Thomson Reuters

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – I applied online, and after about a month (during which I forgot I even applied) I got a call from HR to set up a phone interview. The woman who gave the interview was very friendly, and most of the questions were pretty straightforward and expected (walk me through your resume, etc) although there were a few curveballs. I got a call a few days later to come into the office for a second round interview with the director I might be working under. This "interview" was more of a 75 minute casual conversation, which was entirely stress-free and relaxed. I got a call with an offer the next day

Interview Question – In your opinion, what was the cause of the recent financial crisis? (more unexpected than difficult)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in March 2009.

Interview Details – You must have some technical understanding. That's probably more critical than having a financial background. Position yourself as someone with User Experience (UX) credentials. That is much needed at the organization. Interview is 2 rounds at the minimum. The company is so large, it's hard to know who you would interview with. Most people are friendly. Be prepared to discuss your experience with PROJECT Management as well. Knowledge of Microsoft Project a big plus for this role.

Interview Question – Diagram a Visio-type work flow for how you might design an ATM.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the director of one of the many development groups in Boston campus. The technical questions were very easy, the manager seems to care more about personality than technical skill. First day the manager interviewed me, then they called me to be there again next day, when I met the team. I got an offer later.

Interview Question – how to write a trigger in sql? when should you do it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It seems to me they care more about team spirit and manageability more than your skill and talent.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in January 2012.

Interview Details – Got the call through my University site. Had an initial phone screen with the Development Manager. Was pretty basic stuff about the technology and a little bit of resume.Since I was out-of-town candidate, my next round was over skype with the whole team (3 person). The team members were very nice,professional. I got a feel that the whole work environment was very comfortable and exciting. This round was pretty technical about the concepts however there was no code writing. This made me feel more respected because why would I apply if I didnt know how to ! There was a final interview with the development manager of the entire division which was more to see the cultural fit. The interview process was fairly speedy and the delays were on my unavailability. Felt definitely like a good company and team to work for.

Interview Question – What is the difference between InnoDB and MyISAM schema type in MySql?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Although they made a good offer, I got a better offer from another company.

Architect Interview

Architect
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in October 2011.

Interview Details – Process was very smooth and quick considering the time and country difference.

Interview Questions

• How would you balance family and work life.   Answer Question
  • How would you cope working from home, starting later in the day and working into the evening to work around different time zones.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Check the current market rates and what the company offers as a basic package. Always ask for career steps.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in August 2011.

Interview Details – Two questions. First, the absurdly general: "Tell me about yourself." Then, the absurdly specific: "Have you used VLookup in Excel?" (No, not at that time.) He ended the interview. I taught myself VLookup in under an hour the next month. Their loss!

This was a phone interview for an entry-level health analyst role.

Interview Questions

Analytic Staff Interview

Analytic Staff
Cambridge, MA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in June 2010.

Interview Details – A pretty extensive interview experience. Started with a 5 minute phone screen from HR. Then I went in in-person and had to meet with 2 different people from my would-be team (30mins each), as well as 1 hour with the hiring manager. Also had to talk for about 30 minutes on the phone with another member of the team that works from home. After this, I had to do a skills assessment that took about 45 minutes (analyzing data etc).

2 days after this, had to do an online personality test. Took about 30 minutes.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had to analyze data or a situation and communicate your analysis to other people.   Answer Question

Channel Manager Interview

Channel Manager
Boston, MA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in March 2010.

Interview Details – Had a telephone interview with hiring manager which went well. Skills and experience were a perfect match for the role. A week later I was asked for a coffee meeting to discuss expectations on the role. Another meeting that went well, where I also found out that management might be considering hiring a junior position to save money. After meeting, I followed up via email and then did not hear anything from the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience   Answer Question

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!