ThoughtWorks Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.5

Associate Consultant - Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1. Initial Questions form, other people have listed many of the questions. Fill this out and send it to them. Won't be used again. 2. Phone Interview, basic and easy 3. Office Tour and Tests: Logic test made by developers (numbers and grammar game) and a Wonderlic test. 4. Interview Day: Sink Test: Walk through how you would "test" a sink. (Make sure to see the sink through multiple different users) Turns into how you would test the internet. (Make sure you can compare testing a sink to testing the internet.) AND Values/Social Justice Interview. Have some things you are passionate about. AND Walk a couple through buying a kitchen. In this part time is crucial. They just want to hire more of themselves, they have one way of doing things and that's how they want you to do it. One of my interviewers forgot about the interview so it started an hour late. Definitely the most unique and most time consuming interview process I've ever been through.

Interview Questions

• Where do the poor and or oppressed people live in your city? Who are these people?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about affirmative action?   Answer Question

Lead Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It long and painful. The recruiter called me after few days of uploading my resume. He gave me an assignment and I gave him back in 2 days. he scheduled 3 phone interviews before he called me to their SFO office. These 3 phone interviews were scheduled in a 2 month period. Finally an office interview with 2 tests and 3 interviews

Interview Questions

• Questions like how do you handle difficult clients? Walk me though your work process.   1 Answer

Lead Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

Very lengthy process. Great opportunity to meet with a lot of smart, creative people, but unfortunately some of those people were: 1.) Unskilled, unprofessional, or outright rude interviewers, doing things such as doodling on my resume, making disapproving faces in response to my answers, yawning while I was talking, or abruptly cutting me off with "can you just answer the question?!" 2.) Interviewing for jobs they don't do, where they may or may not understand the nuances and "behind the scenes work" of what it means to succeed in the role. (See some of the interview questions/answers) 3.) Surprisingly closed-minded or under-developed in their perceptions ThoughtWorks does hire smart people and put them in creative roles, but I met with several people who seemed to hold closed-minded or immature perspectives, leaning heavily on process or hierarchy to navigate what they do. (See some of the interview questions/answers)

Interview Questions

• If you were president of the world, what would you change on your first day?   1 Answer
    • What if two stakeholders, with exactly the same level of influence on the project, wanted opposite things?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about Affirmative Action?   Answer Question
    • If two candidates are exactly equally qualified, but one is white and one is black, is there anything wrong with hiring the black one?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a client developer didn't want to join the daily stand-up?   1 Answer

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process and the outcome mirrored the experience of a previous commenter who had applied for a Principal Consultant position (and posted a review on March 29, 2015). I applied online, and I got a positive response the very next day. The first conversation was with an internal TW recruiter out of the Chicago office. A very engaging discussion, and she was sure to capture my compensation requirements within the first few minutes. Next step was a discussion with a Technical Director, which is a pretty high-level title at TW. The director had to cancel at the last minute, and instead, I spoke to a Principal out of the San Francisco office. After successfully submitting my coding test and presentation, I was invited to come into the NYC office. There, I had a panel discussion about my presentation, a pairing interview, a short interview about my views on social justice (TW's Pillar 3), and then a logic test. The next week, I had a video debrief from the Managing Principal of the NYC office. A week later, I was invited to come into the NYC office to discuss an offer. There was a huge disconnect, and I ended up leaving the office very frustrated. As soon as I got home, I sent an email to the TW recruiter in which I said that I withdrew my name from the candidacy. My main complaints were: 1) During the first ten minutes of my initial interview with the TW recruiter, we narrowed down my salary expectations. Then, during the last meeting, where they told me that they were going to give me an offer, the Managing Principal asked what my salary requirements were, and after telling him, he said that he was not authorized to offer that much, and he would have to get special permission from a person who was a level or two higher. In my opinion, when you tell someone to come in to talk about the offer, you actually have a number in hand !!!! 2) At various times during the interview process, the interviews did not take place at the scheduled time. They have something wrong going on their with their internal clocks. The second interview I had was delayed twice because the recruiter in Chicago messed up on the times. The final debrief was delayed for two hours, resulting in a very awkward situation where they gave me ten minutes notice that they needed to have a video chat with me ... and I was sitting in my office at my current job. 3) I originally was slated to speak with one of the technical directors. He cancelled at the last minute, and instead, I spoke to a Principal out of the San Francisco office. The interviewer was on a cell phone at a nosy location, and it was difficult to communicate with the interviewer. In my opinion, when someone is being interviewed, they should be on a land line and in a quiet location. Especially if you have a senior-level candidate that you are speaking to. Basically, despite their proclaimed excellence at technology, the internal processes are not what you expect from a company that carries the ThoughtWorks name.

Interview Questions

• ThoughtWorks was pleasantly surprised when I volunteered to take the coding test. From what the recruiter said, Principals are not expected to take this test. They sent over a list of a few problems, and I chose one of them to do. This was the famous Kiwiland problem. I won't go into details, but it is easy to find this problem with a simple Google search. The problem was made a bit easier for me due to the fact that I was just starting to write a graph package for myself for a side project. So, I wrote some algoirthms around that core package that enabled me to solve the Kiwiland problem in a few hours. During the on-site pairing interview, I was asked to expand on the problem a bit. We did not get to the final answer, but the interviewers and I discussed ways that I could adapt my classes and algoirthms to solve their problem. Some good discussions went on, and I appreciated the comments of the interviewers. During the debrief, the feedback was that my code was not designed in a TDD-like fashion (which it wasn't), so TDD-designed code seems to be something that ThoughtWorks looks out for. ThoughtWorks also gave me a presentation to write up. They sent over a list of five business scenarios that they probably encounter frequently (ie: integration of disparate systems, scaling up a development org that is having issues, etc), and they asked me to choose one and give a presentation on it. I wrote up a brief PowerPoint, and during the on-site interview, a panel of three TWers grilled me on my presentation and philosophies. It was an engaging discussion, and a lot of it revolved around the use of MicroServices vs Monolithic apps, and how you would implement them at a customer site. In fact, many of their questions for a Principal-level applicant are geared around how you would deliver for tricky clients. At the on-site, two very young TWers asked me about my opinions on social justice and what I was passionate about. I was interested in devoting part of my time at TW to helping social causes, but it looks like a lot of that work is done out of their offices in India and Africa. They do have a bit of work going on in NYC with Unicef. The last part of the interview is their famous logic test, where you are basically given an array of integers and written directions, and you are asked to solve various problems. For me, the key was to take the written descriptions, translate them into simple C-like pseudocode, and "run" the code by hand. After the on-site, TW followed up with a one-hour debrief and final interview with the Managing Principal of the NYC office. Again, more questions about how I would handle tricky client situations.   Answer Question

Communication Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very relaxed and the interviewer was friendly. The interview was easy, very conversational, opened broad, proceeded personal, then went into work-specific. Got excellent feedback, but the position was cancelled for the summer to be reopened in the fall. Interviewer notified me and asked me to stay in touch for the fall round.

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with the recruiter. This was followed up with three coding challenge problems and I had to submit one of them. The code challenge took 3 days to complete and submitted online. I then had a phone screen with a senior consultant at the company for about 45 minutes. The conclusion was an on site interview and two tests. Conversations started with technical and soft skills, followed with a pair programming session on my code challenge problem (we extended it) and then lots of soft skills.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to pick this coding challenge problem vs one of the others?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks in March 2015.

Interview

Extremely thorough. A great mix of digging into the messy business of real world experience balanced with some very specific personality and IQ indexing. Multiple rounds exposed me to almost the entire team, which was great. In the end they were looking for a pretty traditional (read: purely analytical/project management style) product role, and I was hoping for something a bit more innovative and disruptive than the products they were working on. Great folks but it wasn't a good fit.

Interview Questions

• There are formal assessments of both analytical ability and logic.   Answer Question

Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview

First round was offline puzzle solving round where they give you three puzzles and you have to write code for one of them. Next they call you onsite. Onsite interviews consists of aptitude tests which does not involves usual quant questions instead tests your concentration power by making you solve some flowcharts. During next round you sit with one of their developer and do pair programming on the solution that you submitted prior to your interview. They focus on design and readability of your code. These are followed by two technical rounds with seniors developers.

Interview Questions

• Questions on regular expressions. Basic Data-structure and design questions.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Two day process. First day was logic assessments (Wonderlic test, Flow Chart Logic Test developed by ThoughtWorks) and a group project (designing a floor plan for Puggles). Second day was 5 minute presentation on any STEM topic (with 1 hour prep time). Then some technical interview questions. Then a values interview (really a grab bag about anything you put on your questionnaire. Also be aware of what is happening in the world). Lastly, a pair programming exercise where you review your code that you sent in. Just finished the interview so I have not yet heard back on an offer. (Putting NO until further notice.)

Interview Questions

• What is the reward that you gain from helping others learn?   Answer Question

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ThoughtWorks (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

My recruiter contacted me the very next day after submitting my profile to ThoughtWorks website. She indicated that TW is looking for senior technologists and influential consultants (like myself) to help shape their client engagements in North America. From what I understand, ThoughWorks has a lot of green talent (new college grads, and those making a career change), along with a cadre of long-timers who are less-willing to travel to client sites these days. So at this point, they're interested in filling the gap by hiring new Lead and Principal consultants who have flexibility to travel at least four days per week, from their home-base. (No need to relocate to TW hub.) My interview experience consisted of the following: - Background, Skills & Interests screening with the recruiter over the phone. - Fulfilled a fun test-driven development programming problem, at home. It took about 8 hours to complete. - Personality test (online) - Flight & one night hotel stay in Chicago prior to in-person interview at corporate headquarters. (I was surprised to learn that TW HQ is simply two nearly vacant floors of a tall office building.) - One hour interview about my consulting & engineering team leadership skills - One hour interview about TW's "Third Pillar". - One hour pair programming interview, refactoring & enhancing my programming exercise on my laptop. - Lunch (in a conference room by myself) - 15 minute IQ Test - 45 minute Logic Test consisting of strange state-flow diagrams (not fun). - Short tour around the office - A few days later I was invited to a video conference with the Chicago office Director. -- He spent about an hour going on and on about TW's client engagement model. -- Than he asked a few questions about my career path & what I would see myself doing within their organization. At that time he used bully-tactics to pigeon-hole me into a much lower-paying role (Lead rather than Principle). Not cool. - A few days later my Recruiter contacted me to offer a role that payed much less than my expectations. So I politely declined.

Interview Questions

• TW "Third Pillar" questions: -- What's the difference between tolerance and acceptance? -- What are you passionate about regarding social justice? How could you make a difference?   Answer Question

Didn't meet my salary expectations.