TiVo Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.8

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Very quick to reply with automatic email. Then recruiter contacted with 48 hours.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to detail and diagram how I would structure an executive presentation.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Had a phone interview with the HR rep to see if I was interested in talking with the Director. I then talked with Director and set up a time to come in and meet the rest of the team. We discussed my experience, as well as, what the role would entail.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I had experience prototyping and if so what was my process.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TiVo.

Interview

I sent my resume and received the phone call for the first interview with in 20 mins. I was not ready for it at all. I was asked a few questions about java. I received a call an hour later scheduling the second interview for the next day. That interview was more personal questions about me and my experience with java.

Interview Questions

• How would you access a database in java? What is an application server? Which is more important, software or hardware?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

My first in-person interview was at my school with a recruiter. She asked very fundamental questions that decent CS student would be able to answer with no problems. Questions like the following were asked: 1) What is an object? 2) What is polymorphism? 3) What was the hardest project you worked on and why? 4) What is the largest team you have worked with? The were all simple questions. However, because the recruiter did not have a technical background, she typed all my answers verbatim into her laptop, which would later be forwarded to the hiring managers to determine if I qualified for a second interview. A week later, I got an email from the recruiter. The hiring manager for the department wanted to speak with me over the phone before going for the final on-site interview. Three days later, the hiring manager called me up at the scheduled time. He asked very general questions about myself 1) What is your favorite language? 2) What is this project you worked on (from resume)? 3) What are would you like to work on if you get the job? Then he asked me to explain the Strategy design pattern. He also asked me to talk out how I would code a GUI based clock using the MVC pattern in Java. After a long talk about the MVC pattern, he then he asked me if I knew about the Singleton pattern. I didn't, so he explained what it was. After he specified what it was, he asked me to implement it. I was having trouble with thinking of what to do, but he guided me toward the right direction. Before we ended the phone interview, he told me that based on last year's candidates, you would probably get the job this year. However, I still had to go to one more on-site interview which was to be scheduled with my recruiter later. The recruiter was supposed to email me back within a couple days, which she did. She said that Tivo needed to wait for more applicants so we can schedule the interviews on the same day. I wait another 3 weeks, where each time the last interview was delayed. Finally, the recruiter one day emailed me that the hiring manager that interviewed me is no longer with the company, so I had to talk to another manager over the phone. My next 5 minute phone conversation with the other manager was not even a technical interview, but just a series of questions of what I would like to work on. He told me in the end that he will try to look for a position that suits me. Lo and behold, I got an "automated" email message saying "We have reviewed your experience and qualifications. At this time we are pursuing other candidates that appear to more closely fit our opening. " I did not get the job obviously.

Interview Questions

• What are the disadvantages of using MVC for a GUI based clock?   Answer Question

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA).

Interview

Interview consisted of 1 phone screen with recuriter. Then, hiring manager phone screen. then in-person interview with recruiter first, then entire team (panel interview), then with skip-level (Director), then 2 separate cross-functional managers, then with hiring manager, last.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate for extra pay and additional stock options.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

2 phone interviews and flyback. These guys are REALLY disorganized.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Asked questions about java such as: How garbage collection works, OOP questions, and diferences between Java and other languages such as C/C++

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Was called by recruiter for 1-1, then hiring manager 1-1. Did not get an email or call back.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a project you completed and implemented   Answer Question

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Had an interview with Tivo and was set up by HR for a phone screening on a Tuesday. The Tivo recruiter didn't call at the scheduled time and just completely blew it off. The next day on Wednesday I got another phone screening interview with the recruiter for Thursday via Jobvite. On Thursday the recruiter calls 25 minutes late and I mention that we were originally scheduled for Tuesday. She responds with oh well I had some last minute meetings as if that made it okay to just completely blow it off. After going over my background and the job responsibilities she tells me she will schedule a phone interview with the Hiring Manager for the position. She says that she was will me a interview confirmation to tell me when the interview will be. What do you know? She never sends it and the Hiring Manager just calls me out of the blue when it was unexpected. During the phone interview it was pretty much a full on interview with all the typical questions. I must say this was probably the worst experience I've ever had with HR.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

The recruiters were courteous and friendly, the company is very professional. They showed me to a conference room which are all named after old television shows ( I think I was in spongebob).

Interview Questions

• How many hours can you work? Where was the last place you worked? Etc.   Answer Question