EY

www.ey.com
  www.ey.com

Interview Question

Assurance Intern Interview(Student Candidate) Washington, DC

This was the question I got asked in my first-round

interview right off the bat: "You're at the first day of your internship and your client is an industrial producer of steel. You walk into the warehouse and there are thousands of steel bars stacked everywhere up to the ceiling. Your senior has asked you to work with the client to get a number of steel bars that are in that specific warehouse so the team can use it in their inventory accounting. You tell the client this and he starts getting pissed at you, saying he can't possibly give you an accurate count because it would take forever and waste too many people's time (There is no explanation given why the client doesn't have a running record of how many bars are in their warehouse at any given time). All of your superiors are at different areas of the client site and there is no way to get in touch with them; also you have no cell phone reception (why your seniors would leave you with a warehouse manager on your first day on the job is beyond me). What do you do and what do you tell the client? How do you solve this problem in order to get a number of steel bars for your senior?
Tags:
behavioral, analytical
Answer

Interview Answer

1 Answer

I told the interviewer that I would try and be as empathetic with the client as possible; essentially not freaking out or pissing the client off further by arguing with him, but letting him know the importance of an accurate inventory account for our audit procedures. I then said I needed to talk with my senior first before making him do anything like manually counting all the inventory, in order to see if there was a method they would suggest that would easier & less time-consuming.

Interview Candidate on Apr 8, 2013

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.