Thomson Reuters Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

Straight forward resume questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eagan, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

(Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
    -Had I used injection-style testing
    -What is TDD
    -Had I worked on a team before
    -What is data normalization
    -What is a Linked List/how is it useful
    The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

The interviewers were all very nice and excited to meet me. They seemed to have a genuine interest in getting to know more about me. Not only did they want to see if I was a good fit for the job but if the company was a good fit for my life.

Product Usage Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

submitted resume twice while on contract assignment. Interviewed on first application, nothing on 2nd I was told ny position posted may be sending a counterpart to rep in another state when I inquired from direct supervisor on my application status

Software Engineer Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

Applied through University. Got a call few weeks later. It was a 30min interview. Few behavioral questions and few technical questions. The process was smooth.

Interview Questions
    • Difference between final,finally and finalize. Was asked to write down output for few codes. Collections, inheritance. Was very simple   Answer Question

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I went through about 5 interviews, but they were very proficient in the way they went about the process. They wanted to be certain that I was a perfect fit and everything initially worked out.

Interview Questions
    I held out for more vacation time as they were firm on the initial salary. I did get the additional vacation time.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

They were very kind and prompt on getting back a response on weather or not I got the job. The person I interviewed with was kind but straight with me. It was more of a technical interview then a getting to know you interview. The application online is relatively straight forward and they got back to me pretty quickly maybe a couple weeks.

Interview Questions
    • know your vocabulary, what is a buffer String? what is XML?   Answer Question

Accounting Operation Intern Interview

I first got a phone interview with HR, and then I was invited to have a in-person interview on site with two people. Asked basic questions. not too hard. The whole process went smooth and took me around 2 weeks to finish the interviews. The environment was nice and friendly.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Media, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Media, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I submitted the resume through their website, the followup was very quick. Initially i got an email from the Recruiting manager and then through email i got a template to fill in with general question like strength, weakness, etc . After that within couple of day i got the phone screening scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • The interview lasted around 40 minutes mostly the questions revolving around Java, OOPS concept and they covered all the basic questions from all web, Middle ware, Spring, ORM tool, basic databse questions like Primary key, foreign key, normalization, etc . In the end a problem was explained and asked for a programmatical solution   Answer Question

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dexter, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dexter, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Telephone screen, mock sales call, half-day onsite

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions, past scenarios, sales challenges, lessons learned.   Answer Question
    Take it or leave it