ThredUP

Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at ThredUP

Graphic Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ThredUP in July 2014.

The first step was a 15-minute phone interview where I was encouraged to ask questions about the company and position, but my work history and skills were never discussed (it was also worryingly mentioned that the standard employee workday is 11 hours). Next, I was offered an unpaid test project and was shocked at the scope of it—three original illustrated t-shirt designs and an email blast. In my experience, unpaid tests can usually be completed in 1-3 hours, whereas more in-depth assignments are treated as freelance and paid. I asked how long I was expected to spend on the assignment as was met with the dubious, "We don't know because everyone works at different paces." Projected timelines are a normal part of any project as they directly relate to how much the project ultimately costs, not to mention individual design speeds are a non-factor in knowing how much time certain types of work should generally require. Despite this major red flag, I spent 25 hours on the assignment and was then invited for an in-person interview. I mentioned being an out-of-state candidate, which was discussed before and during my first interview, and was then told the position was actually open to local candidates only.

Overall unprofessional at every step of the process. Even if offered the position, I would have serious concerns about the company's management and expectations.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were asked of me during the interview, I was intructed to ask the questions.   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ThredUP in August 2012.

Contacted by email to come in for in-person interview. Came in and got an immediate tour of the place. They immediately then asked "Why are you a good fit" They then proceeded to do the background check right away. I received confirmation a few days offer with an offer of $9.00 hour.

Interview Questions

I had two quirks about this place. Firstly, I received two different offer emails with two different start dates which led me to believe the girl doing the interviewing doesn't have her stuff in order at all. She even offered the start date on a week day when I made it clear I could only work weekends. I felt like I was on some auto-responder for her. Not once did she CALL. Which comes to another point...Their numerous job ads posted had Sat/Sun as a shift offer. They are now closed on Sundays. I didn't find this out until I made the time to come to the in-person interview...I would of not even came to the interview had I known the ad was wrong. Also, the ad says $8-$15 hourly. I had retail background and warehouse experience but, they only offer $9 hour for everyone regardless with review after 30 days of work which for a weekend person could be 6 months or so. The job is listed as a temporary position of 3 months or so...With a chance to go full-time so it just didn't make much sense to work the 1 day a week for little pay. This could work for others of course...Seemed like an okay atmosphere but, if you're looking for a career you'll have better luck with a more known brand like Gymboree or something. The interview overall was okay and they seem to offer it to anyone with a pulse who doesn't want a real long-term career and can just do the same monotonous thing all day...Just know your job is on the chopping block 3 months or so after acceptance.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at ThredUP in May 2012.

Interview was a one-on-one. Don't bother dressing too fancy, as the warehouse environment called for casual wear. It wasn't so much of an interview, but a tour of the facilities and a 'would you like to join us?' kinda thing. Everyone is very nice, workers are very pleasant. Wages were not discussed, so make sure to bring that up. Interview doesn't take too long, it's just a quick overview of everything the company does, and usually an offer of temporary employment.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't really any negotiation at all, they never really discussed wages.

Warehouse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at ThredUP in April 2012.

Contacted through email for an in person interview and a walk through. The location was in a decent size warehouse and I was promptly greeted by one of the employees. I was thrown off because I wore a nice suit and I expected a sit down interview. The individual interviewing me told me I would probably start sometime that week and the days off can be coordinated. I didn't fill out any applications which made me scratch my head and I left my resume and references for them to look over. Felt good about the interview but two days later got rejected. Not sure what was the reason, however now that I have been through a start-up interview, I am prepared next time. Looks like they were looking for a specific type of person and not some guy who looked like a corporate job hunter.