Thomson Reuters

2.9

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Quincy, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Quincy, MA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in September 2014.

Process was rapid by comparison to other experiences, 6 weeks total. Telephone Screen / Telephone Interview with Hiring Manager / In Person interview with Hiring Manager + Management / Final In Person interview with Sr. Management team.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Thorough investigation of professional experiences and skill set.   Answer Question
    Expect the salary question in the phone screen. Expect offer to be within the guidance provided at the phone screen.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in September 2014.

Applied for a Software Engineer Intern position online, through their website. I received a phone interview from a member of their technical staff (without prior warning). The interviewer was friendly and asked questions about object-oriented programming and my background. One-two weeks later I received an invitation to come to an onsite interview. Unfortunately, I was asked to pay for my own travel and accommodation for the interview, which I couldn't afford. I had to turn down the interview invite and so I could no longer be considered for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the pros and cons of multiple inheritance in C++   Answer Question

Finance & Accounting Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in September 2014.

I was interviewed on my college campus towards the end of September. I thought the interview went fantastic. I really connected with the interviewer and the interviewer seemed excited to tell me about projects they would like me to work and they said I seemed like a great fit for the company in terms of my personality, my collaboration experience, and my prior work and internship experience. I was able to connect my experience with what they were looking for (or at least I thought I did) and I had a lot of accounting and financial experience in regards to developing business models, conducting the accounting each quarter for my business, and analyzing financial statements to develop a forecast for future demand planning and estimations. The interviewer told me I would hear back within about a week and that they weren't holding a second round interview for the position (this was it). I sent a thank-you letter the next day and a follow up e-mail the following week. After hearing nothing for two weeks, I tried calling the interviewer and the recruiter who was in charge of filling this position (voicemail for both). Finally, I received an e-mail last Friday (November 7th) saying I did not receive the position. I feel that it was completely rude of the interviewer to lead me on by getting my hopes up about the potential internship. I attended internship interviews for other companies, but I was positive that this interview went the best and the interviewer thought it was going great, as well. Ironically, I received responses from all of the other companies where I applied when I sent a follow-up and a thank-you letter.

Interview Questions
    • Since you're an entrepreneur, would you feel confined by a corporate career?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

The interview process was pretty straight forward. It began with an initial interview with the HR recruiter which lasted 15 minutes and was a brief introduction discussing my background and why I feel I would be right for the position. This was followed by two conference calls with two managers and a final telepresence interview at the NYC office. I received a satisfactory offer less than 24 hrs after the final interview.

The HR recruiters were very organized and communicated well.

Interview Questions
    • There were no "got you" questions that were asked, just the standard tell me about yourself, why are you applying for the position, and why do you want to work at TR.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, I was given the salary range upfront and was offered the high end of it,

Sales Representative Interview

They outsource initial phone interview to recruitment agency. Very standard question for every single person. Questions like what kind of product they sell? Why do you think you would be a good fit to the position? etc. But they do not provide working visa sponsor to foreigners, which I think is the main reason why I failed it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carrollton, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carrollton, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Two Interviews Total. One in person with the hiring manager and the team. The second interview was with the VP of the division. The team interview was more technical and the VP interview was more of a personality fit and normal strength/weaknesses type of interview. Process moved slowly because VP had just been promoted and was still in the process of moving.

Interview Questions
    • How did you hear about Thomson Reuters and what is your impression of us. Can you explain to me what Thomson Reuters does?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, offer was exactly what I wanted.

Corp Tech - Vendor Management Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I was contacted by a recruiter for the position via e-mail shortly after submitting my application via the career site. We set up a time and date without speaking on the phone. I was told by the recruiter that I would be contacted by phone to do the initial interview. When the interview date and time arrived, I waited twenty minutes past the time that we had decided on, but I did not get a call. The recruiter had not given me a contact number, so I sent an e-mail to the recruiter and asked if he was still available to do the interview. The recruiter called me about one minute after I sent the e-mail, but did not mention anything about being late.

The recruiter seemed genuinely disinterested in his job. He asked me very few questions. The first five minutes of the interview were spent listening to him read what was clearly a scripted description of the position. After he finished, he asked me if I had any questions about the job. I asked him specific questions about the position that were not posted in the job description (i.e. What technical skill sets are needed for the position? What do you anticipate are the expected working hours to perform the job?) His response was literally to re-read the portions of the script. I don't think that he intentionally dodged the questions, but obviously he did not know much about the position. I was asked to describe my background, which I did for the next ten minutes. When I finished, I asked him if he had any questions about my background. He had none. I was contacted about one week later and told that I was not selected for the position.

This is not my first potential job with Thomson Reuters. I was contacted by another recruiter some time back who asked me when I would be available to talk about a position that I had applied to. I then left no less than four voice messages and sent three e-mails with suggested times and dates, but did not get a reply to any of them.

I have interviewed at several large and prestigious firms, and must admit that this was one of the poorest experiences that I have encountered in my job search. Since the interview, I've also spoken with current and former employees of the company, and have learned that the culture and working conditions at Thomson Reuters have deteriorated substantially in recent years. In fact, all but one of the six people whom have given me advice as employees of Thomson Reuters have left the company due to dissatisfaction with their experience there.

I will not be applying for positions at this company any longer, and would suggest anyone who is considering a position with Thomson Reuters to carefully consider other options before choosing to work there.

Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

First there is a phone interview that asks basic questions like why do you want to work here. Then if you pass that move onto the in person interview.Thomson Reuters uses the STAR interview method. Situation,task, Action, Result which I did ok with until the last question that was totally out of left field and I bombed it. Now I can't remember what the question was. The company moves really fast, I applied and interviewed within a week

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoboken, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Had a 15 minute phone interview, went well. Got offered in person interview right away. Went in for a 1 hour interview and met with 4 people within the Sales department. First person to interview me asked questions relating to teamwork, facing adversity, etc....other 3 ppl had me ask them questions so knowing about the company, products and market direction were key to know. I made flash cards beforehand and studied but apparently wasn't good enough. The one woman who interviewed me was very terse so it made it hard to have a conversation. I was told I would hear back by a certain date in order to give my current employer 2 weeks notice - I've heard nothing after leaving a vm and email. Good interview practice but a shame it didn't work out well. Their loss.

Interview Questions
    • Give us a time when you had to work in a team setting?   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

They will call you and you will have to go to the interview. Then you meet the manager, they sell the job, but you dont need to explain yourself in any way.