ThoughtWorks Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

3.6

Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

First round was offline puzzle solving round where they give you three puzzles and you have to write code for one of them. Next they call you onsite. Onsite interviews consists of aptitude tests which does not involves usual quant questions instead tests your concentration power by making you solve some flowcharts. During next round you sit with one of their developer and do pair programming on the solution that you submitted prior to your interview. They focus on design and readability of your code. These are followed by two technical rounds with seniors developers.

Interview Questions

• Questions on regular expressions. Basic Data-structure and design questions.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Two day process. First day was logic assessments (Wonderlic test, Flow Chart Logic Test developed by ThoughtWorks) and a group project (designing a floor plan for Puggles). Second day was 5 minute presentation on any STEM topic (with 1 hour prep time). Then some technical interview questions. Then a values interview (really a grab bag about anything you put on your questionnaire. Also be aware of what is happening in the world). Lastly, a pair programming exercise where you review your code that you sent in.

Just finished the interview so I have not yet heard back on an offer. (Putting NO until further notice.)

Interview Questions

• What is the reward that you gain from helping others learn?   Answer Question

Principal Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

My recruiter contacted me the very next day after submitting my profile to ThoughtWorks website. She indicated that TW is looking for senior technologists and influential consultants (like myself) to help shape their client engagements in North America.

From what I understand, ThoughWorks has a lot of green talent (new college grads, and those making a career change), along with a cadre of long-timers who are less-willing to travel to client sites these days. So at this point, they're interested in filling the gap by hiring new Lead and Principal consultants who have flexibility to travel at least four days per week, from their home-base. (No need to relocate to TW hub.)

My interview experience consisted of the following:

- Background, Skills & Interests screening with the recruiter over the phone.
    - Fulfilled a fun test-driven development programming problem, at home. It took about 8 hours to complete.
    - Personality test (online)

- Flight & one night hotel stay in Chicago prior to in-person interview at corporate headquarters. (I was surprised to learn that TW HQ is simply two nearly vacant floors of a tall office building.)
    - One hour interview about my consulting & engineering team leadership skills
    - One hour interview about TW's "Third Pillar".
    - One hour pair programming interview, refactoring & enhancing my programming exercise on my laptop.
    - Lunch (in a conference room by myself)
    - 15 minute IQ Test
    - 45 minute Logic Test consisting of strange state-flow diagrams (not fun).
    - Short tour around the office

- A few days later I was invited to a video conference with the Chicago office Director.
    -- He spent about an hour going on and on about TW's client engagement model.
    -- Than he asked a few questions about my career path & what I would see myself doing within their organization. At that time he used bully-tactics to pigeon-hole me into a much lower-paying role (Lead rather than Principle). Not cool.

- A few days later my Recruiter contacted me to offer a role that payed much less than my expectations. So I politely declined.

Interview Questions

• TW "Third Pillar" questions:
      -- What's the difference between tolerance and acceptance?
      -- What are you passionate about regarding social justice? How could you make a difference?

Answer Question

Didn't meet my salary expectations.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Went to school's career fair and talked with a recruiter. They sent me a long questionnaire and a problem set with my choice of three series of questions involving a particular topic. After completing one of the three I talked with a recruiter via video chat. The recruiter seemed very stonefaced during the process and did not seem to react in a positive manner to my answers.

Interview Questions

• Given a graph G, give how many routes of length 5 go from node A to B   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through Linkedin and the talent scout recruiter got back to me within a week. I was given a coding test where I had the choice between three problems. I chose the directed graphs problem and turned it in a week later. I was also given a questionnaire and thought the questions on it were a bit weird. I was then pushed to a video conference interview with the recruiter. She asked me questions about the coding assignment. She also asked a lot of different types of questions regarding social justice, etc.

Interview Questions

• Do you know the three pillars of Thoughtworks   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Months ago, I was very excited about the idea of working at

ThoughtWorks.  I worked on my application in early-mid December and

sent it in mid-month. I heard back a generated response a couple

days later from Michael Hassin about the survey and coding challenge.

I did the survey promptly, and put my focus on the challenge.

I had some Java experience before so I thought it wouldn’t be so bad.

Since I wasn’t working at the time, I decided to really make a strong

effort and address concerns not directly asked by the challenge (making

sure rovers don’t collide and adding JUnit tests).  I probably spent 25

hours on it over the week, many of which were spent researching how

to do the build, since .jar files were not allowed.

I only mention the effort here because it would have been nice to get

one sentence of feedback for 25 hours of work.  I would have expected

different behavior from a company that goes on and on about being

“people focused.”

After sending it, over two weeks go by and I email Michael (if it’s a real

person, I never actually heard from him) to ask whether my challenge

was received.  I don’t get a response, but I do get an email from Sue-Ellen

Nario that does not mention the challenge. I am told to schedule a phone

interview and I pick the earliest time possible, which was early January.

The interview was cultural, and went fine.  A key part of it was about the

relocation.  I was asked specifically whether I would be OK with a year

in Dallas followed by a year in NYC.  While that was not my first choice,

I was open to it.  I was told that I would hear back ‘by next week’.  I sent

a thank you note after the call.

I interpreted ‘by next week’ as meaning I would probably hear a

response (or at least a reply to the thank you note) that week, since the

interview was Monday morning. Days pass, Friday rolls around and no

response, so I thought, OK, I guess they meant by the END of the

following week.  The following week, more days pass.  Monday,

Tuesday, still nothing.  On Friday, I still hear nothing and sent a polite

reminder email.  No response on Friday but on Monday I get an email

from you.

We are now in early January, and the email says that circumstances

around the relocation, one item we specifically discussed in the phone

interview, have changed.  Now New York is full, and I must pick Dallas

or Atlanta for the second year.  This is a bit frustrating since I have been

moving forward in the application process as fast as possible and yet

the spot filled up, but OK. I reply asking whether I have to decide now or

could do it later, and unsurprisingly the answer is I have to decide now.

Not sure why I bothered on that one.  After another day or two of delay by

ThoughtWorks, I speak to you on the phone.

Now late January-- On the call you inform me that circumstances have changed again.

Not only do I not get my third choice of working in Atlanta/Dallas for the

second year, but now, the spots might be full all together.  This is

especially annoying considering I have spent in total around 30 hours in

the process (the challenge + researching the company for the phone

interview) and have been moving as quickly as possible to proceed, but

I respond politely.  I am told that I will hear back the following Tuesday

or Wednesday about whether there are spots open.

Wednesday rolls around (now early Feb), and of course, no call or message.  Thursday,

Friday, still nothing.  Looks like you have no intention of responding

ever.  So now (two months after I sent in my application), when friends

and family members ask me “how’s it going with ThoughtWorks?”,  I

have to reply “I have no idea.” I send another polite follow-up a few weeks later

and get no response again.

I realize ThoughtWorks acted like any business can, and many do,

being in the position of power over the applicant, by treating me less

than kindly.  Nothing wrong with that, but what really irks me is the way

ThoughtWorks tries to market itself as not a typical business, but

instead one that really cares about people. If they didn't want me, for

whatever reason, just tell me and we can all move on.

I have since found a job that pays a lot more than ThoughtWorks did,

and I truly recommend that nobody applies here. In my 4 or so month

job search, I experienced all types of responses from all types of companies,

but nobody was near as rude and horrible to deal with as ThoughtWorks.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you ruled the world?   1 Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

I learned a lot during this interview process. They wanted to make sure this was true. They flew me out to chicago and got to stay in a nice hotel. Learned a lot about the companies philosophy. They travel alot. People were all very nice. Interviewers really wanted to get to know who you are and what you're about. Asked loads of questions about different things...make sure to study up. Be yourself, speak clearly, and do everything else that's considered good in an interview.

Junior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter basically asking questions from a questionnaire that they have you fill out after applying, then went to an in person interview where they had me take a logic exam, do a presentation, pair-programming, and a cultural fit interview.

Interview Questions

• If you were president of the world what are the top 5 things you would change?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Interview

Really long and unnecessary interview process. You will need to complete a coding challenge. My advice would be not to choose the routes problem--it takes much too long and I don't think it even helps move you forward much as the other problems are much easier. Also needed to fill out a long survey with behavioral questions, then have another interview with the recruiter before moving on to the final round. I chose not to move forward in their process after that as I was not extremely interested in the company.

Design Analyst, Associate Consultant Program Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in December 2014.

Interview

Started off with a few phone interviews, while they were deciding which position I might best be fit for and eventually I was invited in for an in-person interview. The interview process I went through seemed like it was for a different job than the one described to me over the phone. My take away is that this is a company that wants to build out their design staff, but doesn't have a hiring process for designers in place. When talking with my recruiter, it seemed as though this would be a 50% design and 50% business role, but when I went in for my interview, I was told it would be almost completely business analyst. I was also told that even if design work came up that would be a good fit for me, and I was already assigned on a project as a business analyst, I would not be taken off to help on the design. Since design roles coming up seemed rare already, it got the vibe that I might not be doing any design at all. I started off my interview day by talking with designers, but then my next two interviews were focused on business and how much of a business role it would be.

Overall thought: this is pretty much solely a business analyst role.

Interview Questions

• Business Analyst interview - they ask you to redesign a kitchen and give you two ThoughtWorks employees to act as your clients. They want you to think about the "problem" of redesigning a kitchen in a very analytical, logical, and business-like way, not at all as a designer. This was unexpected to me because, as mentioned above, I didn't understand until my values interview (which was after my business analyst interview) that about 80% of the role would be business analyst, not design. Also, I thought as my background is in design, I didn't think it would necessarily be bad to bring some design thinking in and I thought the interviewers would be more understanding of that than they were.

Work with your recruiter to understand how they are going to expect you to balance business and design in this role so that you can prepare to show the right skills in your interviews.

They also give a logic assessment, which was difficult for me as a designer, but overall not too bad - I answered about 7 of the 11 questions. The Wonderlic text (IQ test) wasn't too bad - I was nervous and only got through about 35 of 50 questions, but an average score is a 22, so I think I scored well above average. For these tests, my advice is to prepare a bit in the week or so leading up (you can find sample questions from both tests online) just so you know what to expect.

Answer Question