Thomson Reuters Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015
Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

I applied online and was given a phone interview, which was easy. They primarily talked about the company and its internship program for half of the phone interview. The technical part is basically a bunch of definitions and an easy logic question.

The on site interview was very relaxed. They asked about my experience and previous projects. There was also a technical question which you weren't expected to completely finish.

The interviewers were nice and made me feel comfortable. The whole process took about 1 month.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an interface and an abstract class?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Thomson Reuters

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

The interview was very friendly and laid back. I first had a phone interview and then an onsite. Toured the facility, met the team, and had three sets of interviews. The interview lasted about 3-4 hours total. They took around 3-4 weeks to reply and had plenty of time to decide.

Interview Questions

Thomson Reuters Response

Mar 30, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your interest and participation in the interview process with Thomson Reuters along with your review.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thomson Reuters.

Interview

First it was a normal phone screening and then a technical phone interview. The call was to test your background and talk about the technologies that you have worked with in the past. Apart from that everything was very straight forward and the hiring process was very quick. After the interview there was a background check and that took a couple of days while they gathered all the information.

Interview Questions

Thomson Reuters Response

Apr 3, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your your time, participation and review of the interview process. Welcome to Thomson Reuters!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

A large number of phones calls to people in different locations. At the end I was brought onsite to their NYC office. Met with a number of people, got to see what they are working on, asked questions and that was it. It was extremely disorganized process from top to bottom. In the end they claimed that I did not have certain technical experience that they were looking for. It was made very clear what skills I did and did not have as I have worked in very specific environments in my career. I found it quite odd that at the end of the interview process their claim to not continue was that I was missing certain skills that were explicitly spelled out from the beginning. A complete waste of time for so many people involved.

Interview Questions

• Absolutely nothing technical, just basic questions like how many years have you been using XYZ.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thomson Reuters in October 2014.

Interview

The interview is very focused on the degree courses selected with emphasis on Databases and Algorithms. I enjoyed the interview process with questions that provoked one to think. The HR folks were very responsive and helped complete all the necessary paperwork. Brush up on your database knowledge before going for the interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

joint campus hiring it was. 1st round was an aptitude test which was really tough followed by technical interview, which was moderate and finally hr interview which was easy and HRs were friendly.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters (Carrollton, TX).

Interview

Two Interviews Total. One in person with the hiring manager and the team. The second interview was with the VP of the division. The team interview was more technical and the VP interview was more of a personality fit and normal strength/weaknesses type of interview. Process moved slowly because VP had just been promoted and was still in the process of moving.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Thomson Reuters and what is your impression of us. Can you explain to me what Thomson Reuters does?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, offer was exactly what I wanted.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Thomson Reuters (Eagan, MN).

Interview

Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was on my college campus. Questions covered basic Computer Science knowledge and then a small code challenge. After several weeks I received an invitation to visit the Eagan, MN campus for a tour and a second interview. The second round of interview were conducted by Senior / Lead Software Engineers from the campus. The questions were more about my technical background and the coursework I had studied in college. Overall not extremely challenging if you payed attention during your coursework.

Interview Questions

• What is your preferred / favorite programming language and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Took many weeks to receive the initial offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters (Eagan, MN) in April 2014.

Interview

(Note: I was previously an intern at this company) After submitting my resume online I was contacted by someone in HR and offered to attended a company meet-and-greet program, which i declined because I was unable to make the time to go there. I was subject to an in person meeting (note: for hiring full time I believe this is a requirement; no phone interview). After arriving on campus, I was given an interview from two people who asked me a variety of questions, including:
    -Had I used injection-style testing
    -What is TDD
    -Had I worked on a team before
    -What is data normalization
    -What is a Linked List/how is it useful
    The remainder of the questions were about previous experience/accomplishments as well as things I had put on my resume such as classes, previous experiences, coding styles, etc. (Note: They WILL ask you about stuff on your resume--make sure you know what you're talking about).

As a point of advice I took long periods to discuss projects I had worked on, ex: "I made a large project by myself / I created this interesting algorithm / I realized that I did x,y,z wrong, and I learned a,b,c..." This demonstrates a variety of skills and can shift the interview away from just being a test (e.g. What is data normalization)

Afterwards I was treated to some lunch and four representatives from hiring teams told me about their operations, in which I could ask questions. Then I was shown around the campus and dropped off at the doors. In full it took me about 3 hours total. By the time I had driven home (~4 hours) I had received a call saying they were interested in hiring me.

Negotiation

They offered me 63k starting, I tried to negotiate it (perhaps poorly) and the offer remained 63k. The HR rep. I was talking through was accepting of the idea of negotiating. I had assumed it would be bartered, so I asked for higher than what I really wanted (68k, was going for 65k). Combined with poor negotiation, my work inexperience, and it being after a period of layoffs, the offer remained at 63k. Future interviewers should try not bartering and just say their desired starting price.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thomson Reuters (Eagan, MN).

Interview

Very Simple but extremely slow in hiring process. Initial phone interview with HR followed by a technical interview on phone with a team lead and then was invited for an onsite interview (they rarely pay the traveling allowance). The interview questions were very generic and mostly from the textbook. Not many questions from the resume or from the projects.

Interview Questions

• Very simple questions for example: what is garbage collection in Java, reverse a string, superclass vs subclass etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was allowed.