ThoughtWorks

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

3.6

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I learned a lot during this interview process. They wanted to make sure this was true. They flew me out to chicago and got to stay in a nice hotel. Learned a lot about the companies philosophy. They travel alot. People were all very nice. Interviewers really wanted to get to know who you are and what you're about. Asked loads of questions about different things...make sure to study up. Be yourself, speak clearly, and do everything else that's considered good in an interview.

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Phone interview with recruiter basically asking questions from a questionnaire that they have you fill out after applying, then went to an in person interview where they had me take a logic exam, do a presentation, pair-programming, and a cultural fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you were president of the world what are the top 5 things you would change?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Really long and unnecessary interview process. You will need to complete a coding challenge. My advice would be not to choose the routes problem--it takes much too long and I don't think it even helps move you forward much as the other problems are much easier. Also needed to fill out a long survey with behavioral questions, then have another interview with the recruiter before moving on to the final round. I chose not to move forward in their process after that as I was not extremely interested in the company.

Design Analyst, Associate Consultant Program Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in December 2014.

Started off with a few phone interviews, while they were deciding which position I might best be fit for and eventually I was invited in for an in-person interview. The interview process I went through seemed like it was for a different job than the one described to me over the phone. My take away is that this is a company that wants to build out their design staff, but doesn't have a hiring process for designers in place. When talking with my recruiter, it seemed as though this would be a 50% design and 50% business role, but when I went in for my interview, I was told it would be almost completely business analyst. I was also told that even if design work came up that would be a good fit for me, and I was already assigned on a project as a business analyst, I would not be taken off to help on the design. Since design roles coming up seemed rare already, it got the vibe that I might not be doing any design at all. I started off my interview day by talking with designers, but then my next two interviews were focused on business and how much of a business role it would be.

Overall thought: this is pretty much solely a business analyst role.

Interview Questions
    • Business Analyst interview - they ask you to redesign a kitchen and give you two ThoughtWorks employees to act as your clients. They want you to think about the "problem" of redesigning a kitchen in a very analytical, logical, and business-like way, not at all as a designer. This was unexpected to me because, as mentioned above, I didn't understand until my values interview (which was after my business analyst interview) that about 80% of the role would be business analyst, not design. Also, I thought as my background is in design, I didn't think it would necessarily be bad to bring some design thinking in and I thought the interviewers would be more understanding of that than they were.

Work with your recruiter to understand how they are going to expect you to balance business and design in this role so that you can prepare to show the right skills in your interviews.

They also give a logic assessment, which was difficult for me as a designer, but overall not too bad - I answered about 7 of the 11 questions. The Wonderlic text (IQ test) wasn't too bad - I was nervous and only got through about 35 of 50 questions, but an average score is a 22, so I think I scored well above average. For these tests, my advice is to prepare a bit in the week or so leading up (you can find sample questions from both tests online) just so you know what to expect.

Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in December 2014.

I applied through career page, got the coding exercise, I chose sale tax. After 2 weeks, I got video interview. Rejected at this point. The video interview had general questions such as what social cause concern you? why did you choose sale tax as your coding challenge?, what set you apart from peer?, how do you stay on top of technology? ... I answered all those questions smoothly, emphasized my strong points, my passion for programming, I even mention some of the projects I have done in my own time. The interview was nice, at the end I asked some good questions. Have no ideas why I got rejected, it was weird to apply for a technical position and get rejected by a HR person.

Business Analyst Interview

After filling out their questionnaire, which was very different from other interview processes I've come across, I had followed up a couple times and finally got a phone interview 2 months later.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg, WI

I applied through other source – interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

i submitted my cv through LinkedIn and I got a response within 2 hours from the recruiter she sent me and email to complete basic questions. She scheduled a telephonic interview and asked basic questions about such as tell me about yourself, how did you hear of TW and explained the culture of the company.

She sent me a case to complete by applying Business Process Modeling and drawing a facilitation plan.

Interview Questions
    • the case was challenging and asked for specific business analysis techniques   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I met with the company representative at a college career fair. They sent me documents and a programming assignment to complete after one week. It took me a while to finish up the programming assignment because I also had to manage my heavy class schedule at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • It was a programming task from scratch. They literally wanted me to code some graphing algorithm in Java to find the shortest possible path in a given graph. The Java program I supposed to write had to have a good object oriented design, had to read the graph from a file, had to create a graph out of it and it had to solve the problems provided in an efficient way. It took me 2 days to finish up the fully working Java code.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in October 2014.

Interview through Skype-like software, and it was broken on ThoughtWork's end. It was embarrassing for me and them, bad start to the interview. Ended up being phone interview, which was really bizarre - they asked me questions about what social justice or injustice meant, if I knew the 3 pillars of Thoughtworks (me, someone being in web development, did not see the three pillars because it looks a lot like a current web design trend. If you take a look at their pillars, notice how the one on the far right is red? And the part about technology is not? Yup, I find that particular detail very telling of the company), what does oppressed groups mean to me, what it meant in to be oppressed in the US. When I told her that to me oppressed groups for me meant human rights violated people and gave examples around the world, she was very dismissive and told me, "ok but those are things that are happening around the world, what about oppressed people in the US?" What on earth, did she just dismiss the human rights violations of the world in favor of "oppressed" groups in the US?

Position wasn't really what I wanted but I was interested in the company and the new business analyst role touched upon my field. I just didn't feel like they were looking at my abilities as an ux designer, and more of my political/social justice warrior front. I do civil hackathons and projects all the time, so I was excited that they seemed to want social justice warriors in technology, but I fail to see how any of their products reflect that? I see that they do some stuff on the side but it's not really related to the company...

Kicker was the salary of the business analyst position - well under half of my current offers. I left the phone interview confused and upset that I wasn't able to showcase my abilities as a UI developer and the fact that those suffering in the face of corruption in South Africa, Middle East, or North Korea were dismissed for the problems of gay people or those without medical care in the US. Yes both suck, but you can't tell me that people going to concentration camps in NK compare to coming out in the US. The interviewer also never went into detail and rattled these questions and came off as very pretentious and judgmental if my answer didn't agree with her viewpoint.

No thank you ThoughtWorks, never again.

Interview Questions
    • What does social injustice mean to you? What does oppressed groups of people mean to you?   Answer Question

Software Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

I thought this was my dream job, I loved the agile development process and outreach done by the company. I met the recruiters at a computer science conference, where I did pair programming on some code I had written. It went very well and I was excited to get flown out to New York City for a 2 day interview. The interview was a HORRIBLE experience, it was much more focused on political beliefs than programming or consulting abilities. I'm pretty sure some of the questions they asked me were illegal in an interview. They are strongly against meritocracy, we argued a lot and by the end they openly claimed to be anti-American and socialist. They told me I was disadvantaged for being a woman and that I only got to where I was because I was privileged. Awful experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your stand on meritocracy (i.e. the idea people should be rewarded for hard work and ability)?   View Answer