Thrillist Media Group

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

2.9

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview

Phone screen with a clueless recruiter, 30 minute phone screen with a developer, 4 hour in-person interview with a pen &paper test and done. Interview process was rather painless except that it took forever for manager schedules to free up and it made me feel as if they were not at all urgent in filling their open role.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Wanted to offer me $10,000K below what I was last making. I ended up taking a $5K pay cut as I was promised quick growth - I was lied to.

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted about a position at Thrillist via an external recruiter.

After about three weeks of waiting, they finally decided they wanted to phone screen me. The screen went so well that they invited me into the office to meet a few team members, but stressed that this wasn't the real first interview. The meeting went great, I got to talk to two senior members of their product and development teams.

After the meet and greet ended, the more senior member I spoke to said "Yeah, lets get you in here for a coding test and a real first interview." The company's internal recruiter was on board with this.

After a month and a half of emailing the external recruiter, today I found out that they are going with other people. The internal recruiter completely stopped responding to me, and never had the common decency to even tell me they were choosing to go with other people.

I cannot rate this experience poor enough. Terrible communication, nobody knew what was going on. The two technical people I spoke to didn't even see my resume before they met me. It's hard not to take it personally when your last communication with them was "let's bring you in for an interview!" and then they just drop you like a rock and can't even be bothered to notify you that you won't be getting an interview, let alone an offer.

Interview Questions

• No questions were asked, we just discussed technology stacks   Answer Question

Social Media Community Coordinator - NY Office Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thrillist Media Group in May 2014.

Interview

I was first contacted by the Talent Manager who emailed me 3 weeks to a month after submitting an application on their career website. The Talent Manager asked for my compensation requirements as well as some days and times that I was able for an initial interview with the Social Media Lead and Brand Director (both individual interviews). I scheduled the interview two days later and got a confirmation email and the names of the people I would be interviewing with so I was very appreciative of the professionalism. Additionally, I live in Central Jersey so, I was thrilled that they were considering me for the job in NYC.

I researched their office culture online (including Glassdoor) and came across words like "frat house" and "college atmosphere" along with a 6 minute YouTube video that confirmed both of those claims. I'm a 26 year old guy, and I subscribe to Thrillist so I was excited and not turned off to working at a place like that. So, when I walked into the office, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they expanded even more and had a news group layout and everyone was actively working as if they needed to meet a deadline. Not so much of an Animal House feel that I was expecting.

I met the Talent Manager at the front desk and she walked me to an additional level they had acquired for the expansion that was purely for the Social Media and Marketing Departments. We waited in the stylish conference room for my two interviewers to become available. First, the Social Media Lead and my prospective boss, where we talked about what I love about Social Media and how I stay current as well as my work experience as an entrepreneur Social Media Manager. She talked about how their Social Team was expanding and how they wanted to fill the positions immediately for their JackThreads brand. I also researched her on LinkedIn so I brought up how cool I thought her past work places were and how they compare to Thrillist. She seemed to appreciate the empowerment and lack of micro-managing from the work culture there. Then, she gave me an assignment to test my social media marketing skills and creativity with no due date.

I then met with the Brand Director about basically the same things and he talked about his role in the hierarchy of Directors. He also asked what my salary requirements were and I said $50,000 but he informed me there wasn't enough in the budget for that kind of salary. It appeared that he was the bad cop in the interaction, and the Glassdoor reviews about how people were complaining about their rate of pay and how they got the same reasoning for not being able to get a salary they wanted.

So, I left focused on how I would show them I could do the work. I worked on the assignment which was to do hypothetical social media posts for their JackThreads brand. My interview was in May, so I thought it would be logical to do a Summer and World Cup themed posts. Especially since JackThreads were selling Brazil Jerseys and Rio attire on their website for the same reasons. I even came up with potential YouTube videos, articles and interviews of people that could match the voice and tone of JackThreads. In addition to this, I talked about why my posts would be effective and even what time I would post them based on my statistical research I discovered when it was the best time to post on each social platform.

Obviously, because of the attention to detail I displayed I thought I was going the extra mile and at the very minimum show I could do the work. I interviewed on Friday and sent my samples in on Sunday, so they would get them Monday morning. However, I did not get a confirmation of receiving my work so I emailed her after 3 days asking if she received it. Then, the next day she confirmed that she received it and was impressed with my strategy and tactical approach for each platform. They were still in the hiring process and said that she or the Talent Manager would contact me soon.

However, no contact at all for about two weeks. Then I emailed her again just to check in but no response. So, I went to the Thrillist Career Website and noticed the position that I applied for was taken down. I then called the Talent Manager to inquire about my status (even though the writing as on the wall). And she informed me that they gave the job to someone else who lived in NYC. They never told me that it was an issue with me being from NJ, but apparently it was. I was turned off by the lack of professionalism after being initially impressed by the opposite. I thought that striking up a genuine rapport with each person I interacted with at least would have given me some professional closure towards the end.

Interview Questions

• Why are you deciding to stop being an entrepreneur and get a job at an agency/a company?   1 Answer

Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Two phases:

1. Phone Screen: Questioned on basic CS concepts. Questioned on domain / platform knowledge. 30 minutes.

2. On-site Interview: Given paper quiz with list of questions that range from CS concepts (OOP, MVC, SOA), to algorithms (string manipulation, any language), to domain / platform knowledge (differences between languages, memory management, etc), to software architecture (how would you architect an ads solution, from backend to frontend). 3-4 hours.

After interview, had on-site tour of the office. Very cool. Great culture. Very chill people. CEO also a great, passionate guy. Definitely great things and growth ahead.

Interview Questions

• How would you architect an ads solution for mobile, go as in-depth as possible to all layers of the stack.   1 Answer

Received a better offer elsewhere.

Web Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview

Applied through my school's Job portal. Recruiter contacted me by email. After intial background check phone call, there were 2 rounds of technical interviews. First one was phone interview and second one was online (hangout) coding interview. Phone interview had questions about basic OOP and java concepts : Polymorphism, abstract class and static methods, get and post methods. Database : normalization, sql injection. Coding interview was somewhat difficult.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will traverse an unbalanced, unsorted binary tree, looking for a node with a specific value. Your function should return a pointer to that node.   Answer Question
    • Write a small regular expression that will match most valid email addresses.   Answer Question
    • Write a program that, given a filename, returns the number of times the word “Thrillist” appears in the named file.   Answer Question
    • An existing e-commerce system sells widgets to registered customers. The company has too much excess inventory. It wants to be able to offer discounts on certain products to certain customers, or certain groups of customers. How would you extend the schema below to support such an enhancement to the system? Existing schema has 2 tables : Users and Products   Answer Question
    • For our mobile applications (iPad, iPhone and Android) we have to serve up different image advertisements to each different device. Generally our advertisers purchase their space for a month of time, but at times can be for only set periods of times. Sometimes they order for all three devices and other times for only one or two. Finally, each advertisement has a specific URL that the user should go to when they click on the advertisement.
      We need you to describe how you’d build a small application to serve up these advertisements. You don’t need to write line by line code, but be able to describe the architecture of the system from a high level.

Be prepared to describe:
      ● How would you serve up the mobile advertisements?
      ● How would the data for each advertisement be stored (i.e., what does the database look like)?
      ● How would you track how many times the advertisement has been viewed or clicked?

Answer Question

Web Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by the Company recruiter. 2 Phone interviews including a technical interview + 1 Onsite interview

Interview Questions

• 1. Write a function that will traverse an unbalanced, unsorted binary tree, looking for a node with a specific value. Your function should return a pointer to that node.

2. Write a small regular expression that will match most valid email addresses.

3. Write a program that, given a filename, returns the number of times the word “Thrillist” appears in the named file.

4. Database design question: An existing e-commerce system sells widgets to registered customers. The company has too much excess inventory. It wants to be able to offer discounts on certain products to certain customers, or certain groups of customers. How would you extend the schema below to support such an enhancement to the system?

5. Develop A Small Ad Server: For our mobile applications (iPad, iPhone and Android) we have to serve up different image advertisements to each different device. Generally our advertisers purchase their space for a month of time, but at times can be for only set periods of times. Sometimes they order for all three devices and other times for only one or two. Finally, each advertisement has a specific URL that the user should go to when they click on the advertisement.

Answer Question

Devops Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Thrillist Media Group (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

The interview consisted of a phone interview with the recruiter, after which I visited the offices for a tour. After the tour, I met with each individual team lead, of which there are three, and then the CTO. I was presented with a grouping of technical questions related to general LAMP stack operations, and whiteboarded a few examples. I was also asked about past challenges with co-workers and fellow employees. This was one of the easier interviews that I had been on.

I ended up going back for a second interview and met again with the CTO as well as the CEO, as I was unsure of the direction and current success of TMG. After that meeting I felt secure that TMG had a strong future and good direction and I wanted to be part of that team.

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard a general LAMP stack and explain the process   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate within 10% of my preferred salary. I'd recommend negotiating hard, as TMG is very budget minded but not afraid of paying for good people. They're just not willing to open the purse strings easily.

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Thrillist Media Group.

Interview

I just made one interview, there wasn't much talking but just a bunch of technical questions: Algorithms and data structures, regular expressions, and design questions.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question was related to manipulating a binary tree and doing some search in it. In fact, it wasn't that hard, but it was the very first question so it's kind of unexpected.   Answer Question