Thomsons Online Benefits Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2015

2.5

Director - Sales Interview

Interview

Chris Wakely was a strong interviewer. He seems to convey a great picture of the sales vision on where Thomsons wants to go. Chris also outlines the next steps while ensuring to maintain the strong culture.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you will be a good fit for the Thomsons positive culture?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Thomsons Online Benefits (Burlingame, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Red Flags everywhere! Spoke to a (very nice) recruiter and then I had a phone interview where the person spoke to me for about 30 minutes about the position before I could even say anything. They wanted to sell me the position so badly because the guy was so sick of being in an office by himself "calling people that did not want to talk to him." I was so hung up on all of the positives he was spewing out of his mouth that I didn't really ask any questions, and that's my fault. My in-person interview was so drawn-out that it took a few times rescheduling times to find one that worked. They made me wait 2 hours for the interview... told me that they are looking to make an offer within the next 2 weeks and then schedule my last interview 2.5 weeks after that. Nothing specific stood out about the process, I don't think they cared about if I knew what the company did, only that I had sales experience and wanted to change jobs. Needless to say, we parted ways during my 4th week with the business.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Thomsons Online Benefits (Burlingame, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. Then I had a phone interview. The following Friday I did an in office interview.. The office is small but nice and you may or may not have a free parking space. During the interview I was told applicants would be required to take a competency test for English and Math. I conferred with another person who also did an interview with them and they were not asked to take a competency test, in fact it was never mentioned in her interview. Then they never followed through with providing me the test info. I was really surprised by that. If you say you are going to do something- do it. Or if I was not the candidate they were looking for they could have said that. In fact, I would have liked some feedback on my interview in general. When they did not contact me when they said they were I sent an email and was completely ignored.

*Update- I was contact by email and asked to remove names. Which I have complied.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Thomsons Online Benefits (Burlingame, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter regarding this "fantastic" position but was not prepared at all for it. I was given what was considered a spark notes version and regret moving forward. My hopes were high based on what I was told and felt I did well during the phone interview. I felt I had a good shot and was advised I would take an assessment test like it was no big deal. After the in person interview, I was told I was one of the favorites based on what I said which again led me even more. Once I was emailed the test, I was advised to prepare which I did. Ummm let me say the test was a joke! This "assessment test" measured people for things that did not seem relevant to connecting with people and bringing out a personality to sell. It's very black and white and did not seem logical for the position offered. The questions were not easy what so ever and only 4% pass I guess?

Implementation Consultant Interview

Interview

Phone interview followed by assessment centre with case study and final interview. This was quick and the call back time was good. Interviewers were well informed and made you feel at ease.

People Operations Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Thomsons Online Benefits.

Interview

Throughout my interview process I met with my manager, the rest of the team, the CFO and CEO. All were lovely, very engaging and clearly loved working at Thomsons, which really influenced my decision to work here. As there were quite a few people to meet, the interview process took a little longer than some others... but it was worth the wait!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was offered the salary I had asked for

Customer Service Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Thomsons Online Benefits (Singapore (Singapore)) in November 2014.

Interview

Interviewed at the Singapore office for the position of CSA. Went through both interviews and was offered a position. HR person was very friendly, and Team Lead seemed like a reasonable person, but the General Manager was rude and negative during the second interview. I was offered the position but rejected it as I did not feel comfortable with the GM.

Interview Questions

• How would you act if you find that the team you join is very tight knit, and unwilling to include a newcomer?

You speak and write Mandarin fluently, but since you're not actually Chinese would you feel uncomfortable around Mandarin speaking people?

Answer Question

General Manager that did the second interview was extremely hostile throughout the entire interview. He's had a lot of turnover for the position, and is convinced any candidate will do the same after coming on board. No matter what I said, he told me that my response was invalid, and acted like it was all a waste of his time. He also informed me that there was no chance of any advancement until one had been with the company for at least 2-3 years, though their HR person had informed me otherwise. When told that I would require some time to think it over if there was an offer (there was no actual offer on the table yet at the time, and I had no idea of the benefits or compensation offered for the position), he told me off for not being interested, as a genuine candidate would accept the position without need for consideration (apparently despite having no clue of the compensation/benefits).

I was surprised to get an offer after that experience, but I guess the HR person and Team Lead that interviewed me during the first interview had a say as well. Though the team lead tried to assure me that I would report directly to her, and would not need to report to the GM, the Singapore office is fairly small, so one is bound to encounter him regularly. The compensation offered was also on the low side, which I would not have minded had I felt comfortable with the leadership, or was convinced that there was opportunity for learning and growth.

A week later I was offered a Management Trainee job that offered more money, despite the fact that it was a trainee position.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Thomsons Online Benefits (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The hiring process was relatively good. However, even though it was mentioned that I was one of the strongest candidate there was no offer at the end and no substantial reason was given.

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Thomsons Online Benefits (London, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

I was signed up by Victoria Wall Associated who found the role for me, I then received a telephone interview which was followed by a face-to-face interview with the current co-ordinator and my line manager before the final stage which was an interview with our CEO and the people's director. The interviews were a good length (15-20 mins) and everyone was really friendly.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember there being any difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to propose my salary, which they increased.

Confidential Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Thomsons Online Benefits in August 2013.

Interview

Unprofessional, rigid and very very slow recruitment. 4-5 interviews spanning over 2 months at the rate they were going. Not worth the hassle.
    The first interview went very fine, then at the beginning of the next week, I was asked what my availability was the current week, I answered and gave a couple of available days. I never got a reply that week. Why would they even ask of my availability that week if they didn't even bother to reply ?!?
    Then the strangest thing happened, at the middle of the next week they asked if i'm available ONE week AFTER (2 weeks later than it should have been according to their "availability that week" query); only to be emailed that day, a mere 3 hours before the interview, that they will have to cancel it, no explanation, just like that out of the blue, telling me that they'd come back with some further news later that day. They failed to keep that commitment too. What if I didn't check my email 3 hours before the interview ? I never got a phone from them ... You get the big picture ...