Thomson Reuters Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.9

Global Compliance Officer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I was referred internally. Everyone at the company was very welcoming and kind, and the hiring manager was very upfront with his expectations and his questions. He was also very interested in how my background related to the position, and allowed me to explain my unique career path. Knowledge of a foreign language is helpful.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Applied online and received phone call for interview. Had initial interview with HR representative with basic "why do you want to work here/tell me about yourself" questions. Next, there's a mock sales call with a current sales rep to test phone/selling skills. Following this, was offered an on-site interview which is a 4 hour process to meet with various sales managers and get an understanding of the job. Sales manager questions were fairly straight-forward, "explain a situation in which you had to work with others on a difficult task/explain how you were a leader when faced with adversity, etc." Received a call the following day with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember the most difficult question. Not a terribly difficult interview process, but not a cakewalk either. Understand SPIN selling technique and be able to apply it to prior sales situations.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate. All reps start with same salary/benefits.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brookfield, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I applied online. From the time the recruiter contacted me, he process took two weeks. There was 3 phone screens and an in person interview. Everyone was very professional and kind.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you implemented a large change.   Answer Question

Photographer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I see the post on the forum and try to contact the photographer myself, and he is kind of hiring an assistant for himself, since he cannot speak Korean. And it is just a 20 minutes face to face with him, he interviewed about 20 people that day.

Interview Questions
    • You know there is a protest in an area, and government cut all the internet around there, How to find out how serious the protest is?   Answer Question

Technical Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in November 2012.

The interview process was actually great. Took 4 interviews through the ranks which in my opinion lead to verifying my experience and knowledge. Last interview was with the business leaders of the location that I'd be supporting.

Interview Questions
    • How was I going to prioritize the local facility needs while participating in global projects.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a sign on bonus that helped with my relocation from out of state.

Global Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I applied directly to a posting on the website and was called within a few days by HR for a phone screening. Afterwards, I went in for an initial interview with people that were previously in the role. After passing that, I went in to meet with the Global Business Directors. I met with 3 of them.

Interview Questions
    • They asked basic questions about my background, asking me to walk them through my resume, why I wanted the position, if I have ever been in a difficult situation and how I handled it. It was all pretty textbook.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. It began with an initial interview with the HR recruiter which lasted 15 minutes and was a brief introduction discussing my background and why I feel I would be right for the position. This was followed by two conference calls with two managers and a final telepresence interview at the NYC office. I received a satisfactory offer less than 24 hrs after the final interview.

The HR recruiters were very organized and communicated well.

Interview Questions
    • There were no "got you" questions that were asked, just the standard tell me about yourself, why are you applying for the position, and why do you want to work at TR.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, I was given the salary range upfront and was offered the high end of it,

Software QA Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in July 2014.

Online preinterview questions of topics including Python, SQL, Finance, Math. Examples are 1."Do you consider yourself to be good with numbers, quantitative analysis, or scripting languages?", or 2."Using at least 10 words describe your attention to detail."

Interview Questions
    • In Python, using "map", "sum" and other built-in functions I will write one line of code to compute the cumulative sum of a list "vector"   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

They outsource initial phone interview to recruitment agency. Very standard question for every single person. Questions like what kind of product they sell? Why do you think you would be a good fit to the position? etc. But they do not provide working visa sponsor to foreigners, which I think is the main reason why I failed it.

Corp Tech - Vendor Management Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I was contacted by a recruiter for the position via e-mail shortly after submitting my application via the career site. We set up a time and date without speaking on the phone. I was told by the recruiter that I would be contacted by phone to do the initial interview. When the interview date and time arrived, I waited twenty minutes past the time that we had decided on, but I did not get a call. The recruiter had not given me a contact number, so I sent an e-mail to the recruiter and asked if he was still available to do the interview. The recruiter called me about one minute after I sent the e-mail, but did not mention anything about being late.

The recruiter seemed genuinely disinterested in his job. He asked me very few questions. The first five minutes of the interview were spent listening to him read what was clearly a scripted description of the position. After he finished, he asked me if I had any questions about the job. I asked him specific questions about the position that were not posted in the job description (i.e. What technical skill sets are needed for the position? What do you anticipate are the expected working hours to perform the job?) His response was literally to re-read the portions of the script. I don't think that he intentionally dodged the questions, but obviously he did not know much about the position. I was asked to describe my background, which I did for the next ten minutes. When I finished, I asked him if he had any questions about my background. He had none. I was contacted about one week later and told that I was not selected for the position.

This is not my first potential job with Thomson Reuters. I was contacted by another recruiter some time back who asked me when I would be available to talk about a position that I had applied to. I then left no less than four voice messages and sent three e-mails with suggested times and dates, but did not get a reply to any of them.

I have interviewed at several large and prestigious firms, and must admit that this was one of the poorest experiences that I have encountered in my job search. Since the interview, I've also spoken with current and former employees of the company, and have learned that the culture and working conditions at Thomson Reuters have deteriorated substantially in recent years. In fact, all but one of the six people whom have given me advice as employees of Thomson Reuters have left the company due to dissatisfaction with their experience there.

I will not be applying for positions at this company any longer, and would suggest anyone who is considering a position with Thomson Reuters to carefully consider other options before choosing to work there.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!