ThoughtWorks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Developer Interview

Graduate Developer
London, England (UK)

I applied through other source and interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview Details – The process is long and requires candidates to complete a technical test. Upon successful completion and the approval of a developer within the company, you are put through an assessment centre which comprises of IQ testing, presentations and a code review.

Interview Question – The code review can be difficult as a new comer to software engineering, your reasons and logic behind the technical test will be queries and questioned.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in September 2013.

Interview Details – One phone call interview with HR and then given an activity to complete over 3 days.

Interview Question – What do you consider to be the "greater good"?   View Answer

Graduate Front End/UI Developer Interview

Graduate Front End/UI Developer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position by sending my CV and cover letter via their website. After two weeks approximately, they send me an email to arrange a telephone interview. I waited for the call but nobody called, so I send them back for re-scheduling the interview. When they called me, they asked basic interview questions.

For example, why ThoughtWorks?, why the particular position? etc...

Interview Question – It was very disturbing the fact that they forgot to call.
During the call, the place, where the interviewer was, was very noisy and I found it difficult to concentrate.
  Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview Details – Initial contact with a TW internal recruiter led to an invitation to an industry event they were running. From there, I submitted a CV and was invited to interview. The process included:

- Interview with Head of Delivery, EU. General discussion based on my CV and past experience, why I was applying to Thoughtworks.

- Deliver a 15 minute summary of a previous project to a panel of three, followed by 15 min Q&A about the presentation. Very insightful questions from a friendly panel. I'd recommend using the whiteboard/flipchart to illustrate.

- Interview with Market Principal, UK South. General discussion based on my CV and past experience, why I was applying to Thoughtworks.

- "P3" Interview covering issues of social and economic justice. An interesting freeform discussion with a pair of consultants, presumably to make sure prospective hires don't have a world view that runs totally contrary to that of the firm. Come prepared with some issues to discuss, and prepare to have your views challenged.

- PM exercise - 1 hour prep time to review some project metrics and propose how you would lay out a project office. 1 hour interview with two project managers to discuss your proposals, and cover some practical aspects of running agile delivery projects.

- Logical reasoning test - 1 hour logic test. Demanding and really good fun. Having some idea of basic computer science concepts would be advantageous - e.g. program control loops, pointers and indirection, boolean logic.

- Psychometric test - Some kind of rapidfire Multiple choice test that I believe is very similar to US GMAT tests. Some of the verbal reasoning questions seemed to be culturally skewed towards the US, and I understand that this type of testing is much more common in the US education system, so US candidates would probably enjoy an advantage. For candidates from the rest of the world it might be worthwhile spending an hour or two getting some familiarity with GMAT question archetypes.

- Psychobabble test - A brief personality test administered online prior to interview.

Overall, the interviewers were friendly and interested in a dialogue, rather than the more structured competency-based approach used by some other firms.

The recruiter was outstanding - very responsive and clear communication at every stage. The whole process was impressively quick - 2 weeks from first interview to formal offer.

Interview Question – Why do you think we do the P3 [Social and Economic Justice] Interview?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation process felt transparent and fair.

Grad Business Analyst Interview

Grad Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website. A week later I was invited to a phone interview. I didn't really prepare for the interview because I thought It would a basic interview just get to know you. But it turns out not to be the case. It was more about business analyst. Why I want to work for the company, what is business analyst, what challenges business analyst face, what events I attend. I thought I did well but they rejected me on the screen stage.

I was wondering if I can reapply after 4 months. I think thoughtworks is a good fit for me and I would enjoy working there.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and interviewed at ThoughtWorks.

Interview Details – Initially a interesting company to work for. Few technically oriented interview steps and later one more IQ test like. Test does not look for IQ and is totally culturally dependent. I thought much about this company prior to this process. They really got my idea of a good company down based on this location problem experienced. Applied UK london, proposed to have interview to Hamburg saying that no open positions in London although still having publicly available openings there...

Interview Question – Choose similar meaning words, which were totally culturally dependent. I knew which culture company comes from and were able to pass.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in June 2009.

Interview Details – 5 interviews beginning with a phone interview then progressing on to some IQ, analytical and behavioural testing. Then 3 more interviews including a cultural interview and a technical test, would be coding for a dev or a business problem for an analyst. The graduate process is different though and is normally a whole day of various tests, presentations and interviews.

Interview Question – Tell me about security. (That was it, then silence)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was happy with the salary offered so did not negotiate

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in April 2008.

Interview Details – Wow - process was tough and intense... I did all tests and interviews in opne day and was exhausted by the end. Interviewers each gave me honest feedback at the end of each interview and I valued that. Whilst it was intense, it was also fun

Interview Question – are there any clients you would refuse to work for?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate. I put forward a suggestion and negotiated around it. MD was very honest with me and where he saw me fitting in the overall scale.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in August 2009.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening followed up with the first 1:1, also on the phone, where I was tested in my ability to create user stories from nothing and general comprehension of XP practices.

The office interviews starting with logic and reasoning tests then a number of interviews. I wasn't tested in design. I liked the office although it's actually the bench. The people were interesting, obviously bright and doing XP, all good.

I found the last interview to be highly confusing as if we were back at the first stage again. However, I did learn that it's TWUK's preference to have only developers interested in implementation which seemed at odds to Agile but if that is the way they prefer to run their projects then so be it. On the whole it seemed that ThoughtWorks hire narrowly and prefer people straight from university as in the Accenture model.

As there was no work in any of my domains of experience we mutually agreed to close the interview process.

Interview Question – If you were a business analyst would you be interested in the implementation?   View Answers (2)

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for ThoughtWorks? Contribute to the Community!

ThoughtWorks Videos

ThoughtWorks – Why Work for Us?

OK, let’s get the corporate stuff out of the way first. ThoughtWorks is a global IT consultancy providing Agile-based systems development and consulting services. We've pioneered many of the most advanced and successful… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ThoughtWorks interview questions and advice in London, England. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by ThoughtWorks employees and interview candidates.