TiVo

Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.8

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TiVo in March 2012.

Was called by recruiter for 1-1, then hiring manager 1-1. Did not get an email or call back.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a project you completed and implemented   Answer Question

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TiVo in March 2012.

Had an interview with Tivo and was set up by HR for a phone screening on a Tuesday. The Tivo recruiter didn't call at the scheduled time and just completely blew it off. The next day on Wednesday I got another phone screening interview with the recruiter for Thursday via Jobvite.

On Thursday the recruiter calls 25 minutes late and I mention that we were originally scheduled for Tuesday. She responds with oh well I had some last minute meetings as if that made it okay to just completely blow it off. After going over my background and the job responsibilities she tells me she will schedule a phone interview with the Hiring Manager for the position. She says that she was will me a interview confirmation to tell me when the interview will be.

What do you know? She never sends it and the Hiring Manager just calls me out of the blue when it was unexpected. During the phone interview it was pretty much a full on interview with all the typical questions.

I must say this was probably the worst experience I've ever had with HR.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at TiVo in August 2011.

First is a phone screening then if that goes well, you schedule an interview. It's good they supply you with directions with TiVo being kind of hidden. The next part of the process is either a 1 on 1 or group interview. The interviews can last all day. Following the interviews, you told that they will give you a call if you got the job.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at TiVo in May 2011.

I thought the interview went well. There were about 6 people interviewed back to back.
    After the interview, they never contacted me, even though I asked for an update a couple of times. After that I gave up.
    Companies don't realize that a lot of effort goes into preparing for interview and during the interview. They should have the courtesy to provide a yes/no answer.

Interview Questions
    • Can project management techniques be applied to high tech companies?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - C++ Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TiVo in May 2011.

Was contacted by a head-hunter I've dealt with before. Between the conversation with the HH, and the actual interview, I had heard NOTHING back. I finally got confirmation I was going to get a phone screen with Tivo, which surprised me a little bit. Thing is, I haven't been idle either. I verbally accepted another offer in the meantime.

I told the HH that I wasn't moving forward with Tivo. He convinced me to continue with the screen. It was a total waste of my time. The mgr was nice enough, but hit me with a lot of non-boiler plate C++ questions, and a cute number-theory problem. There wasn't much interest in my experience.

Well Tivo, you did a good job chasing away a good candidate...great job! Just realize you're a one-trick pony, even if that pony is an iconic product!

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at TiVo in May 2011.

Recruiter from staffing agency (Ultimate Staffing) responded to my online application via phone call. After a brief conversation the recruiter set an appointment for in-person interview. Had interview with the Director of the department. Calm environment, reviewed resume, and asked a few personality questions. Interview lasted 40 minutes. Received call from recruiter two days later saying the position had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • Name a type of software or application that I might not be familiar with and tell me how TiVo could implement it.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TiVo in March 2011.

I had a one on one interview with a Tivo software engineer who tested me on some simple algorithm questions. For instance, the employee asked me of a good way to determine how many times a character exists in a file. I used a two for statements and a hashtable. In many interviews like this, hashtables are the way to go. This interview went well and I got a second interview.

The second interview didnt go very well. It was very technical and they tested me on Java application development. I don't have a lot of experience in Java APPLICATION dev. Its probably a good thing that it didn't go any further because I don't have the required skills. But it was good to practice interviewing and all of the staff were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find how many times a character was present in a file?   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TiVo in January 2011.

Process went from online application to contact with in-house recruiter, to brief phone screen, to on-site interview with several people in the group that I would be working with. I also talked to the prospective boss and his boss. Some of the skills questions I was fully prepared for, but the one listed below was a bit tricky -- but had relevance.

Interview Questions
    • How would you ensure proper receipt of communications between earth and moon?   Answer Question

Systems Software Engineer - Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at TiVo in December 2010.

I got call from their certified vendor. I need to work on vendor's payroll. They arranged phone interview and reference check,

Interview Questions
    • what is Virtual memory? Difference between new and malloc? Statics in C++.   Answer Question
    • Media processing pipeline questions   Answer Question
    Rate was decided before setting up the interview.

Senior AP Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TiVo in September 2010.

Resume review by hiring manager, phone interview with hiring manager. Then person to person interview with hiring manager first. Next, schedule for face to face interview with the team. Get fedback from the team and decide who should be the best fix for the team.