ThoughtWorks

Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in August 2013.

Started with outreach from a HR representative calling to see if I was interested in applying. I sent resume, answered a *very* in depth questionnaire on my personality. and was asked to complete a coding question over the next few days. The whole process was great. Everyone was nice, polite but informal, I really did think I wanted to work there.

And that's where things started to get strange. I had about an hour long HR interview after submitting my code. Things were still pleasant, and was told they wanted to fly me to New York for in person interviews at the end. But, part of my work history is for a government contractor and I was told specifically to not bring that up. Suddenly my rep starts talking about the Snowden scandal and how Thoughtworks as a company they stood with him, which was odd considering it was completely out of left field. I listened and did my best to stay neutral on the matter.

Going in for interviews on site was a 2 day process. Day one was a presentation on the company and some on paper tests. Day two was much longer. Everyone was on a different schedule but there were about 4 or 5 interviews in total. Everything from presentations, to technical interviews, to team interviews, to personality discussions. I did my best and when I asked for feedback, got only positive remarks.

The personality discussion I think is where I faltered. Like I've said, everyone I met that day was extremely nice until that point. My interviewer here however, was abrasive and downright rude. I did my best to be polite and honest, but I went back to my hotel and cried after finishing that day. Which is absolutely outside of my personality. Regardless of your interviewer, expect to be grilled. They go over your answers to your personality questionnaire from the preliminary levels and ask you why you wrote what you did. And why you think that way. And why Thoughtworks should bother hiring someone that thinks that way. The only advice I'll offer is that they don't want to hear anything but the truth. Don't bother doing anything else. Finally, there was an exit interview.

The *worst* part of it was how they got back to me. The HR representative I'd been speaking to left me a voicemail. The rejection was incredibly unprofessional. She stuttered through the whole thing, said she had "bad news" without explaining, and then hung up without so much as a goodbye. I sent a follow up email thanking her for her time. About 3 months later I get contacted by *the same* recruiter to start the process over again. When I explained I'd already been through they apologized and said they still weren't interested and there had been a filing error.

Junior Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in August 2013.

Very standard ThoughtWorks interview process.

Initially I applied via ThoughtWorks website and after about a week I was emailed three code challenges, of which I should solve one. I chose the Sales Tax problem and solved this within three days. I wrote RSpec tests for this which I came to understand is pretty much required to get through to the face to face.

A week later I was called and said I 'passed the code challenge' and scheduled a face to face. I then took the Wonderlic test (50 questions in 12 minutes) of which I solved about 36 of them, and the Logic test (11 question flow charts in 60 minutes) of which I solved 10. After these tests I was told I either went too slow or too fast on the Wonderlic and had to do it again, which I again only solved about 35-40 of the questions. I'm assuming I scored poorly the first time? Not sure.

I then paired with two developers, and the three of us went through my code challenge. It was very relaxed and they asked me to explain my code, why I did this or that, and then inquired about how I would test an extra parameter. Very easy going and it went very well.

I came back a week later for the HR Interview and sat and chatted with two pseudo-project managers to see how we got along. There were no crazy questions such as "What would you do if you were President of the World" or "How would you solve Racism" sort of stuff. We did do a quick whiteboard budget role playing which wasn't too stressful.

I received an email that night that I would not continue as a candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Whiteboard a function to calculate the factorial of value n (n!)   View Answers (2)
    • Role playing how I would distribute money to each of their 3 pillars for next years budget.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

One telephonic interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in July 2013.

Just as previous entries on here, the interview process ran as follows:

1) Brief phone call (to see if I was still looking for employment, etc)
    2) Questionnaire
    3) Coding challenge
    4) Another phone call (mostly the recruiter discussing details of the job)
    5) Invitation to Chicago HQ to complete:
              (a) Logic assessment
              (b) STEM presentation
              (c) Technical interview (Pair-programming)
              (d) Non-technical interview (Discuss the values of the company, your values and how the two align)

My biggest advice is to be super well-versed in your contribution to the non-technical portion - for instance, don't make a passing remark about how we should aim to eliminate poverty unless you have some ideas on how to achieve it. They don't drill or interrogate you aggressively, but they do expect you to be able to (have and) communicate personal ideals and ideas.

The technical portion is very straight-forward. It consisted of very basic OOP questions. As for the pair-programming, my interviewers (of which there were two) were friendly and helpful with refactoring my submitted code. It was like a mini seminar on TDD.

Good luck!

(The interview process took a very long time for me - it ran on and off because I was still in school full-time)

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about the political state of _______ (where you're from).   Answer Question
    No negotiation as this was an entry-level position.

Client Principal Interview

Unthoughtful in-person interview.

Initial phone interview professional and friendly, then, in-person interview with a client partner and market developer. This was an odd meeting with lots of subjective questions about passion and so on. It was also clear that neither interviewer had even the slightest acquaintance with my resume. Multiple other interviews would have followed.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of subjective questions. Much discussion about "passion" around software development and social impact.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in July 2013.

Applied for the Junior Consultant position online and received the 3 programming questions a few weeks later. Completed the Mars Rover example (without JUnit, in case anyone is wondering if its necessary) and received the "positive feedback on your assignment" email with the questionnaire about a week after.

A week after sending in the questionnaire I received an email with details for a phone interview with a recruiter. The phone interview was HR based with no technical questions. Unfortunately I stumbled at this part but the process as a whole was a great experience.

Good luck guys!

Interview Questions
    • What scientific or technological concept have you taught yourself outside of school/work?   View Answer
    • What was your best and worst team experience?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to be a developer?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about our Social Impact program?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you laughed really hard or made someone laugh. Who were you with? What happened?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Met them on campus. Passed the wonderlic test and questionnaire and the coding assignment. This was a long process. But then an HR called me asked some behavior questions and failed me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at ThoughtWorks in July 2013.

1. questionnaire and oop assignment
    2. phone interview
    3. on-site
        first day: assessment
        second day: technical and value inteview

Interview Questions
    • the value interview three pillars and questions on questionnaire   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in June 2013.

Applied online, received a online coding challenge. Completed it and did a phone interview with one of the recruiters. I was asked to fill out a survey and a personality test.

They asked general questions, about my experience, why I was interested in TW and what social justice meant to me, very laid back.

Then I was invited for assessment day, where they gave a company tour and had us do a wonderlic test and the logic test and a group assignment.

The group assignment was a made up consulting scenario where you were to build a house for some pugs and each person was given a bunch of requirements from the pugs, the goal was to create a floor plan and make it as cheap as possible.

After assessment day was the technical interviews. The first interview being pair programming with two TW devs. This went OK, one dev seemed very annoyed while the other was very helpful in answering questions.

The 2nd part of the interview is with another pair but they were more on the HR/recruiting side where they asked you about your values and thoughts on social justice, and what the 3 pillars of TW were. They also go over the questions you answered in the questionnaire they sent out. The question they went over for me was the "what would you do as president of the world?" I was also asked about what I have done for social justice.

After that was a short break and the last interview would be the technical interview with two different TW devs. Here they gave me a hour to prepare a 5 minute presentation on a STEM (science, technology, engineering or math) topic and there would also be a 5 minute q&a. This seemed incredibly hit or miss. One dev would be interested and the other would have absolutely no clue what I would be talking about and just be totally disengaged. After that they wanted me to whiteboard the mars rover problem and talk them through it.

The wonderlic was 50 questions in 12 minutes. I must have done poorly because they asked me to do it twice (once at assessment, once at the technical interview). The logic test is not very hard, but I recommend you look at some example problems: http://freshnerpaper.blogspot.com/2012/01/thought-works-placement-paper.html has some. READ the directions very carefully because sometimes it will try to trip you up. IE go to the box number in box 10 (so if box 10 had the number 5, you would go to box 5). Also for the last 3 tests you treat them like a maze it so draw the route that matches the condition and figure out what satisfies that path.

The interview was not stressful, but the emphasis is really on object oriented programming. Does the name of your classes and methods make sense? Can you explain the program you wrote?

Personally, I felt the whole social justice stichk was incredibly pretentious. The folks I talked with were taking credit for the companys efforts when they themselves do not sound like they contributed anything to the cause. Just seemed really full of it. You can't participate in any social justice causes until 2 years into employment or so anyways.

If you're considering TW because you're new at programming and have heard of the great things about TW university, I was told it was more of a consulting crash course where you are thrown into a big simulation. There would be some mandatory classes after TW university for building/deploying applications but a lot of learning will be up to you to do alone. So my advice is don't take this program/career path as the silver bullet that is the only way that will get you up to a professional level - do not get discouraged at all if you get declined. No mentor or teacher will ever get you there, you got to learn it yourself - they can help but remember it is you that crosses the line, stay persistent and passionate. This was a good learning experience for sure and I definitely took the opportunity to ask developers some technical questions of my own - that I always wanted answered. At the end of the day, I was probably not what they were looking for technically (I think I nailed the logic test but bombed the wonderlic and I felt like my OOP knowledge was lacking) but also I don't think it was an exact cultural fit. The interviews were always in pairs and it felt like one person was geninuely interested but another would not be. The interviewers were very professional and kept the atmosphere laid back so I did not feel like I was being grilled or anything.

Best of luck to any future candidates.

Interview Questions
    • 5 things you would change as President of the World?   Answer Question
    • What classes and methods would you use for the Mars Rover problem and why?   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ThoughtWorks in June 2013.

A met a recruiter at a job fair. I was scheduled to take an aptitude test and a logic test. Few days later, I was sent 3 coding problems and asked to solve any one of my choice and send the solutions. I was instructed to use Java,C# or Python. About a week later, I received an email from the recruiter saying there was a positive response about my code. In the one week I was waiting to hear back, I also had to completed a questionnaire with somewhat weird questions(e.g "8. After a hard-fought campaign, you are now President of the World. Congratulations! What are the first five things that you change? "). I was scheduled for an hour of interview with the recruiter and was asked background question. The recruiter called me to tell me that unfortunately I won't be moving forward unto the next stage. Apparently, she did not understand why I want to be a developer. But overall, it was a nice experience. The recruiter was very cool and funny.