Thoratec Corp

Updated Aug 26, 2014

2.8

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in August 2014.

Initial phone interview with HR, followed by hiring manager. Two follow-up rounds in-person. First one to meet with managers and directors in marketing followed by a meeting with VP. Very smart team. Questions included 5 yrs goal, long-term goal, walk me through your resume, weakness, strength, how would you define value proposition of Thoratec business

Interview Questions
    • how would you define value proposition of Thoratec business   Answer Question

Offer was very promising. Team is very smart. Great leadership/management. I had another offer that aligned with my long term goal.

Senior Firmware Engineer (R&D) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in August 2014.

I was contacted by their in-house recruiter and had a short phone interview.
    About 10 days later had a phone interview with the head of the firmware group.
    In-house interview was scheduled about 2 weeks later.
    In-house interview went from 10am till 3pm and included lunch.
    Interviewed 30-45 minutes with several members of the team.
    All interviewer were prepared and easy to talk to.
    Most questions were based upon the understanding my background and experience.

Overall, a very pleasant interview experience.

Also, received notice about 2 weeks after the in-house interview that they had selected another candidate. Disappointing, but its nice to know the results.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were based upon the understanding my background and experience.
      Not any real detailed technical questions.

Answer Question

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in April 2010.

The usual phone screening than onsite interview. Everybody is very professional. Questions are mostly technical questions.

none, offer was fair.

Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Thoratec Corp.

I applied to Thoratec because I felt that the company was a good fit considering my experience with VADs. After submitting my resume, I was contacted by phone by an HR rep in California. They then decided to bring me in (at their expense) for an interview in Burlington, MA. After interviewing with about 5 people, all signs were pointing to an offer. Weeks turned to months without a response (as I continued to hound them for answers). HR in California was extremely irresponsible and unresponsive to phone and e-mail inquiries. Finally, after speaking to HR several times in person and requesting status updates, I got a short, heartless response by e-mail telling me that the job was offered to someone else. Very disappointed with both the outcome and the lack of professionalism displayed by the staffing with Thoratec.

Interview Questions
    • All questions mostly stemmed from my resume. I was prepared to talk about most of the questions asked to me.   Answer Question

Market Development Specialist Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in March 2012.

Great people and a fair, decent process.

Interview Questions
    • What are the hurdles in your current job and how do you overcome them?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in September 2011.

HR followed up promptly upon submitting my application online. Phone interview was scheduled, a week after the phone interview the company hadn't gotten back to me. Called two weeks after the interview still no decision had been reached and no response on further inquiries.

Software Quality Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in August 2011.

Hiring process was straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • How can you conduct a unit test on software written in assembly.   View Answer
    No negotiations were conducted.

Marketing Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in February 2011.

Fairly straight forward. Description of experience and how it applies to their mission.

Interview Questions
    • How would you drive referrals into implanting centers   View Answer

Market Development Specialist Interview

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in August 2010.

Brutally long process. Phone interview followed by five face to face interviews, plus meetings with potential partners. After all of this, plus a final interview with the National Sales Director, the "other" candidate was chosen. It seemed as though they were looking for someone better than me all along. Instead of being up front and saying no, I was strung along and wasted all of this time for absolutely nothing. Throughout the process, everything was shady, especially towards the end. A lack of consistent answers really showed at the final stage, as no one could give me a straight answer. A very unprofessional organization and process.

R&D Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thoratec Corp in January 2010.

Nothing special.