Thomas and Herbert

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Manager/Health Sector Lead Interview

Senior Manager/Health Sector Lead
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Thomas and Herbert in November 2012.

Interview Details – Initial interview setup was detailed, well managed. However, the actual interview was set up late in the day, which was not a problem for me, but it seemed as though the interviewers were unhappy with being selected to interview me. The interviewers did not appear to be prepared, and overall did not seem to have their act together. One key interviewer was not available to be present. I was asked a series of questions that to me seemed generic in nature but didn't specifically seem tailored to the position I was being interviewed for. In fact, the position itself and it's requirements, and how I would be a fit for that position was never even discussed. Interviewers seemed disinterested or trying to be intimidating.
The Company waited almost a week to deliver a decision that I was not selected to my recruiter after telling me after the interview that they would have decision the next day. The feedback received about my performance seemed strange and didn't match my experience. The feedback was delivered to my recruiter, third-hand, from a company HR manager who was not even in the room. The feedback included alleged questions that to my recollection were never asked of me. Feedback was that I did not "adequately appear to answer the question 'if you were hired, what would you do in the first 20 days here to turn things around'?" I think I would have remembered a loaded question such as this. There were also oddball feedback comments from them that my "demeanor changed after the interview was over and was leaving the office" which I thought was a very strange, irrelevant, and defensive thing to report back as feedback. Overall, the company appeared defensive, unprepared, and unsure of what they were hiring for and what they really were looking for. All of which appeared to be bad signs to me.

Interview Question – Before the in person interview was to begin, I was seated before a laptop to type in a three paragraph response to a question, "Describe the most difficult situation you were in and how you overcame it and made it into a success". I had no problem with this one, and had an exact case to describe. I was given 15 minutes. This was called the "writing sample"   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Rosslyn, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Thomas and Herbert.

Interview Details – Will likely meet with 2 Managers and an Owner/Executive
Interview Lasts between 1 - 1 1/2 hours

Interview Question – Asked about experience preparing Financial Reports to Sr. Mgmt (P&L, burn rate, etc.)
Important to know MS Excel very well. Budgeting is an essential responsibility.
Wants to know about Business Development responsibilties.
Know your resume, they will drill down into specifics.
Be prepared to give a pitch like you are presenting PM or BPR services to a potential client. I wasn't prepared for that. Kind of intimidating.
  Answer Question

Worked for Thomas and Herbert? Contribute to the Community!