ThoughtWorks

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

3.6

Junior Consultant Interview

Really long and unnecessary interview process. You will need to complete a coding challenge. My advice would be not to choose the routes problem--it takes much too long and I don't think it even helps move you forward much as the other problems are much easier. Also needed to fill out a long survey with behavioral questions, then have another interview with the recruiter before moving on to the final round. I chose not to move forward in their process after that as I was not extremely interested in the company.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

After filling out their questionnaire, which was very different from other interview processes I've come across, I had followed up a couple times and finally got a phone interview 2 months later.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg, WI

I applied through other source – interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

i submitted my cv through LinkedIn and I got a response within 2 hours from the recruiter she sent me and email to complete basic questions. She scheduled a telephonic interview and asked basic questions about such as tell me about yourself, how did you hear of TW and explained the culture of the company.

She sent me a case to complete by applying Business Process Modeling and drawing a facilitation plan.

Interview Questions
    • the case was challenging and asked for specific business analysis techniques   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I met with the company representative at a college career fair. They sent me documents and a programming assignment to complete after one week. It took me a while to finish up the programming assignment because I also had to manage my heavy class schedule at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • It was a programming task from scratch. They literally wanted me to code some graphing algorithm in Java to find the shortest possible path in a given graph. The Java program I supposed to write had to have a good object oriented design, had to read the graph from a file, had to create a graph out of it and it had to solve the problems provided in an efficient way. It took me 2 days to finish up the fully working Java code.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in October 2014.

Interview through Skype-like software, and it was broken on ThoughtWork's end. It was embarrassing for me and them, bad start to the interview. Ended up being phone interview, which was really bizarre - they asked me questions about what social justice or injustice meant, if I knew the 3 pillars of Thoughtworks (me, someone being in web development, did not see the three pillars because it looks a lot like a current web design trend. If you take a look at their pillars, notice how the one on the far right is red? And the part about technology is not? Yup, I find that particular detail very telling of the company), what does oppressed groups mean to me, what it meant in to be oppressed in the US. When I told her that to me oppressed groups for me meant human rights violated people and gave examples around the world, she was very dismissive and told me, "ok but those are things that are happening around the world, what about oppressed people in the US?" What on earth, did she just dismiss the human rights violations of the world in favor of "oppressed" groups in the US?

Position wasn't really what I wanted but I was interested in the company and the new business analyst role touched upon my field. I just didn't feel like they were looking at my abilities as an ux designer, and more of my political/social justice warrior front. I do civil hackathons and projects all the time, so I was excited that they seemed to want social justice warriors in technology, but I fail to see how any of their products reflect that? I see that they do some stuff on the side but it's not really related to the company...

Kicker was the salary of the business analyst position - well under half of my current offers. I left the phone interview confused and upset that I wasn't able to showcase my abilities as a UI developer and the fact that those suffering in the face of corruption in South Africa, Middle East, or North Korea were dismissed for the problems of gay people or those without medical care in the US. Yes both suck, but you can't tell me that people going to concentration camps in NK compare to coming out in the US. The interviewer also never went into detail and rattled these questions and came off as very pretentious and judgmental if my answer didn't agree with her viewpoint.

No thank you ThoughtWorks, never again.

Interview Questions
    • What does social injustice mean to you? What does oppressed groups of people mean to you?   Answer Question

Software Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I thought this was my dream job, I loved the agile development process and outreach done by the company. I met the recruiters at a computer science conference, where I did pair programming on some code I had written. It went very well and I was excited to get flown out to New York City for a 2 day interview. The interview was a HORRIBLE experience, it was much more focused on political beliefs than programming or consulting abilities. I'm pretty sure some of the questions they asked me were illegal in an interview. They are strongly against meritocracy, we argued a lot and by the end they openly claimed to be anti-American and socialist. They told me I was disadvantaged for being a woman and that I only got to where I was because I was privileged. Awful experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your stand on meritocracy (i.e. the idea people should be rewarded for hard work and ability)?   View Answer

Graduate Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

First of all I had a phone interview about my motivation to work in TW. After that I was immediately given a Mars Rover problem to program. I sent it in 3 days. Couple of days later I was said that my code was successfully reviewed. After that I was invited for full assessment day which consisted of: two logic tests, code review, social justice talk and my presentation about anything I am passionate about. After that I was said that i am invited for final interview.

No negotiations

Consultant Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

I turned in my resume and within a few days I heard back form a recruiter who had text questions she wanted me to answer about my values. After that there was a code test. Then a multiple day in person interview the SF office. I'm used to tech question in interviews but they asked a lot about me as a person.

Set offers.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

Was referred by an acquaintance. Had one phone interview, but I was not a match for the position they were seeking to fill. Unfortunately I was not told what the position they were trying to fill actually was until the end of the conversation about my background and skill sets, so I ended up not talking about the most relevant parts of my experience.

Human Resources Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

the process was very pretentious - I could feel the condescension in the interviewers' questions and style. Obviously she was 'drinking the kool-aid' there and acted as if very few are worthy of working there.

Interview Questions
    • was trying to dig into my political views which was inappropriate - was asking in a very back-door way   Answer Question