Thomson Reuters

2.9

51 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Applied online and got a 30min phone interview. Mostly questions about past experience and classes, with just a few technical questions. Interviewer was a bit awkward to talk to, but was otherwise very nice.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through other source – interviewed at Thomson Reuters in October 2014.

Interviewers were on-time and professional. I was interviewed by two Regional Sales Managers whom both asked questions. They followed a standard and consistent format. They both were engaged and straight forward regarding expectations and company culture and work environment.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions related to explain prior jobs, successes on those jobs as well as challenges. Ask situational based questions and solutions regarding prior job related experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiations were conducted during the interview. Salaries were defined and discussed with Human Resources.

Senior Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Hiring is first screened by HR so it is helpful to include specific information about how you would be a good candidate for the job you are applying for in your cover letter, along with listing all relevant work experience on your resume, to be sure it is then forwarded on to the hiring manager. Typically a phone interview is first. Be engaging, and upbeat. Next is the in person interview. Support teams are looking for a team player, someone who isn't afraid to help out/is available to help. Often it comes down to relevant experience and how you handled yourself during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Usually a specific scripting question or a linux question to try and gage your knowledge of the application or architecture.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus. Questions covered basic Computer Science knowledge and then a small code challenge. After several weeks I received an invitation to visit the Eagan, MN campus for a tour and a second interview. The second round of interview were conducted by Senior / Lead Software Engineers from the campus. The questions were more about my technical background and the coursework I had studied in college. Overall not extremely challenging if you payed attention during your coursework.

Interview Questions
    • What is your preferred / favorite programming language and why?   Answer Question
    Took many weeks to receive the initial offer.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in May 2014.

I found the listing on glassdoor and applied through the Thomson Reuters website on a Tuesday morning. I received an email within about an hour requesting a pre-screen phone interview, which we set up for the next day. The phone interview consisted of very typical questions and a summary of the role with one of their Talent Acquisition Specialists. At the end of the phone interview, we scheduled an in-person interview for Friday afternoon. The interview lasted about an hour. It was a behavioral interview with two of the sales managers. Pretty standard questions. Monday morning I received a call that they wanted to set up a second Role Play interview. We set up the interview for Wednesday afternoon and I was given some information about the products and scenarios to study. After the role play, where I carried out a sales call with of the hiring managers, they had me assess myself and we went over any final questions. I received a call the next morning just before 8am letting me know they wanted to make an offer. The process was very quick and easy, although I spent a lot of time preparing for the interview and role play, so it might be more difficult if not properly prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you were creative in order to make your quota. What do you like most/least about sales?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

(Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
    -Had I used injection-style testing
    -What is TDD
    -Had I worked on a team before
    -What is data normalization
    -What is a Linked List/how is it useful
    The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Started at an on-campus career fair with a Thomson Reuters recruiter who referred me to the Minneapolis campus for Software Engineering internships. After submitting my resume, was contacted with a brief phone interview about past work and academic experience, no technical questions. After that, was asked to setup an all-day on-campus tour of the tech facility, at which time a more technical interview was held. The on-campus visit was held with a group of others who were also invited, but the interview was held individually. Then had to wait until all campus groups finished, then got offered a summer internship position.

Interview Questions
    • In-person technical interview was among the easier that I've experienced. Was not asked to perform any on-the-spot data structures or algorithm type problem. Mostly asked simple technical programming questions. For example, if doing an SQL query using a left join, what results are returned? Or what's the difference between an interface and a abstract class?   View Answer
    Offered compensation was adequate in my opinion. Attempted to see if they'd offer any relocation or housing compensation, but they do not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Very Simple but extremely slow in hiring process. Initial phone interview with HR followed by a technical interview on phone with a team lead and then was invited for an onsite interview (they rarely pay the traveling allowance). The interview questions were very generic and mostly from the textbook. Not many questions from the resume or from the projects.

Interview Questions
    • Very simple questions for example: what is garbage collection in Java, reverse a string, superclass vs subclass etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was allowed.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in November 2013.

I interviewed with them twice, once at a conference and once on their campus. The first one was just about personal information and my motivations, strengths and past experiences. The second interview didn't go much beyond that but I got asked some technical questions about databases and object oriented terms. Everyone I spoke with was extremely nice.

Interview Questions
    • Whether I had ever been involved in a business decision, something like that   View Answers (2)

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in October 2013.

Interview process was very smooth with HR in scheduling time for interviews. I had three initial interviews with the hiring manager, another manager in the department, and the department vice president. I then had three additional follow-up interviews with two marketing managers and a senior vice president of the department.

The delayed response for feedback/follow-up and an offer was a little frustrating. However, overall, I would rate the experience as very positive.

Interview Questions
    • How will you be able to transition from an accounting background to finance and communicate with business partners.   Answer Question