ThousandEyes Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

This was easily the worst interview experience I've ever had. After I applied for the job, I was contacted to come for an onsite interview. Even without a phone screen first, which was a red flag but I ignored it.

When I traveled to their office, the person I was supposed to speak to wasn't in the office, and did not inform anyone else I would be coming onsite. His coworkers scrambled to make the best of the situation and arranged for two people to talk to me. None of these people were familiar with my resume or skillset, and it turns out it did not line up with their expectations at all.

Usually I don't write reviews for interviews like this, but this experience was absurd.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied through their website. It's a very unfair process. I'm very disappointed that they asked me to do a coding challenge that took me 2 days and after their "review" they rejected without even offering me an interview to discuss it or a grade. Advice: Don't accept the coding challenge without being interviewed first, it is a total waste of time since other candidates will go in straight to a interview with a employee referral.

The coding challenge took me 2 days to complete because I wanted to impress and to test it well.

Interview Questions

• Write a C++ program to execute a DNS query to top 10 websites and store the latency on a MySQL DB.   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ThousandEyes.

Interview

I was referred by my colleague to ThousandEyes. Had a phone interview with executive and then they called me for onsite in SF office. Very smart and intelligent folks who kept the discussion focused. Interviewed with a team and they walked me through product. They were very honest about their hiring plans and recruiting needs.

Went for one more round of interviews, and it was again a great experience. A perfect start up environment and everyone is confident about the product.

Must say had a great experience meeting the team, and I wish I get to work with them in future.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions that were out of world or something out of subject.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ThousandEyes.

Interview

The whole interview process was based on emails only. First, there were a couple questions about experience, knowledge and a small code sample. Second, they ask you for a full stack implementation of a REST service, using spring, jdbc and mysql frameworks. It has to provide some twitter-similar functions such as authentication, follow- unfollow users and a test script. Sounds like a nice project, but also very time consuming - and if you get a rejection after that a waste of time.

Devops Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at ThousandEyes in March 2014.

Interview

A recruiter from Thousand Eyes reached out to me because of my LinkedIn profile. At the time I wasn't really looking for a new job, but I decided that it might be fun to go through the interview process anyway.

The recruiter started by telling me that the interview process with them starts with a series of questions and code samples, followed by a DevOps challenge, and ends with a phone interview with one of the company's founders. I only made it as far as the challenge before they turned me down, (I was a college student still working at my first SysAdmin position, and I think they were looking for someone with a wider skill-set), so I can't speak as to how the interview works, but I can talk about the questions and challenge:

The first questions were pretty straight-forward, asking to gage my experience and for some code samples:
    1. Can you share with us a code/script sample that you're proud of? (*)
    2. What is your level of experience with Bash?
    3. What is your level of experience with Python?
    4. Can you share with us Bash and Python code/script samples?
    5. Can you tell us about a hard problem you've had to solve, and how you went about solving it?
    6. Based on what you know about us, what would you find most interesting about working at a company like ThousandEyes?

(*) As far as the type of script, any relevant configuration automation code (e.g., puppet, python) related to the DevOps Engineer role is welcome.

After answering those questions and providing a handful of Python, Bash, Ruby & C++ code samples, they asked to continue on with the process my giving me a challenge project to complete in a week.

The DevOps Challenge was as follows:

They sent me a public-key to use as my identity when ssh-ing into an Amazon VPS, and asked me to do the following.

1. Fix a broken apache webserver. Make sure it runs and is serving pages correctly.
    2. Make sure that only certain services were accessible from the outside.
    3. Write a bash script that, given a directory, will:
        + replace 'foo' in any file names with 'bar'
        + replace 'foo' in the contents of any files with 'bar'
        + output the file names that were changed
    4. Write some Puppet scripts to configure the server according to their requirements

Make reasonable assumptions, state your assumptions, and proceed. Once you have completed the challenge let us know and share your thoughts on the problems/solutions.

I got busy with school and work, so I didn't manage to really start working on this until the day before it was due, and knocked it all out in one night. These were my assumptions:

In the end I didn't get the job, but I wish that I would have gotten some feedback about the challenge. Though since it was the very first time I had ever tried to do anything with Puppet (since I'm more experienced with Chef), I imagine that was what I probably didn't complete to their satisfaction.

Regardless, it was a very cool little interview process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ThousandEyes in October 2013.

Interview

This interview process seems to be unreal, from realm of other planets...and all the interviewing happened over email at this point, no human contact. The company recruiter began by sending me a questionnaire with questions like "why do you want to work for us", etc and asking for a code sample. I replied and 2 weeks later received an email....containing a coding assignment. No phone calls. The assignment, mind you, was allowed a week for completion, required to one of MVC frameworks, was specified as a full-fledged application hosted on public server and having both front and back end, AND full suite of integration and acceptance tests required. I laughed really hard when I saw this email as arrogance of some SF tech employers begins to cross all boundaries....why do they expect that a person will be coding full application for their coding assignment just to get a phone call instead of seeking a real job interview? This is so bad it's funny.

Interview Questions

• Coding assignment: write a Twitter-like API/service, allowing for at least 4 requests: follow a user, unfollow a user, get a list of people following a user, get a list of tweets of the user (including self-tweets and replies by followers). Full integration and acceptance test suite must be included. App has to be hosted on public server where they can access it. Back end using MySql. Use Java (MVC), Groovy + Grails, or Python + Flask. Output in XML or Json. Clients must use API tocken for authentication, framework must give 401 error if wrong tocken in used.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at ThousandEyes.

Interview

Stay away. Very unprofessional. If they decide not to hire you, they will never get back to you, and will just leave you hanging. They will ask for code samples from you and a very time consuming coding challenge. They should have at least the decency of getting back to the candidates.

Software Engineer Full Stack Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Java programming challenge

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ThousandEyes (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

They make you complete a fairly lengthy coding challenge that could easily take more than one week, and when you submit it-- if they are unhappy with it for any reason, they will simply tell you no, with no feedback of any kind.

Don't waste your time on a long coding challenge (they essentially make you do a project), you may as well apply elsewhere

Interview Questions

• Create a twitter like service with the following basic functionalities
        1. A login page for users to sign in and a link/portion for registration if user is not in the system.
        2. Once logged in, the user is directed to the home page where the user can post "tweets". Tweets appear with timestamp below on the users home page.
        3. A logged in user can search for other users and decide to "follow" them. Users cannot control whether they can be followed or not in this implementation. If a user is part of the system, then anybody can follow them.
        4. Tweets made by people the user follows also start to appear on the users home page. Page does not need to be refreshed for new tweets by other users to appear on the page.
        5. If a user decides to "un follow" somebody, past tweets are removed from that users page and no more future tweets appear.

In designing and implementing this system, feel free to correct things in twitter that you don't like or always wanted differently.

Languages: Java, JSP, Spring MVC, Javascript/JQuery, HTML, CSS (JQuery and Spring MVC are highly encouraged).
      Database: MySQL

Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at ThousandEyes in January 2013.

Interview

A recruiter contact me for a initial interview which was basically to get to know me. After that I've completed a code challenge that was to create a twitter API supporting basic functions like return the tweets from a user, start following a user, etc, in Java/Spring.

I've passed the code challenge and had an interview with one of the founders, to give me a overlook about the next step. Finally, got a technical interview with two guys, one from frontend to implement something using Javascript and the other backend using Java.