ThoughtWorks Interview Questions

3.6

Consultant Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

I turned in my resume and within a few days I heard back form a recruiter who had text questions she wanted me to answer about my values. After that there was a code test. Then a multiple day in person interview the SF office. I'm used to tech question in interviews but they asked a lot about me as a person.

Set offers.

Graduate Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manchester, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

First of all I had a phone interview about my motivation to work in TW. After that I was immediately given a Mars Rover problem to program. I sent it in 3 days. Couple of days later I was said that my code was successfully reviewed. After that I was invited for full assessment day which consisted of: two logic tests, code review, social justice talk and my presentation about anything I am passionate about. After that I was said that i am invited for final interview.

No negotiations

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in February 2014.

It was a very involved process spanning a few months. Phone interview -> Coding Project -> Code Review -> Second phone interview -> All day in person interview -> Negotiation. The motto of their interview is show us what you can do. I would use this model if I ever run my own company.

Interview Questions
    • The volume and variety questions asked by several different people.   Answer Question
    A quick run through on the phone where I gave an average salary from Glassdoor and it was accepted.

Software Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I thought this was my dream job, I loved the agile development process and outreach done by the company. I met the recruiters at a computer science conference, where I did pair programming on some code I had written. It went very well and I was excited to get flown out to New York City for a 2 day interview. The interview was a HORRIBLE experience, it was much more focused on political beliefs than programming or consulting abilities. I'm pretty sure some of the questions they asked me were illegal in an interview. They are strongly against meritocracy, we argued a lot and by the end they openly claimed to be anti-American and socialist. They told me I was disadvantaged for being a woman and that I only got to where I was because I was privileged. Awful experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your stand on meritocracy (i.e. the idea people should be rewarded for hard work and ability)?   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

Was referred by an acquaintance. Had one phone interview, but I was not a match for the position they were seeking to fill. Unfortunately I was not told what the position they were trying to fill actually was until the end of the conversation about my background and skill sets, so I ended up not talking about the most relevant parts of my experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2011.

They flew me to Chicago where I spent several hours doing tests.

2 hours in the morning on skills testing then 3 1 hour interviews after lunch: (a) pairing interview: some pair programming; (b) technical interview; (c) values and consulting interview.

It has been a while now but what was clear was that they were probing me for my political opinions. That was surprising and seemed unprofessional. I was mostly non-committal in my responses. I had the impression they were looking for more enthusiastic endorsement of the various political causes they mentioned. They apparently don't want a diversity of opinion within their walls.

No offer. Quite happy to pass them up too. Struck me as being a rather odd shop, condescending, intolerant, unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • What did I think about boycotting the state of Israel?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in October 2013.

I met a recruiter at the Grace Hopper Conference in Minneapolis in October. While there I took two of their tests, the Wonderlic test and a basic, hour long logic test. Waited about a month before hearing back from them asking me to send in a code sample (they gave me three problems and I had to choose one to solve). Once that was submitted, I had to fill out a graduate questionnaire which took about an hour. Be careful to think about your answers because I was asked about my answers during the final round interviews. After I had submitted both of those I had to wait a few weeks before getting an hour long HR interview with a recruiter. It wasn't much like an interview, and more like a conversation about your beliefs, topics you're interested in, etc. At the end of the interview, the recruiter told me she'd be setting me up for a final round of interviews in San Francisco. Went to SF, had 1 group interview and 3 interviews and a STEM presentation. The group interview was the puggle problem (I think a few other people posted about it) with people interviewing for all different TW positions (not just JC). Basically, the problem is about communication and optimization. The problem asks you to make a house with the lowest cost possible. My group successfully did this and our interviewer said it was the lowest cost she'd seen. The other group with us in the room decided to make a really fun house and not pay attention to the cost requirement and I think the interviewer was disappointed in this. So make sure you remember to follow requirements (seems obvious...). The next day, the first interview was the pair programming where two programmers come in and talk to you about your code you'd sent in earlier. They didn't have much to improve so they gave me an extension problem to implement with them. Both were really nice and very patient and helped me walk through the problem. Second interview was the Values interview. I'd recommend you're updated on current events and have a few issues you're passionate or knowledgable about. Third interview was the Technical interview. Pretty basic stuff. My interviewers were both pretty young and were both in the JC program so I got to ask them a lot about their work. You also present your STEM presentation to them. You basically get an hour to make a 5 minute presentation about any topic in science, technology, engineering or medicine and present it to your technical interviewers.

No negotiations allowed

Software Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in April 2012.

First a HR phone call to introduce the company. Then code assessment. Then onsite interview. There were four rounds 1. Logic thinking. 2. Cultural interview. 3. Technical interview. 4. Pairing interview

They informed me the offer and I accepted. No negotiation.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in November 2013.

Got the lead through campus job fair.
    First round was a coding assignment. I had to choose one of three questions and submit my code and allied files in one week. I chose a question of medium simplicity so I could show off my object oriented knowledge and code portability and best practices principles.
    After this I had to submit a questionaire. This was way too lengthy and to me pointless. It is supposedly to assess creative thinking.
    Next came the logical assessment round. This took half a day at their Chicago office. A bunch of applicants, including me went through logical tests- these were timed tests; and needed intense concentration to complete in time allocated. Then we were formed into teams to work on some problems. It tested a combination of skills- logic, business sense, math ability, presentation. The activity itself was fun though. (I was teamed with 2 people applying for BA and QA roles respectively. )
    All this was followed by a behavioural interview a week later. This is where I started getting some inkling that I probably am not going to make the cut. I was asked a lot of questions regarding college curriculum, learning habits, current affairs. I was also asked questions on any social cause dear to me. I am not much into social causes (which is a big point at thoughtworks), so those Qs did not really do my interview any good. I also probably did not do myself any good by saying that I do not have any issues traveling and stuff so long as the projects are challenging. Maybe that was a bad idea. But overall, the interviewers and employees at their office seemed quite enthusiastic and knowledgeable and courteous. Even their rejection letter came within a week so, I was not left in limbo or anything.

Interview Questions
    • Name a recent technology trend that you read about.
      What is your style of learning? How do you gain knowledge from others, especially from people younger than you?
        Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

the process was very pretentious - I could feel the condescension in the interviewers' questions and style. Obviously she was 'drinking the kool-aid' there and acted as if very few are worthy of working there.

Interview Questions
    • was trying to dig into my political views which was inappropriate - was asking in a very back-door way   Answer Question

Worked for ThoughtWorks? Contribute to the Community!