ThoughtWorks Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Apr 3, 2015

3.5

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview with an HR representative.
    A technical assignment which you have to complete in 3 days.
    A technical interview (via Skype) with one of their technical consultants.
    If you make it through the above, it is followed by an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• What constitutes good software.
      What were the technologies used.
      Decision making criteria when selecting architecture and technologies for a solution.
      Past projects and technologies / architecture used.First interview by the HR person / recruiter.

1 Answer

Graduate Quality Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied to ThoughtWorks (TW) by sending in a CV and a covering letter on their website. After a few weeks I was invited to have a phone interview.

Phone Interview:
    Basic questions about your motivation, what do you know about the company? Why are you interested in technology? How do you keep yourself up to date with current technology news? Etc. The phone interview lasted about 20-30 min and was nothing to worry about, just be yourself and ask any questions you might have.

Written Assessment:
    Received an email after the phone interview and invited to complete a QA Assignment I submitted my 2-3 pages written work within 3 working days.

Assessment Centre:
    After a few days I received an email that they liked my written assessment and that I was invited for an interview day in their office. As TW was in process of moving office it took many weeks before the assessment centre took place. Before attending the assessment centre you’ll have to complete a Predictive Index (PI) survey online.

I first had to sit an 1 hour Logic test which was tuff. You cannot prepare for this and instructions are given to you on the day.

I then had to hold a 20 min presentation (topic of my choice) in front of 3 people which was fine. Not really nerve wracking?

The presentation was followed by 1:1 interview about TW Social justice. This was pleasant interview, chatting for an hour about what Social Justice is for you?

Following the Social Justice interview I had a short lunch followed by an interview with two QA. They said I was over qualified and that I'll be bored? I all the time had to justify why I wanted the job. Me and the two chaps that were interviewing me where definitely not on the same planet?

After the QA interview I had to sit a Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test which is stupid. This test was implemented in the 1980’s? You can download and do a lot of practise test online beforehand if you like. Apparently if you’re a cleaner you score 14 (Good Will Hunting?) and if you’re Albert Einstein you’ll be out of scale?

After the assessment day I received an email that I was unsuccessful. Thought I would at least receive a phone call? I believe I was not the right fit for the company because of my background (I was not a newly fresh graduate).

Interview Questions

• How would you test this coke can?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between charity and empathy?   1 Answer

Graduate Quality Analyst (UK) Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online, with a CV + cover letter.

The next step was a 15-minute phone interview, where they asked standard questions:
    "Why here"/"Why this job" and also about social issues/ social projects (they're big on this!!).
    However, there was a massive echo in their room, so I could hear what I was saying repeated about 2 seconds later, which was tremendously off-putting.

Also, they said I couldn't start until March, when their website had said January, and it turns out their training is in Pune, India, which the website doesn't tell you (it mentions ThoughtWorks University/TWU, but doesn't mention a location, so I assumed it was London or Europe).

Overall, the job looked okay, but the process was so bad for me.

Principal Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

I was initially approached by TW based on my LinkedIn profile. I had an initial phone interview with a recruiter followed by another phone interview with someone in the same role as I was considering. Finally I was invited to the TW office for a full day of interviews, where I met and spoke to people in the same role, was involved in a discussion on social justice, was asked to prepare a presentation for a panel, sat personality and logic tests and finally had an interview with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about Edward Snowdon and the right to privacy of your data?   Answer Question

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The process took all-in-all around 5 months from initial contact to final acceptance. I was asked to travel to the London office upon completion of a coding task, where I undertook a series of activities; consisting of a 10min presentation (subject of interest), front-end dev interview, wonderlic test, logic test and a social and economic justice interview. All the people I came into contact with were extremely friendly and supportive, and quite obviously knew their stuff. After passing this stage, I was invited to do yet another coding task - this time back end. Upon review of the application, I was invited to Manchester where I completed a back-end developer interview. Once approved, the final stage was an interview with a manager before an offer was extended.

If looking to apply, be passionate about changing people's lives through the use of technology. If you don't - they will catch you out. It's not the easiest process to go through, but certainly an enjoyable experience. Be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Questions around Social and Economic justice will test your morale's and feelings toward certain issues. Be prepared for that. They are looking for thinkers and people who obviously support the company mission. Don't treat this as an interview per-say. Treat it as if you was having a conversation with a friend.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was happy with the offer. I had no need to negotiate.

Graduate Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The process is long and requires candidates to complete a technical test. Upon successful completion and the approval of a developer within the company, you are put through an assessment centre which comprises of IQ testing, presentations and a code review.

Interview Questions

• The code review can be difficult as a new comer to software engineering, your reasons and logic behind the technical test will be queries and questioned.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Initial contact with a TW internal recruiter led to an invitation to an industry event they were running. From there, I submitted a CV and was invited to interview. The process included:

- Interview with Head of Delivery, EU. General discussion based on my CV and past experience, why I was applying to Thoughtworks.

- Deliver a 15 minute summary of a previous project to a panel of three, followed by 15 min Q&A about the presentation. Very insightful questions from a friendly panel. I'd recommend using the whiteboard/flipchart to illustrate.

- Interview with Market Principal, UK South. General discussion based on my CV and past experience, why I was applying to Thoughtworks.

- "P3" Interview covering issues of social and economic justice. An interesting freeform discussion with a pair of consultants, presumably to make sure prospective hires don't have a world view that runs totally contrary to that of the firm. Come prepared with some issues to discuss, and prepare to have your views challenged.

- PM exercise - 1 hour prep time to review some project metrics and propose how you would lay out a project office. 1 hour interview with two project managers to discuss your proposals, and cover some practical aspects of running agile delivery projects.

- Logical reasoning test - 1 hour logic test. Demanding and really good fun. Having some idea of basic computer science concepts would be advantageous - e.g. program control loops, pointers and indirection, boolean logic.

- Psychometric test - Some kind of rapidfire Multiple choice test that I believe is very similar to US GMAT tests. Some of the verbal reasoning questions seemed to be culturally skewed towards the US, and I understand that this type of testing is much more common in the US education system, so US candidates would probably enjoy an advantage. For candidates from the rest of the world it might be worthwhile spending an hour or two getting some familiarity with GMAT question archetypes.

- Psychobabble test - A brief personality test administered online prior to interview.

Overall, the interviewers were friendly and interested in a dialogue, rather than the more structured competency-based approach used by some other firms.

The recruiter was outstanding - very responsive and clear communication at every stage. The whole process was impressively quick - 2 weeks from first interview to formal offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think we do the P3 [Social and Economic Justice] Interview?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation process felt transparent and fair.

Grad Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied online through their website. A week later I was invited to a phone interview. I didn't really prepare for the interview because I thought It would a basic interview just get to know you. But it turns out not to be the case. It was more about business analyst. Why I want to work for the company, what is business analyst, what challenges business analyst face, what events I attend. I thought I did well but they rejected me on the screen stage.

I was wondering if I can reapply after 4 months. I think thoughtworks is a good fit for me and I would enjoy working there.

Graduate Front End/UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position by sending my CV and cover letter via their website. After two weeks approximately, they send me an email to arrange a telephone interview. I waited for the call but nobody called, so I send them back for re-scheduling the interview. When they called me, they asked basic interview questions.

For example, why ThoughtWorks?, why the particular position? etc...

Interview Questions

• It was very disturbing the fact that they forgot to call.
      During the call, the place, where the interviewer was, was very noisy and I found it difficult to concentrate.

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at ThoughtWorks (London, England (UK)) in September 2013.

Interview

One phone call interview with HR and then given an activity to complete over 3 days.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider to be the "greater good"?   1 Answer