ThoughtWorks Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.6

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I met with the company representative at a college career fair. They sent me documents and a programming assignment to complete after one week. It took me a while to finish up the programming assignment because I also had to manage my heavy class schedule at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • It was a programming task from scratch. They literally wanted me to code some graphing algorithm in Java to find the shortest possible path in a given graph. The Java program I supposed to write had to have a good object oriented design, had to read the graph from a file, had to create a graph out of it and it had to solve the problems provided in an efficient way. It took me 2 days to finish up the fully working Java code.   View Answer

Software Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I thought this was my dream job, I loved the agile development process and outreach done by the company. I met the recruiters at a computer science conference, where I did pair programming on some code I had written. It went very well and I was excited to get flown out to New York City for a 2 day interview. The interview was a HORRIBLE experience, it was much more focused on political beliefs than programming or consulting abilities. I'm pretty sure some of the questions they asked me were illegal in an interview. They are strongly against meritocracy, we argued a lot and by the end they openly claimed to be anti-American and socialist. They told me I was disadvantaged for being a woman and that I only got to where I was because I was privileged. Awful experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your stand on meritocracy (i.e. the idea people should be rewarded for hard work and ability)?   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

Was referred by an acquaintance. Had one phone interview, but I was not a match for the position they were seeking to fill. Unfortunately I was not told what the position they were trying to fill actually was until the end of the conversation about my background and skill sets, so I ended up not talking about the most relevant parts of my experience.

Graduate Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

First of all I had a phone interview about my motivation to work in TW. After that I was immediately given a Mars Rover problem to program. I sent it in 3 days. Couple of days later I was said that my code was successfully reviewed. After that I was invited for full assessment day which consisted of: two logic tests, code review, social justice talk and my presentation about anything I am passionate about. After that I was said that i am invited for final interview.

No negotiations

Consultant Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2014.

I turned in my resume and within a few days I heard back form a recruiter who had text questions she wanted me to answer about my values. After that there was a code test. Then a multiple day in person interview the SF office. I'm used to tech question in interviews but they asked a lot about me as a person.

Set offers.

Human Resources Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

the process was very pretentious - I could feel the condescension in the interviewers' questions and style. Obviously she was 'drinking the kool-aid' there and acted as if very few are worthy of working there.

Interview Questions
    • was trying to dig into my political views which was inappropriate - was asking in a very back-door way   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I initially found out about ThoughtWorks through a LinkedIn search. I applied on their website and I received a response within about a month. After they first contacted me back, they made me complete two assignments: a coding assignment and a questionnaire.

The coding assignment is as difficult or as hard as you want it to be. Being the overachiever I am, I chose the hardest one which was a train path optimization solver. They also had another one which I think was a simple sales tax calculator. I would advise NOT to doing the trains problem - it took a long time and it didn't seem to boost my application in any way.

One thing about their recruitment process is that it takes an extremely long time; multiply whatever timeline they give you by 3x. They said they would contact me back in less than 2 weeks but it took them at least a month and a half before they asked me to do the phone screen. The phone screen is pretty straightforward, they ask you why you want to be a software developer and work at ThoughtWorks. Be ready to tell them what programming you have done. They also ask you here about where you want to live after the initial year in Chicago. I told them I was flexible, but I think they wanted a more concrete answer. They also pressured me into giving them a salary expectation here. While I thought I did well on the phone interview, they told me a few weeks after they "did not have a position matching my skills".

All in all, this is certainly the most complex and lengthy hiring process I have come across. I hear that they hire a lot of non-programming types/art majors. Apparently at least enough to warrant sending everyone to India for 5 weeks to learn basic programming. I'm not exactly sure why I didn't get hired - maybe my technical skills were TOO strong. I don't know what kind of people they are aiming to hire, but if you are skilled at multiple things and at the top of your class you may want to look elsewhere.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a software developer? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in February 2014.

It was a very involved process spanning a few months. Phone interview -> Coding Project -> Code Review -> Second phone interview -> All day in person interview -> Negotiation. The motto of their interview is show us what you can do. I would use this model if I ever run my own company.

Interview Questions
    • The volume and variety questions asked by several different people.   Answer Question
    A quick run through on the phone where I gave an average salary from Glassdoor and it was accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

The interview process for ThoughtWorks is something that I have not experienced at other companies. I handed in my resume at Grace Hopper and pair coded with a few engineers before they reached out to me for an interview.

The first step is completing one of the three coding challenges they send you in any language you choose. I didn't write any tests for mine, but the code worked and I was moved on to a non-technical phone interview with a recruiter. We discussed the company culture, how I felt about pair coding, how I felt I fit in the technological world. This interview really got at the core of who I am as a person, and on the phone I was told I would be scheduled for an onsite in the next few weeks. The recruiter sent me a questioner which I filled out and returned. It had some fun questions about what I would do if I was president of the world etc.

I had my onsite in NYC with a few other candidates. It was two days, the first day consisted of tests, a group dialog, and a game. The second day was all interviews with the various teams.

The technical questions were not too hard, its mostly logic and reasoning skills. The most interesting interview was definitely the values interview, during which I spoke about some of my answers on the questioner they gave me, and had some spirited talks about education, underrepresented peoples in computing, and ways I'd overcome difficult situations in my life.

This is a company with a strong social justice mindset, and if that doesn't seem to align with you this may not be the place you want to work.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience with gender discrimination in computing.   View Answer
    They don't do negotiations for JCs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in December 2013.

The process took well over 2 months in total. I first applied through the LinkedIn Jobs Board. I was contacted by one of their "Talent Scouts" via email with a lot of information about the company. Also included was a questionnaire and a programming test; both were fairly straight forward. The questionnaire had questions like, "What is one thing you have taught yourself during your own free time," or "You have been appointed Ruler of the World. What are the 5 most important things you will do while ruler?" The programming test had 3 questions and allowed you to choose and develop one in any of the three listed languages (Java, Ruby, and C#). I personally wrote my solution in C# because I had been using C++ for the past 2 years, however, the company mainly has projects that use Java and Ruby on Rails.

After I had submitted both the questionnaire and programming test, it was a long process of waiting to hear back. I sent a follow up email about 2-3 weeks after submitting the questionnaire and test just to check if I was still being considered for a position. They emailed me a week later asking what day the following week would be best for a phone interview. As others have posted on here, the phone interview is a personal discussion about your desires and aspirations for the future and for working with ThoughtWorks. They are also looking to see if you keep yourself busy by your own free will. They have something within the company called "The Beach" which is where all idle workers go to stay busy with personal work or helping on other projects.

It took a week and a half to hear back, but I finally was told that I made it through to the in-person, 2 day interview process. This process was really laid back. I never felt nervous at any point, even during the technical interviews. Be warned, if you think you're right for the job because you have a background in Comp Sci, then you are in for a shock. This company is very reliant on "equal opportunity" and they bring in anyone. I had people with backgrounds ranging from economics to education without any Comp Sci degree or experience apart from the Dev Boot Camp 5 month course. They really don't weigh your worth based on your knowledge of the theory and concepts of programming. Be ready to be grilled on your cultural background and your social views. If you don't enjoy a more liberal approach to the workplace, then you may want to reconsider your application. You won't find many conservative minds at this company.

The first day of interviews were more about getting settled in their office. Everyone that was in my group got together to talk about each other so we can more fully understand everyone's background. We had a discussion on your personal thoughts of meritocracy. This is where I had the biggest issue with the company. It felt more like entrapment than an actual discussion. They already knew the answer they wanted to hear, but they wanted to see how you would respond. You can discern the answer to the question yourself. After the meritocracy discussion, we took 2 assessments, the Wonderlic test and a test designed and developed by ThoughtWorkers. The Wonderlic is straight forward; you can find the test online for free. The ThoughtWorks logic test was so simple. It's very basic logic based thinking. If you can follow the directions and think through the problem like a programmer would, then you're going to blow through it in no time. I finished in 20 minutes leaving me 40 minutes to double and triple check my work to make sure I didn't make any stupid mistakes. Surprisingly, others didn't even finish which was quite astonishing.

The second day was where the real interview process began. They give you a schedule that outlines what interview you have at what time and in what room of the office. There is two technical interviews, one where you refactor your code through pair-programming with an actual ThoughWorker and one where you discuss your education background in development. The education background technical interview also included a STEM presentation that you were to create with little time to prepare and then present to 2 interviewers. It also included a Tic-Tac-Toe problem which was very easy to work your way through. If you take the steps of TDD (Test-Driven Development) and make small, quick iterations on your AI process, then you should be able to create a non-losing strategy. The last interview that part of the day is the culture interview. This interview is very much like the the phone interview, but they ask you even more hypothetical questions to see how you will respond. I was asked, "What is one person you would not want to work with," and "What is one industry you would not want to work in."

Interview Questions
    • "What is one thing in the recent news that has upset you."   View Answer