Thomson Reuters

Updated Feb 16, 2015
Updated Feb 16, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

First it was a normal phone screening and then a technical phone interview. The call was to test your background and talk about the technologies that you have worked with in the past. Apart from that everything was very straight forward and the hiring process was very quick. After the interview there was a background check and that took a couple of days while they gathered all the information.

Other Interview Reviews for Thomson Reuters

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in October 2014.

The interview is very focused on the degree courses selected with emphasis on Databases and Algorithms. I enjoyed the interview process with questions that provoked one to think. The HR folks were very responsive and helped complete all the necessary paperwork. Brush up on your database knowledge before going for the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

joint campus hiring it was. 1st round was an aptitude test which was really tough followed by technical interview, which was moderate and finally hr interview which was easy and HRs were friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carrollton, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carrollton, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Two Interviews Total. One in person with the hiring manager and the team. The second interview was with the VP of the division. The team interview was more technical and the VP interview was more of a personality fit and normal strength/weaknesses type of interview. Process moved slowly because VP had just been promoted and was still in the process of moving.

Interview Questions
    • How did you hear about Thomson Reuters and what is your impression of us. Can you explain to me what Thomson Reuters does?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, offer was exactly what I wanted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus. Questions covered basic Computer Science knowledge and then a small code challenge. After several weeks I received an invitation to visit the Eagan, MN campus for a tour and a second interview. The second round of interview were conducted by Senior / Lead Software Engineers from the campus. The questions were more about my technical background and the coursework I had studied in college. Overall not extremely challenging if you payed attention during your coursework.

Interview Questions
    • What is your preferred / favorite programming language and why?   Answer Question
    Took many weeks to receive the initial offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in April 2014.

(Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
    -Had I used injection-style testing
    -What is TDD
    -Had I worked on a team before
    -What is data normalization
    -What is a Linked List/how is it useful
    The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Very Simple but extremely slow in hiring process. Initial phone interview with HR followed by a technical interview on phone with a team lead and then was invited for an onsite interview (they rarely pay the traveling allowance). The interview questions were very generic and mostly from the textbook. Not many questions from the resume or from the projects.

Interview Questions
    • Very simple questions for example: what is garbage collection in Java, reverse a string, superclass vs subclass etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was allowed.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

No phone screening, phone interview is a technical interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Applied thru their website, got a call from their recruiter. Scheduled a phone interview, which went well. The engineer who interviewed me told me to make sure to follow up with the HR rep, which I did by phone and email. but I never heard anything back.

Interview Questions
    • Several Data Collections questions, Java API questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in July 2013.

First interview was with two team members who were very laid back. Interview was very technical and the more you know, the more technical they seemed to get (I answered only when I could, let them know I was guessing at some). Generally a very comfortable interview that really focused on what I could do and what my interests were. Second interview was more focused on personality and whether or not I would be a good fit for the team. They seem very keen on finding people that can not only fill the position, but also mesh well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too overwhelming. Two I remember are:

How would you take a list of items and remove any duplicates.

How would you check the string "RACECAR" to determine whether or not it is spelled the same forwards as backwards?

View Answers (2)