Thomson Reuters Interview Questions & Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Corp Tech - Vendor Management Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

I was contacted by a recruiter for the position via e-mail shortly after submitting my application via the career site. We set up a time and date without speaking on the phone. I was told by the recruiter that I would be contacted by phone to do the initial interview. When the interview date and time arrived, I waited twenty minutes past the time that we had decided on, but I did not get a call. The recruiter had not given me a contact number, so I sent an e-mail to the recruiter and asked if he was still available to do the interview. The recruiter called me about one minute after I sent the e-mail, but did not mention anything about being late.

The recruiter seemed genuinely disinterested in his job. He asked me very few questions. The first five minutes of the interview were spent listening to him read what was clearly a scripted description of the position. After he finished, he asked me if I had any questions about the job. I asked him specific questions about the position that were not posted in the job description (i.e. What technical skill sets are needed for the position? What do you anticipate are the expected working hours to perform the job?) His response was literally to re-read the portions of the script. I don't think that he intentionally dodged the questions, but obviously he did not know much about the position. I was asked to describe my background, which I did for the next ten minutes. When I finished, I asked him if he had any questions about my background. He had none. I was contacted about one week later and told that I was not selected for the position.

This is not my first potential job with Thomson Reuters. I was contacted by another recruiter some time back who asked me when I would be available to talk about a position that I had applied to. I then left no less than four voice messages and sent three e-mails with suggested times and dates, but did not get a reply to any of them.

I have interviewed at several large and prestigious firms, and must admit that this was one of the poorest experiences that I have encountered in my job search. Since the interview, I've also spoken with current and former employees of the company, and have learned that the culture and working conditions at Thomson Reuters have deteriorated substantially in recent years. In fact, all but one of the six people whom have given me advice as employees of Thomson Reuters have left the company due to dissatisfaction with their experience there.

I will not be applying for positions at this company any longer, and would suggest anyone who is considering a position with Thomson Reuters to carefully consider other options before choosing to work there.

Senior Technical Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Hiring is first screened by HR so it is helpful to include specific information about how you would be a good candidate for the job you are applying for in your cover letter, along with listing all relevant work experience on your resume, to be sure it is then forwarded on to the hiring manager. Typically a phone interview is first. Be engaging, and upbeat. Next is the in person interview. Support teams are looking for a team player, someone who isn't afraid to help out/is available to help. Often it comes down to relevant experience and how you handled yourself during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Usually a specific scripting question or a linux question to try and gage your knowledge of the application or architecture.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in May 2014.

I found the listing on glassdoor and applied through the Thomson Reuters website on a Tuesday morning. I received an email within about an hour requesting a pre-screen phone interview, which we set up for the next day. The phone interview consisted of very typical questions and a summary of the role with one of their Talent Acquisition Specialists. At the end of the phone interview, we scheduled an in-person interview for Friday afternoon. The interview lasted about an hour. It was a behavioral interview with two of the sales managers. Pretty standard questions. Monday morning I received a call that they wanted to set up a second Role Play interview. We set up the interview for Wednesday afternoon and I was given some information about the products and scenarios to study. After the role play, where I carried out a sales call with of the hiring managers, they had me assess myself and we went over any final questions. I received a call the next morning just before 8am letting me know they wanted to make an offer. The process was very quick and easy, although I spent a lot of time preparing for the interview and role play, so it might be more difficult if not properly prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you were creative in order to make your quota. What do you like most/least about sales?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in June 2013.

Very professional interview process,and very well-spoken history of success in their industry, The whole interview process involved not only my direct-report manager, but also the segments we would be supporting, as well as 2 in senior management.

Interview Questions
    • When did you turn around a process that was previously a challenge to the company? What steps and thought processes did you take to make that happen?   Answer Question
    Very cut-to-the chase - didn't negotiate back & forth. Salary was a take-it-or leave it offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus. Questions covered basic Computer Science knowledge and then a small code challenge. After several weeks I received an invitation to visit the Eagan, MN campus for a tour and a second interview. The second round of interview were conducted by Senior / Lead Software Engineers from the campus. The questions were more about my technical background and the coursework I had studied in college. Overall not extremely challenging if you payed attention during your coursework.

Interview Questions
    • What is your preferred / favorite programming language and why?   Answer Question
    Took many weeks to receive the initial offer.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in January 2013.

I worked as a contractor for 6 months along with around 20 other people working as a compensation analyst. At the end of my contract I had to reapply for my position and only 5 or 6 people were hired on from the pool of contractors, the rest left.

No ability to negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

(Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
    -Had I used injection-style testing
    -What is TDD
    -Had I worked on a team before
    -What is data normalization
    -What is a Linked List/how is it useful
    The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in October 2013.

Interview process was very smooth with HR in scheduling time for interviews. I had three initial interviews with the hiring manager, another manager in the department, and the department vice president. I then had three additional follow-up interviews with two marketing managers and a senior vice president of the department.

The delayed response for feedback/follow-up and an offer was a little frustrating. However, overall, I would rate the experience as very positive.

Interview Questions
    • How will you be able to transition from an accounting background to finance and communicate with business partners.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Started at an on-campus career fair with a Thomson Reuters recruiter who referred me to the Minneapolis campus for Software Engineering internships. After submitting my resume, was contacted with a brief phone interview about past work and academic experience, no technical questions. After that, was asked to setup an all-day on-campus tour of the tech facility, at which time a more technical interview was held. The on-campus visit was held with a group of others who were also invited, but the interview was held individually. Then had to wait until all campus groups finished, then got offered a summer internship position.

Interview Questions
    • In-person technical interview was among the easier that I've experienced. Was not asked to perform any on-the-spot data structures or algorithm type problem. Mostly asked simple technical programming questions. For example, if doing an SQL query using a left join, what results are returned? Or what's the difference between an interface and a abstract class?   View Answer
    Offered compensation was adequate in my opinion. Attempted to see if they'd offer any relocation or housing compensation, but they do not.

Legal Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in September 2013.

Relaxed they asked really basic questions about my personality

Interview Questions
    • How will you manage your time between law school and working?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!