Thomson Reuters

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Carrollton, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – Two Interviews Total. One in person with the hiring manager and the team. The second interview was with the VP of the division. The team interview was more technical and the VP interview was more of a personality fit and normal strength/weaknesses type of interview. Process moved slowly because VP had just been promoted and was still in the process of moving.

Interview Question – How did you hear about Thomson Reuters and what is your impression of us. Can you explain to me what Thomson Reuters does?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, offer was exactly what I wanted.

Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus. Questions covered basic Computer Science knowledge and then a small code challenge. After several weeks I received an invitation to visit the Eagan, MN campus for a tour and a second interview. The second round of interview were conducted by Senior / Lead Software Engineers from the campus. The questions were more about my technical background and the coursework I had studied in college. Overall not extremely challenging if you payed attention during your coursework.

Interview Question – What is your preferred / favorite programming language and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Took many weeks to receive the initial offer.

Eagan, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

Interview Details – (Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
-Had I used injection-style testing
-What is TDD
-Had I worked on a team before
-What is data normalization
-What is a Linked List/how is it useful
The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

Negotiation Details – They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – Very Simple but extremely slow in hiring process. Initial phone interview with HR followed by a technical interview on phone with a team lead and then was invited for an onsite interview (they rarely pay the traveling allowance). The interview questions were very generic and mostly from the textbook. Not many questions from the resume or from the projects.

Interview Question – Very simple questions for example: what is garbage collection in Java, reverse a string, superclass vs subclass etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was allowed.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – No phone screening, phone interview is a technical interview.

Interview Question – Asked about iDisposable interface in C#.   Answer Question

Eagan, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in July 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was with two team members who were very laid back. Interview was very technical and the more you know, the more technical they seemed to get (I answered only when I could, let them know I was guessing at some). Generally a very comfortable interview that really focused on what I could do and what my interests were. Second interview was more focused on personality and whether or not I would be a good fit for the team. They seem very keen on finding people that can not only fill the position, but also mesh well.

Interview Question – Nothing too overwhelming. Two I remember are:

How would you take a list of items and remove any duplicates.

How would you check the string "RACECAR" to determine whether or not it is spelled the same forwards as backwards?
  View Answers (2)

Software Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview Details – Applied thru their website, got a call from their recruiter. Scheduled a phone interview, which went well. The engineer who interviewed me told me to make sure to follow up with the HR rep, which I did by phone and email. but I never heard anything back.

Interview Question – Several Data Collections questions, Java API questions   Answer Question

Carrollton, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in June 2013.

Interview Details – Scheduled phone screen with enterprise architect and product development manager. Asked a lot of questions staring with "tell us about yourself". questions about skills in the resume. MS products knowledge a must. support answers with examples.

Interview Question – which language do you hate the most and why?   View Answer

Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initially a recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and asked if I would be interested in a test position. I told him that my aspirations are NOT with in test, strictly with in development. He introduced me to the Director of (3E) Elite’s Engineering department and we chatted. The director asked me if I was interested in Test, and tried to sell me on test – however I was not interested in Test and I made this very clear. He agreed to bring me in for an interview with 3 people.
The first interviewer was the consultant team; the interview was just her selling the company and me to the test position. I was very clear that I was not interested in test (numerous times).
The second interviewer was a software engineer lead. He asked me a few design questions, and presented a block of code that merged xml blobs. He also said he was interested in a test position for me. At this point, it was fairly annoying, I was clear, I am not here for a test position. He questioned me for an extra hour.
The third interviewer, who was the head of QA was aborted, since I was interested in the test position. I assumed when I walked out that I didn’t get the job but it left me thinking about this company:
1. The company doesn’t value employees, it only wants to fill a position / do a job regardless of personal career path.
2. The company isn’t organized and is wasteful of time. If a clear statement is asserted, numerous times, they should not bring a candidate in for an interview for a position the candidate has no interest in.
3. Unprofessional; they never called back to formally say no. They could have the professionalism to do so; however they didn’t. I sent 2 emails asking about the results, and no response. I was very cordial and professional.

This was for Culver City office on 3/29/13.

Interview Question – After saying that I am not interested in a test position; the constant asking if I was interested in a test position.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Thomson Reuters in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had an in as a contractor so the bulk of my interview process was the work that I had already done for the company. This saved me the standard multistep process and gave me a beeline to full-time employment with all its benefits and drawbacks. Thomson does utilize a lot of contractors, so if this is an option for you, I recommend it.

Interview Question – What do you tell a customer who is asking for something that they can't have.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I should've been more aggressive. I think I could've gotten a higher salary. This is hind sight though and may not apply in all cases. Overall, i've heard that salaries could be higher at Thomson Reuters, so be aggressive.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!