ThoughtWorks Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Aug 5, 2015

3.5

Associate Consultant - Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1. Initial Questions form, other people have listed many of the questions. Fill this out and send it to them. Won't be used again. 2. Phone Interview, basic and easy 3. Office Tour and Tests: Logic test made by developers (numbers and grammar game) and a Wonderlic test. 4. Interview Day: Sink Test: Walk through how you would "test" a sink. (Make sure to see the sink through multiple different users) Turns into how you would test the internet. (Make sure you can compare testing a sink to testing the internet.) AND Values/Social Justice Interview. Have some things you are passionate about. AND Walk a couple through buying a kitchen. In this part time is crucial. They just want to hire more of themselves, they have one way of doing things and that's how they want you to do it. One of my interviewers forgot about the interview so it started an hour late. Definitely the most unique and most time consuming interview process I've ever been through.

Interview Questions

• Where do the poor and or oppressed people live in your city? Who are these people?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about affirmative action?   Answer Question

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with the recruiter. This was followed up with three coding challenge problems and I had to submit one of them. The code challenge took 3 days to complete and submitted online. I then had a phone screen with a senior consultant at the company for about 45 minutes. The conclusion was an on site interview and two tests. Conversations started with technical and soft skills, followed with a pair programming session on my code challenge problem (we extended it) and then lots of soft skills.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to pick this coding challenge problem vs one of the others?   Answer Question

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

My recruiter contacted me the very next day after submitting my profile to ThoughtWorks website. She indicated that TW is looking for senior technologists and influential consultants (like myself) to help shape their client engagements in North America. From what I understand, ThoughWorks has a lot of green talent (new college grads, and those making a career change), along with a cadre of long-timers who are less-willing to travel to client sites these days. So at this point, they're interested in filling the gap by hiring new Lead and Principal consultants who have flexibility to travel at least four days per week, from their home-base. (No need to relocate to TW hub.) My interview experience consisted of the following: - Background, Skills & Interests screening with the recruiter over the phone. - Fulfilled a fun test-driven development programming problem, at home. It took about 8 hours to complete. - Personality test (online) - Flight & one night hotel stay in Chicago prior to in-person interview at corporate headquarters. (I was surprised to learn that TW HQ is simply two nearly vacant floors of a tall office building.) - One hour interview about my consulting & engineering team leadership skills - One hour interview about TW's "Third Pillar". - One hour pair programming interview, refactoring & enhancing my programming exercise on my laptop. - Lunch (in a conference room by myself) - 15 minute IQ Test - 45 minute Logic Test consisting of strange state-flow diagrams (not fun). - Short tour around the office - A few days later I was invited to a video conference with the Chicago office Director. -- He spent about an hour going on and on about TW's client engagement model. -- Than he asked a few questions about my career path & what I would see myself doing within their organization. At that time he used bully-tactics to pigeon-hole me into a much lower-paying role (Lead rather than Principle). Not cool. - A few days later my Recruiter contacted me to offer a role that payed much less than my expectations. So I politely declined.

Interview Questions

• TW "Third Pillar" questions: -- What's the difference between tolerance and acceptance? -- What are you passionate about regarding social justice? How could you make a difference?   Answer Question

Didn't meet my salary expectations.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Two day process. First day was logic assessments (Wonderlic test, Flow Chart Logic Test developed by ThoughtWorks) and a group project (designing a floor plan for Puggles). Second day was 5 minute presentation on any STEM topic (with 1 hour prep time). Then some technical interview questions. Then a values interview (really a grab bag about anything you put on your questionnaire. Also be aware of what is happening in the world). Lastly, a pair programming exercise where you review your code that you sent in. Just finished the interview so I have not yet heard back on an offer. (Putting NO until further notice.)

Interview Questions

• What is the reward that you gain from helping others learn?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

gave a coding assignment to see how good at oop you were. You can code in c++ or Java, it was up to you. There was an online video interview afterwards. A questionnaire that was oddly political was also involved. Did not really ask much about technical skills, as the recruiter was in HR and not a programmer.

Interview Questions

• design a program that accepts directional input and outputs where those inputs will take you on an nxm grid   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

The process took well over 2 months in total. I first applied through the LinkedIn Jobs Board. I was contacted by one of their "Talent Scouts" via email with a lot of information about the company. Also included was a questionnaire and a programming test; both were fairly straight forward. The questionnaire had questions like, "What is one thing you have taught yourself during your own free time," or "You have been appointed Ruler of the World. What are the 5 most important things you will do while ruler?" The programming test had 3 questions and allowed you to choose and develop one in any of the three listed languages (Java, Ruby, and C#). I personally wrote my solution in C# because I had been using C++ for the past 2 years, however, the company mainly has projects that use Java and Ruby on Rails. After I had submitted both the questionnaire and programming test, it was a long process of waiting to hear back. I sent a follow up email about 2-3 weeks after submitting the questionnaire and test just to check if I was still being considered for a position. They emailed me a week later asking what day the following week would be best for a phone interview. As others have posted on here, the phone interview is a personal discussion about your desires and aspirations for the future and for working with ThoughtWorks. They are also looking to see if you keep yourself busy by your own free will. They have something within the company called "The Beach" which is where all idle workers go to stay busy with personal work or helping on other projects. It took a week and a half to hear back, but I finally was told that I made it through to the in-person, 2 day interview process. This process was really laid back. I never felt nervous at any point, even during the technical interviews. Be warned, if you think you're right for the job because you have a background in Comp Sci, then you are in for a shock. This company is very reliant on "equal opportunity" and they bring in anyone. I had people with backgrounds ranging from economics to education without any Comp Sci degree or experience apart from the Dev Boot Camp 5 month course. They really don't weigh your worth based on your knowledge of the theory and concepts of programming. Be ready to be grilled on your cultural background and your social views. If you don't enjoy a more liberal approach to the workplace, then you may want to reconsider your application. You won't find many conservative minds at this company. The first day of interviews were more about getting settled in their office. Everyone that was in my group got together to talk about each other so we can more fully understand everyone's background. We had a discussion on your personal thoughts of meritocracy. This is where I had the biggest issue with the company. It felt more like entrapment than an actual discussion. They already knew the answer they wanted to hear, but they wanted to see how you would respond. You can discern the answer to the question yourself. After the meritocracy discussion, we took 2 assessments, the Wonderlic test and a test designed and developed by ThoughtWorkers. The Wonderlic is straight forward; you can find the test online for free. The ThoughtWorks logic test was so simple. It's very basic logic based thinking. If you can follow the directions and think through the problem like a programmer would, then you're going to blow through it in no time. I finished in 20 minutes leaving me 40 minutes to double and triple check my work to make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes. Surprisingly, others didn't even finish which was quite astonishing. The second day was where the real interview process began. They give you a schedule that outlines what interview you have at what time and in what room of the office. There is two technical interviews, one where you refactor your code through pair-programming with an actual ThoughWorker and one where you discuss your education background in development. The education background technical interview also included a STEM presentation that you were to create with little time to prepare and then present to 2 interviewers. It also included a Tic-Tac-Toe problem which was very easy to work your way through. If you take the steps of TDD (Test-Driven Development) and make small, quick iterations on your AI process, then you should be able to create a non-losing strategy. The last interview that part of the day is the culture interview. This interview is very much like the the phone interview, but they ask you even more hypothetical questions to see how you will respond. I was asked, "What is one person you would not want to work with," and "What is one industry you would not want to work in."

Interview Questions

• "What is one thing in the recent news that has upset you."   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

phone interview

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Got the lead through campus job fair. First round was a coding assignment. I had to choose one of three questions and submit my code and allied files in one week. I chose a question of medium simplicity so I could show off my object oriented knowledge and code portability and best practices principles. After this I had to submit a questionaire. This was way too lengthy and to me pointless. It is supposedly to assess creative thinking. Next came the logical assessment round. This took half a day at their Chicago office. A bunch of applicants, including me went through logical tests- these were timed tests; and needed intense concentration to complete in time allocated. Then we were formed into teams to work on some problems. It tested a combination of skills- logic, business sense, math ability, presentation. The activity itself was fun though. (I was teamed with 2 people applying for BA and QA roles respectively. ) All this was followed by a behavioural interview a week later. This is where I started getting some inkling that I probably am not going to make the cut. I was asked a lot of questions regarding college curriculum, learning habits, current affairs. I was also asked questions on any social cause dear to me. I am not much into social causes (which is a big point at thoughtworks), so those Qs did not really do my interview any good. I also probably did not do myself any good by saying that I do not have any issues traveling and stuff so long as the projects are challenging. Maybe that was a bad idea. But overall, the interviewers and employees at their office seemed quite enthusiastic and knowledgeable and courteous. Even their rejection letter came within a week so, I was not left in limbo or anything.

Interview Questions

• Name a recent technology trend that you read about. What is your style of learning? How do you gain knowledge from others, especially from people younger than you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in July 2013.

Interview

Just as previous entries on here, the interview process ran as follows: 1) Brief phone call (to see if I was still looking for employment, etc) 2) Questionnaire 3) Coding challenge 4) Another phone call (mostly the recruiter discussing details of the job) 5) Invitation to Chicago HQ to complete: (a) Logic assessment (b) STEM presentation (c) Technical interview (Pair-programming) (d) Non-technical interview (Discuss the values of the company, your values and how the two align) My biggest advice is to be super well-versed in your contribution to the non-technical portion - for instance, don't make a passing remark about how we should aim to eliminate poverty unless you have some ideas on how to achieve it. They don't drill or interrogate you aggressively, but they do expect you to be able to (have and) communicate personal ideals and ideas. The technical portion is very straight-forward. It consisted of very basic OOP questions. As for the pair-programming, my interviewers (of which there were two) were friendly and helpful with refactoring my submitted code. It was like a mini seminar on TDD. Good luck! (The interview process took a very long time for me - it ran on and off because I was still in school full-time)

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the political state of _______ (where you're from).   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as this was an entry-level position.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in July 2013.

Interview

Applied for the Junior Consultant position online and received the 3 programming questions a few weeks later. Completed the Mars Rover example (without JUnit, in case anyone is wondering if its necessary) and received the "positive feedback on your assignment" email with the questionnaire about a week after. A week after sending in the questionnaire I received an email with details for a phone interview with a recruiter. The phone interview was HR based with no technical questions. Unfortunately I stumbled at this part but the process as a whole was a great experience. Good luck guys!

Interview Questions

• What scientific or technological concept have you taught yourself outside of school/work?   1 Answer
    • What was your best and worst team experience?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to be a developer?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about our Social Impact program?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you laughed really hard or made someone laugh. Who were you with? What happened?   1 Answer