TiVo

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I had about 5 interviews from the team manager to the system architect. Every interviewer was concept oriented with some basic C/C++ questions and more intuitive questions on projects. Was also asked a couple of design questions based on abstract classes and virtual functions.

Interview Questions
    • Concept of smart pointers and how would you implement it   Answer Question

Software Engineer Mentorship Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TiVo.

A bit unorthodox. Before interviews, they had all the candidates sit together in the same room and each lunch. The interviewers were all nice, but there weren't any breaks between interviews and it lasted 4-5 hours. I didn't get much time to think about answers if I didn't say anything for more than a few seconds, so it felt very rushed.

Interview Questions
    • Something about finding coordinates of dots and figuring out which of any given pair were closest.   Answer Question

Director, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TiVo in July 2014.

The hiring and interview process at this company was very haphazard and frenetic. There was no clear process; the interviews were superficial; and the overall logistics were poorly managed. The recruiters and interviewers seemed to be constantly in a state of disarray with little to no organization, coordination, or efficiency.

I had regularly set expectations that my decision timing was the first week of August. This expectation was set with HR and the HM individually. When I received the offer on Friday July 25th at 5 PM, it had a 24 hour expiration. I informed HR that I would be making my decision on my specified timeline. I also indicated that I would be compiling my counter proposal after I received the benefits package. Upon hearing these details, and that I would be countering their offer, the company rescinded the offer due to be not accepting it quickly enough or accepting the offer in hand (details were not specified).

This led me to believe there is a significant lack of maturity in both the HR function at TiVo, as well as the hiring manager himself. To outright reject the candidate's timing and not accept counter offers is simply unacceptable in a modern, employee-centric organization.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TiVo in May 2014.

I submitted my application online and received a phone call shortly after from HR. I first interviewed with HR, then a few weeks later spoke to one of the managers I now work with on the phone. After the second phone interview, I had a Skype interview a couple of weeks later with the VP of Operations (I wasn't local at the time or else it would have been in the office) and I got the job. It was a pretty stress free interview process

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were fairly straightforward. I would say the only one I had a little bit of trouble with was explaining in a non-cliche way, why I wanted to work there.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because it was an internship

QA Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TiVo.

After a phone interview with recruiter, I had one face-to-face interview with hiring manager and permanent team co-workers (team mixing contractors and employees). Questions were reflecting previous experience directly related to the job: technologies, methodology of work as well as working style. The interview between 60 and 90 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • During the face-to-face interview with the team, a strange question came around those lines, something I had never heard before: A week ago, we had to pass on a candidate who did not satisfy our requirements. How can you convince us that you have what it takes to fill up this position?   Answer Question
    No negotiation with the manager but through HR.

Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TiVo in April 2014.

Submitted my resume online. Got call after few days. Had one telephonic and onsite interview. I felt interview was easy as I had good experience in the job role. Over all the interview experience was good and felt happy

No Negotiations.

QA Technician Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TiVo.

Applied through the TiVo website.
    Was contacted for a phone interview that lasted about 15 minutes. Interviewer was very personable and the process was comfortable.
    Interviewer asked a minor technical troubleshooting question over the phone.
    Got called in for in person interview during which I was interviewed by 3 people. Seemed like they were looking more for personality and can do attitude rather than a strong technical background for this entry level position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected if you can hook up your devices to your TV and make them work all by yourself.   Answer Question

QA Technician – Entry Level Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TiVo.

Initially I had Phone interview which was short and to the point. The interviewer was very friendly and cheerful. I was then called for in-person interview at TiVo and was interviewed by 2 people and it last for 30 minutes approx. The interview was very nice and they made me feel very comfortable. They didn't asked much technical questions, rather it was more practical situation & example based interview. Overall people are very nice, friendly and great relaxed company culture.

I had some personal issues.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TiVo.

People I met were great, I really enjoyed meeting them. But the offer was disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember anything too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Offer was very low.
    They presented a lower-than-market rate early on, for example "This role pays in the A-C range." My response early in the process was, "that's lower than I currently make, but if I like the fit, then I'm flexible. If it's closer to 'C' then it'll still be lower but probably do-able with other considerations."
    When the offer came, they presented 'A' and seemed shocked that I would turn that down.

And the way the Recruiter characterized my response was disappointing. Seems she didn't want the 'rejection' to reflect negatively on her so she spun my response in a negative way. It's just business people, it's not personal! And you should act more professional.

Anonymous Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TiVo.

Staffing was uncommunicative, and cold. Was unclear on any details, or even who I should talk to.

Interview Questions
    • Three-parter questions, and questions that didn't relate to skill set.   View Answer