Thieme Medical Publishers Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Thieme Medical Publishers

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Thieme Medical Publishers in January 2011.

I found the position (part time Editorial Assistant) via Careerbuilder and was sent an email requesting an interview within a week. I met with the Acquisitions Editor I would be working under, plus a senior Acqs. Editor and the Managing Editor who works under him. The interview itself was formal. Each person asked about my prior experience and went into length describing everyday operations pertaining to my duties and that of the office overall. Overall, the interview lasted about an hour.

I received an answer about two weeks later and was told they were going with someone else. To put things in perspective, I was told that over 200 applications were submitted and only 4 were offered interviews.

Then two weeks after that I got another email asking if I was still interested as the person that was hired had taken a full time job somewhere else (I was also told from another colleague that the person hired was simply incompetent when it came to basic computer tasks, so who knows). I went in again, this time to meet with the full time Editorial Assistant I would be working with. A few days later I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Given the nature and demands of the medical profession how would you deal with authors pertaining to deadlines?   Answer Question
    Not really much of a negotiation. As a part time employee you're not given the opportunity for benefits (i.e., vacation, insurance, bonuses) and you're started out at $16/hour. Each year nets you an addition $0.25. Though you cannot work more than 30 hours each week I could at least set my own hours, first working 7-8 hour days and taking Friday off and then adjusting this once I started working a second job.

Marketing and Sales Assistant Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Thieme Medical Publishers in August 2010.

Was contacted for a phone interview which resulted in an offer for an in person interview. At the interview I was interviewed by 3 different people. They asked standard interview questions and the whole process was pretty informal and unstructured. The last person who interviewed me was so nervous, which I thought seemed unprofessional that the interviewee had to make the interviewer comfortable. It's been over a week and I haven't heard back from them.

Interview Questions