Thermo Fisher Scientific

Updated Sep 15, 2014

Director Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in September 2014.

12 weeks from start to finish.

Contacted by recruiter. Several weeks of back and forth questions to align cv to profile. Phone screen by recruiter.

Phone interview with hiring manager. Phone interviews with five more potential colleagues. Informed I'm the leading and likely candidate.

No activity or feedback for several weeks.

In person interview with hiring manager. Same feedback. Leading candidate, no new candidates being seen.

No activity or feedback for several weeks.

Asked to fly to another location for a full day of in person interviews with the same six individuals. Arrived to find at least four other candidates new to the process.

All scripted behavioral questions (two per person).

Informed by recruiter via a one sentence e-mail that I wasn't selected. Follow up e-Mail and calls not returned.

Summary: Over 25 hours invested over 3 months. Almost impossible to maintain communication or visibility, what little feedback I received did not align with how the process was actually progressing.

Overall a disappointing experience and expensive lesson.

I do believe the company, it's people, and products are good .. This process reflects poorly on them and I sincerely hope it improves.
    Informed

Design Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Logan, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Logan, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in August 2014.

HR out of California contacted me initially. The HR person new very little as to what the specifics of the position or the actual manufacturing being done at the facility. Next phone interview with engineering manager over division. Second phone interview by engineering manager in a different division. Then on sight interview with mass interview with engineers.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were prepared and documented. Cases dealt with what have you done when you encountered a situation A,B,C and down the line. Such as - what do when given a task which is beyond abilities, How deal with decisions that you don't agree with, Dealing with dead-lines etc. Basic character situation and examples on how you handled them.   Answer Question

Product Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific.

Initially applied in late July and was contacted the same week for an HR/recruiter phone interview. Very simple and pleasant conversation.
    A week later I phone interviewed with the hiring manager. Very technical oriented questions in which I did not have all the answers but admitted what I did and did not know honestly.
    A couple weeks later I was contacted for an on site series of interviews. Overall, I interviewed with 5 other people, and most were product managers/directors, one was with an HR person. Interviews were a good mix of technical and behavioral questions and all were fairly pleasant. No one was trying to grill me, but they were interested in what I knew and who I was as a person.

About a month passed until I was contacted once again with an offer. Overall, the process took awhile, but to me they were trying to be very diligent with this hire. 3

Interview Questions
    • Different chemistry related questions related to separations of different analyte molecules in HPLC systems.   Answer Question

MBA Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific.

[This concerns the final round interview at HQ outside of Boston. My first round on campus was very short and normal.]

Boring and uncreative. I interviewed with four people from different areas, and each of them just had a stock sheet from HR with questions on it that they were supposed to ask - a script, basically. Why even bother? I felt like I could have just filled out an online questionnaire and saved these people some time. More than one of them started off with, "Okay, so I have this list of questions I have to ask you..." The people themselves were perfectly nice, and one even seemed surprised at the end when I asked her some questions about her specific job. There was a group case with the other candidates, which was pretty awkward, but I guess that's the point. A couple of T-F people sat in the room the whole time (while we prepared the presentation and while we gave it) to evaluate us.

Most of the other candidates that interviewed on the same day seemed bored too. I'm usually a quiet guy, but on multiple occasions, I felt like I had to carry a conversation. Even in between interviews, when we'd all be waiting in a hallway with an HR rep, everyone was just standing around looking at their shoes or something. It was kinda bizarre - like no one was even faking interest. The office seemed completely dead too. I can't remember seeing a single employee other than the ones on my schedule (we didn't get a tour) - it might as well have been an empty building for all I know.

I had to wait a month after the interview to get a response from them. I sent two followup emails to HR inquiring about the status of hiring for the position that went unreturned. Ultimately, I didn't get an offer. I honestly feel a bit like I dodged a bullet there because the structure of the program is ideal for me and I might have been tempted to take it if they'd offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    • See above. All of the questions were painfully, excruciatingly expected. Just read off of a script.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in January 2010.

Applied online, usually the interview process is composed with two phone meetings, followed by a 1-on-1, and lastly a in person meeting with the HR director, potentially the VP of sales, and the hiring manager. Post final meeting an offer will be made.

Interview Questions
    • What do you anticipate to be your biggest challenge to your business and what will you do to overcome the challenge?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in June 2014.

Interviewed for a strategy internship at Thermo Fisher (Life Technologies). Interview consisted of one 30 minute interview with the project leader and two hour interviews with team members.

Interview questions were mostly fit related as I am an advanced degree applying to a MBA internship. Some interview questions involved questions about business intelligence, product road mapping, and SWOT analysis. Nothing to difficult, if you have taken business classes.

R&D Scientist Interview

Current employee referred me for this position through the company's website. Received a phone interview with recruiter, followed by hiring manager a few days later. Went for an on-site interview the following week and received job offer 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest challenge in your present position, and how did you solve this problem.   Answer Question

IT Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in April 2014.

Multiple recruiters call me about the role. Had a phone screen with an internal recruiter then a brief call with the hiring VP. Received feedback that the VP had a candidate in mind for the position but had another position I was an candidate for. Interviewed with about a dozen people on the phone or face to face who provided me a lot of candid information about the IT unit the role was in. Tempered my enthusiasm. Learned that a person who interviewed me and was offered the job. Was asked to apply for the other role. Had to re-interview with the some of the same people I interviewed with for the other job. Was asked detailed low level technical questions that one of the interviewers, the one who got the other job, had the questions and answers on sheets of paper (he thought it was a phone screen and not a face-to-face). Interview was a joke....Good company but IT team in Pittsburgh needs a major overhaul

Interview Questions
    • What is a MEEP and why would you and not buy one   View Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in June 2014.

There are little "exercises" during the interview that are designed to put the candidate on the spot. Though I do understand the purpose of this, I felt as though it could filter out extremely qualified candidates because the intent is to get a quick response, I guess, as opposed to a quality thorough analysis. I believe some people are quick on their feet whereas others are more careful and thorough before presenting ideas. I believe the latter would be a more appropriate trait for an Analyst position.

Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Thermo Fisher Scientific in October 2010.

Applied got a phone call. Called back and never was able reach anyone.i was very disappointed that I never received a call back or even a letter telling me thanks for applying. Was a strange experience professionally.

Worked for Thermo Fisher Scientific? Contribute to the Community!