ThoughtWorks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Graduate Quality Assurance Analyst
Sydney (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in June 2012.

Interview Details – ThoughtWorks take the time to get to know their candidates and they encourage you to get to know them (some employers see recruiting as more of a one-way thing). This is the best interview experience I have had at any company to date.
Applied on website
Initial phone interview - about 30 minutes
Homework assignment - took me about 3 hours
Wonderlic aptitude test & non-technical coding logic test - about 2 hours
Interview day: group problem solving activity, presentation, cultural interview, consulting role-playing exercise, technical interview

Interview Question – Even for an entry-level role, they put you into a top-level consulting role-play i.e. you are meeting the client for the first time, establishing that relationship and beginning to understand their needs   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Sydney (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in May 2008.

Interview Details – ThoughtWorks had a very thorough interview process that spanned a number of days. It was slightly frustrating because one had to take out between 1 and 2 hours over 3 days or go in and spend a whole day with them (choice is yours)... but I appreciated and respected the thoroughness of the process.

Initial Phone interview with HR: went on for over 45 mins. The interviewer asks you questions designed to test your thought process and makes notes of your answers. Some of the questions are definitely off the beaten part E.g. what do you think of the future of facebook? There was also an opportunity to ask after the culture of the company and other questions that the candidate might have.

Testing: Two tests that took about 20-30 mins each. They call you in to their premises. For a BA role, the tests were (i) general aptitutde and (ii) comprehension (if i remember correctly)

Panel Interview: An interview with two contemporary BAs. We did a role play session where they played stakeholders and put me in a mock requirements gathering situation. I storyboarded stuff on a pencil and paper. It seemed to go down well with them. You can also ask them questions about the work culture, why they like the place etc.

1:1 Interview: I don't remember who this was with but it was with someone high up. This is just an opportunity to clear out the final details: he'll ask you what your career plan is, why you think you'll fit in well etc. You can ask him what sort of growth you can expect etc.

Interview Question – what, in your opinion, is the future of facebook?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I took a higher paying, less interesting contract job. I've always thought of going back because I was greatly impressed with the people and their processes.

Graduate Developer Interview

Graduate Developer
Sydney (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at ThoughtWorks in October 2007.

Interview Details – There are a few steps in the interview process, ranging from the initial questionnaire which offers your the opportunity to be creative with your answers through to the presentation style interview - where they ask you to speak either on a particular topic or a topic of your own choosing. As a graduate, they're really looking for how well you present yourself (because you clearly won't have the same level of experience as your potential colleagues) - and clearly express your point of view. My first perceptions of the work culture was that it was relaxed, friendly and fun. The place seemed casual and even now, they express to candidates that they should dress in what makes them feel comfortable. The most difficult part of the interview was the role play.

Interview Question – Now we are going to role play. I will give you very little information, and I expect you to just follow along. You are a consultant.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – All graduate packages are fixed.

Worked for ThoughtWorks? Contribute to the Community!