Thomson Reuters

Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Eagan, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in May 2014.

Interview Details – I found the listing on glassdoor and applied through the Thomson Reuters website on a Tuesday morning. I received an email within about an hour requesting a pre-screen phone interview, which we set up for the next day. The phone interview consisted of very typical questions and a summary of the role with one of their Talent Acquisition Specialists. At the end of the phone interview, we scheduled an in-person interview for Friday afternoon. The interview lasted about an hour. It was a behavioral interview with two of the sales managers. Pretty standard questions. Monday morning I received a call that they wanted to set up a second Role Play interview. We set up the interview for Wednesday afternoon and I was given some information about the products and scenarios to study. After the role play, where I carried out a sales call with of the hiring managers, they had me assess myself and we went over any final questions. I received a call the next morning just before 8am letting me know they wanted to make an offer. The process was very quick and easy, although I spent a lot of time preparing for the interview and role play, so it might be more difficult if not properly prepared.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you were creative in order to make your quota. What do you like most/least about sales?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Eagan, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in June 2013.

Interview Details – Very professional interview process,and very well-spoken history of success in their industry, The whole interview process involved not only my direct-report manager, but also the segments we would be supporting, as well as 2 in senior management.

Interview Question – When did you turn around a process that was previously a challenge to the company? What steps and thought processes did you take to make that happen?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very cut-to-the chase - didn't negotiate back & forth. Salary was a take-it-or leave it offer.

Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus. Questions covered basic Computer Science knowledge and then a small code challenge. After several weeks I received an invitation to visit the Eagan, MN campus for a tour and a second interview. The second round of interview were conducted by Senior / Lead Software Engineers from the campus. The questions were more about my technical background and the coursework I had studied in college. Overall not extremely challenging if you payed attention during your coursework.

Interview Question – What is your preferred / favorite programming language and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Took many weeks to receive the initial offer.

Very Difficult Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Eagan, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in January 2013.

Interview Details – I worked as a contractor for 6 months along with around 20 other people working as a compensation analyst. At the end of my contract I had to reapply for my position and only 5 or 6 people were hired on from the pool of contractors, the rest left.

Negotiation Details – No ability to negotiate.

Eagan, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

Interview Details – (Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
-Had I used injection-style testing
-What is TDD
-Had I worked on a team before
-What is data normalization
-What is a Linked List/how is it useful
The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

Negotiation Details – They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Eagan, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was very smooth with HR in scheduling time for interviews. I had three initial interviews with the hiring manager, another manager in the department, and the department vice president. I then had three additional follow-up interviews with two marketing managers and a senior vice president of the department.

The delayed response for feedback/follow-up and an offer was a little frustrating. However, overall, I would rate the experience as very positive.

Interview Question – How will you be able to transition from an accounting background to finance and communicate with business partners.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Eagan, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – Started at an on-campus career fair with a Thomson Reuters recruiter who referred me to the Minneapolis campus for Software Engineering internships. After submitting my resume, was contacted with a brief phone interview about past work and academic experience, no technical questions. After that, was asked to setup an all-day on-campus tour of the tech facility, at which time a more technical interview was held. The on-campus visit was held with a group of others who were also invited, but the interview was held individually. Then had to wait until all campus groups finished, then got offered a summer internship position.

Interview Question – In-person technical interview was among the easier that I've experienced. Was not asked to perform any on-the-spot data structures or algorithm type problem. Mostly asked simple technical programming questions. For example, if doing an SQL query using a left join, what results are returned? Or what's the difference between an interface and a abstract class?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offered compensation was adequate in my opinion. Attempted to see if they'd offer any relocation or housing compensation, but they do not.

Legal Intern Interview

Legal Intern
Eagan, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in September 2013.

Interview Details – Relaxed they asked really basic questions about my personality

Interview Question – How will you manage your time between law school and working?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Software QA Engineer Interview

Software QA Engineer
Eagan, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in September 2010.

Interview Details – There were approximately 4-5 interview each time you apply for a new position. The HR recruiter may or may not have any clue about the position you are applying for. They provide a 1 day high level training and orientation period and provide you with a link to a website for new employees. After that it is all on your manager.

Interview Question – What sets you apart from other applicants?   Answer Question

Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – Very Simple but extremely slow in hiring process. Initial phone interview with HR followed by a technical interview on phone with a team lead and then was invited for an onsite interview (they rarely pay the traveling allowance). The interview questions were very generic and mostly from the textbook. Not many questions from the resume or from the projects.

Interview Question – Very simple questions for example: what is garbage collection in Java, reverse a string, superclass vs subclass etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was allowed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Thomson Reuters

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thomson Reuters interview questions and advice in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN. All 55 interview reviews posted anonymously by Thomson Reuters employees and interview candidates.