Thomson Reuters Reference Attorney Interview Questions

3.4

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Reference Attorney Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

The process includes a phone interview, and at least 2 in person interviews which may happen on the same day. One person will be taking notes and one asking questions.

Interview Questions
  • The questions are all canned. They do not really want to get to know you, just whether you can accept the fact that it is a crappy job and probably will not like the department policies. Mostly have you ever disagreed with a policy, and how did you handle it, what would you do if there is an unpopular policy etc. When I interviewed there was no, tell us about yourself etc.   Answer Question
No, you cannot negotiate. It is a take it or leave it position.

Other Interview Reviews for Thomson Reuters

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in December 2012.

Upon applying online, I received a telephone interview of about 20 minutes. The interviewer was up front about the salary and the training involved that would take five to six weeks of the initial employment. I was scheduled an interview at the home office in Eagan, MN. The initial on-site interview was conducted by two reference attorneys - one to ask the questions and the other to make notes. Prior to questioning I was given a brief tour and an explanation of how the department is organized. The majority of the questions dealt with asking for specific examples of experiences in customer service related areas.

Following the initial interview, I was taken to a cubicle in order to listen in on a reference attorney taking a call. After about 20 minutes, one of the first interviewers handed me off to one of the hiring managers who took me for more questions with another manager. The questions were again mostly "Tell us a time when...." One thing they did ask was for me to critique the phone call I had listened to.

Upon finishing with this line of questioning, the hiring manager took me to a different room in order to explain how the scheduling works, vacation, benefits, and other HR details. Overall everyone was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • This position involves dealing with people from a variety of backgrounds, culture and circumstances. Tell me a specific time when you dealt with someone of a different culture?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in March 2012.

They asked very specific questions on customer service and wanted very detailed and specific instances in response. Was a little hard to work with because there were no legal questions to work with as I had prepared for. People were friendly. Get all their first and last names because there is no other way to track your interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Has there ever been a policy that you did not agree with and how did you respond.   Answer Question
    • If you do not feel that a particular product is not relevant to your call, would you still market it to the attorney you are working with?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in December 2011.

Telephone call from company to say that they were interested in interviewing me for the Reference Attorney position. (Received a few calls from the same number, but no message left. When I called back the number, I was told that over 6,000 people work there... they couldn't direct me without a name. I asked for the HR department as they might be able to help me - was denied. Please note: I've been receiving lots of spam from the company, even though I'm on a do not contact list, because I'm an attorney... so this was a very weird way to start building a trusting relationship. Finally I received an email which provided me a name and direct contact number.

Person that called, without leaving messages more than 4 times, was a Reference Attorney tasked with calling future reference attorneys to give you the basics ($42,000 yr, no $ provided for relocation or required in-person interview by Jan 6th (email was De 19th,2011, 6 week training program, employee benefits starting on day you begin training, and hours will likely be 11 or noon - 8pm or 9pm b/c seniority dictates schedules. Additionally, even though they are a large company they will NOT provide any HELP with relocation, no information whatsoever.... no information regarding any possible apartment complexes or realtors they work with, not information on possible bus route, nothing. Even though these are things that can be found out individually... with so may people working there... over 6,000 in that location alone, a little partnership would have been nice.)

They refused my request for a telephone interview with a fellow co-worker, HR, potential boss, etc. They also let me know that because of the job market climate they are not flexible with regard to anything, (e.g, telephone interview before in person, I would be required to cover all costs associated with in person interview, moving, etc. and must be done w/in a month because training to start at end of January.) Being that they have 6,000 employees at their home office I asked if I could possibly work with one of their HR professionals that knows the area so that I could find an apartment and/or corporate housing during training... NO. Please note the position is only $42,000 a year so even though you can personally take these as above the line deductions, the amount of money you receive a year still means you will be paying them your first 6 months to work there - at a minimum. Please also note that this is the winter and in Minnesota they salt the streets... so when figuring out your finances consider your car not lasting more than 5 winters and any sale after a winter there will cost your car to be severely reduced in value.

Additionally, I asked for the attrition rate. It looks as though you should consider 50% of the people cannot be found in the company's email database after 12 or 11 months of being hired in this position.

Problem... I know everyone likes different things, but I would really love this position. I've worked in the industry before and found this type of work incredibly rewarding, and have a GREAT track history with being incredibly successful working in a company like this. (Had to stop working last time because of a very bad car accident that required me to take a break from full-time work because I had to get into 15 hour a day rehab from that car accident. To be clear - nothing about my accident ever came up.)

.... However, there were too many red flags or me to take at this time. I decided flying myself to their office for an interview, approx cost now $750-$950 not to mention cab to and from, and take on all the financial costs including breaking a lease that is currently 1/2 the price of equal places in the Eagan area.... without them wiling to mitigate my risks in any way way via a Skype interview with my potential boss, etc. .... I don't think the market place is that bad. Additionally, I'm very concerned about a company that has a 50% attrition rate and doesn't change their ways or be open to possible alterations.

Interview Questions
    • $42,000 a year is the starting salary, no negotiations. Are you willing to accept that.   View Answer
    • Your hours would likely be 11am-9pm because of seniority. Do those hours work for you?   Answer Question

Company portrayed itself as not caring about the potential employee. Big red flag.

Reference Attorney Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

about 3 rounds with 2-3 interviewers, including the hiring manager. They asked for very specific and detailed answers such as what is one time where there was a policy that you did not agree with and how did you resolve it. There was less focus on your background from your resume and more role-playing scenarious instead. Also, be sure to ask for all of their business cards for follow up. Its almost impossible to track anyone down if you dont have their contact info to begin with.

Interview Questions
    • If there was a sales pitch that you felt was not relevant to the current conversation,would you still tell the client about it?

What is a policy that you have disagreed with and how did you resolve it?
        Answer Question

Reference Attorney Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in January 2011.

I interviewed in three sessions with groups of two managers. The first interview was a "specific instance" questions session. The second was an explanation of Thomson's scheduling, vacation, and other company policies. The third interview was a more general question and answer session, and I was able to ask my questions about the company and job. It was a comfortable and pleasant interview, and I really enjoyed the experience. I thought everyone that interviewed me was approachable, and willing to answer questions. I know they did a lot of interviews, so I appreciated that the interviews weren't rushed and I felt like I was being truly listened to.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a specific instance in which you were upset by a customer experience issue.   Answer Question

Reference Attorney Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in November 2009.

Interview started with a brief tour of building up the floor where the Reference Attorneys office. I was interviewed by one person, while another took notes. The questions were all fairly standard: Tell us about a time you faced a major challenge, why did you leave your last employer, why do you want to work here, greatest strengths and weaknesses, what did you like about your last employer, what didn't you like about your last employer and do you have any questions for us.

Very friendly interview, followed by a shadow session with one of the on staff reference attorneys.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you tried your best, but ultimately failed.   Answer Question