ThoughtWorks

www.thoughtworks.com

ThoughtWorks User Interface Developer Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

User Interface Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in January 2012.

After I applied online from their website, I didn't get any calls until almost after a month from the HR asking if I was ready for the interview rounds starting the day after. I got an email from the Development Team with a programming task. The task was to develop an iGoogle like interface using Javascript, HTML and CSS. I was free to use any javascript library I wanted to. I replied them back within the time limit i.e. 2 days. I got a call from the Development team again the next to next day after submission for the 1st technical round. They were two members on the other side of the phone. The questions were related majority to the assignment I submitted. Basically questions like, why I used JQuery, how else could have you achieved a particular functionality other than how you did etc.

Later they started asking me generic questions about, delegates, functions in pure javascript, about datatypes, using prototype functionality etc.

Basically, if you do your homework properly, you can get through easily. They were mostly casual in the way they communicated and the interview was pretty organized and timed. The work culture at ThougthWorks is quite similar to Google's, at least in the Pune office. Most of the employees are quite young.

Interview Questions
  • What is prototype in Javascript and how do you use it?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ThoughtWorks

User Interface Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at ThoughtWorks in January 2012.

I was asked to submit an assignment and I sent back the assignment after 3 days. Later I was called for face to face interview and after couple of postponing from their end and it started with a pair programming.

- Pair programming
       The interviewer sounded good and we started on some modification with the html. Shockingly his laptop had Visual Studio, eclipse, (he told about another IDE which I i don't remember now) and he was sorry to my as he did not have dreamweaver in his laptop. That's when It striked to me that i'm sitting inside a very dynamic environment which would require whatever the client ask for.

I preferred just notepad for the html, but he choose Visual Studio. He actually did not review the assignment prior to the pair programming. It basically went well but I did not so well on the javascript part as I did not remember the jQuery syntax/methods. While discussing with him I understood their PDLC is not ok.

Note: If you are from a Product company then ThoughtWorks may not be the best choice.

- FtoF interview
       Panel members of 2 interviewed me. The questions are below.

What is float? If some divs are floated and those parent is not floated how will you make the parent stretch upto its child. I have few answers and my answers then became part of the condition in the question. They pushed me to answer and gave my hands down.

One of the interviewer continuously pissed me off. He asked what is the thing that I'm comfortable in CSS. Then came the Javascript. They asked to write some snippet given a scenario on white board. In a moment I got the syntax of the object construction wrong and he commented that there is no syntax like this in Javascript. I should have quit the place rightaway but I was patient. He also asked pointing to my resume (which said Advanced Javascript - 25 months) what do I mean advanced here. I directly asked him as if I should remove it? It is attitude.

Then the recruiter came back with the comment saying that they are expecting a resource who can handle both UI and UX which is not a laid down in the JD.

Interview Questions