went unreturned. Ultimately, I didn't get an offer. I honestly feel a bit like I dodged a bullet there because the structure of the program is ideal for me and I might have been tempted to take it if they'd offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • See above. All of the questions were painfully, excruciatingly expected. Just read off of a script.   Answer Question

Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Logan, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Logan, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in August 2014.

HR out of California contacted me initially. The HR person new very little as to what the specifics of the position or the actual manufacturing being done at the facility. Next phone interview with engineering manager over division. Second phone interview by engineering manager in a different division. Then on sight interview with mass interview with engineers.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were prepared and documented. Cases dealt with what have you done when you encountered a situation A,B,C and down the line. Such as - what do when given a task which is beyond abilities, How deal with decisions that you don't agree with, Dealing with dead-lines etc. Basic character situation and examples on how you handled them.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in July 2014.

Applied on line, about 4 weeks later received an email like i won the lottery. "Congratulations you have been selected to interview blah, blah, contact the recruiter" So I immediately contacted via phone and left a message. Next day I sent an email. next day I left a voice mail, etc. Did this for about a week and figured nothing would happen. After two weeks from the original email the recruiter emailed to set up a time for the call.

First interview with the recruiter was standard background check of just confirming where you worked and what types of work you had done. After about 15 minutes she said OK what is your availability to talk to the hiring manger.

Within a few days talked the hiring manager. More of a conversation about product management and issues that they needed to resolve. Just good back and forth discussion.

Didn't hear anything for another two weeks and then all of the sudden the recruiter wanted to schedule three additional phone interviews, two with other product managers and a third with the boss of the person that I would be reporting to. The interviews with the product managers were also good conversation type interviews discussing issues that needed addressed and how I would approach them. The interview with the boss was a major disappointment. He would ask a question like tell me about your background and then put the phone on mute (I guess for him to talk to someone else while I droned on). Seemed very disinterested and whenever I finished there was a gap until he took it off mute and asking the next question. Very awkward and unprofessional.
    But that wasn’t the worst of the unprofessional behavior. I sent the usual thank you to each individual and then waited the normal three to four days before following up with the recruiter to see what the next step would be. Went the usual routine of alternating between calling and emails. This was months ago and have never received any feedback.

Interview Questions
    • How would you set pricing for new services to be offered?   Answer Question