TiVo Interview Questions & Reviews

43 interviews

2.8

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alviso, CA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TiVo in March 2012.

Was called by recruiter for 1-1, then hiring manager 1-1. Did not get an email or call back.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a project you completed and implemented   Answer Question

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TiVo in March 2012.

Had an interview with Tivo and was set up by HR for a phone screening on a Tuesday. The Tivo recruiter didn't call at the scheduled time and just completely blew it off. The next day on Wednesday I got another phone screening interview with the recruiter for Thursday via Jobvite.

On Thursday the recruiter calls 25 minutes late and I mention that we were originally scheduled for Tuesday. She responds with oh well I had some last minute meetings as if that made it okay to just completely blow it off. After going over my background and the job responsibilities she tells me she will schedule a phone interview with the Hiring Manager for the position. She says that she was will me a interview confirmation to tell me when the interview will be.

What do you know? She never sends it and the Hiring Manager just calls me out of the blue when it was unexpected. During the phone interview it was pretty much a full on interview with all the typical questions.

I must say this was probably the worst experience I've ever had with HR.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TiVo in May 2011.

I thought the interview went well. There were about 6 people interviewed back to back.
    After the interview, they never contacted me, even though I asked for an update a couple of times. After that I gave up.
    Companies don't realize that a lot of effort goes into preparing for interview and during the interview. They should have the courtesy to provide a yes/no answer.

Interview Questions
    • Can project management techniques be applied to high tech companies?   Answer Question

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at TiVo in June 2010.

It was pretty straight forward. They ask you some technical questions bout setting up equipments. It is a great place to work if you have school.

Interview Questions

Just didn't like the pay

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at TiVo in March 2011.

I had a one on one interview with a Tivo software engineer who tested me on some simple algorithm questions. For instance, the employee asked me of a good way to determine how many times a character exists in a file. I used a two for statements and a hashtable. In many interviews like this, hashtables are the way to go. This interview went well and I got a second interview.

The second interview didnt go very well. It was very technical and they tested me on Java application development. I don't have a lot of experience in Java APPLICATION dev. Its probably a good thing that it didn't go any further because I don't have the required skills. But it was good to practice interviewing and all of the staff were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find how many times a character was present in a file?   View Answers (2)

Systems Software Engineer - Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Alviso, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TiVo in December 2010.

I got call from their certified vendor. I need to work on vendor's payroll. They arranged phone interview and reference check,

Interview Questions
    • what is Virtual memory? Difference between new and malloc? Statics in C++.   Answer Question
    • Media processing pipeline questions   Answer Question
    Rate was decided before setting up the interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alviso, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at TiVo in May 2011.

Recruiter from staffing agency (Ultimate Staffing) responded to my online application via phone call. After a brief conversation the recruiter set an appointment for in-person interview. Had interview with the Director of the department. Calm environment, reviewed resume, and asked a few personality questions. Interview lasted 40 minutes. Received call from recruiter two days later saying the position had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • Name a type of software or application that I might not be familiar with and tell me how TiVo could implement it.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer - C++ Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alviso, CA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TiVo in May 2011.

Was contacted by a head-hunter I've dealt with before. Between the conversation with the HH, and the actual interview, I had heard NOTHING back. I finally got confirmation I was going to get a phone screen with Tivo, which surprised me a little bit. Thing is, I haven't been idle either. I verbally accepted another offer in the meantime.

I told the HH that I wasn't moving forward with Tivo. He convinced me to continue with the screen. It was a total waste of my time. The mgr was nice enough, but hit me with a lot of non-boiler plate C++ questions, and a cute number-theory problem. There wasn't much interest in my experience.

Well Tivo, you did a good job chasing away a good candidate...great job! Just realize you're a one-trick pony, even if that pony is an iconic product!

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at TiVo in March 2008.

I received an email from HR rep. I emailed back to set up the appointment.
    I had interviews with 5 people, including the hiring manager, future peers, and manager of another group.
    People were smart and nice
    Atmosphere and dress is casual.
    Office appearance is pleasant, kitchen on each floor with free coffee and tea, discounted sodas
    People work hard

Interview Questions
    Check glassdoor.com for some salary comparisons.
    I told them the salary I was making and it was a bit higher than what they wanted to offer me, so we compromised by them offering me a $5,000 sign on bonus.

Build and Release Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at TiVo in May 2010.

I only got as far as a phone interview. Was interviewed by Senior Mgr, HM was out on leave at the time. It went well, but I think not knowing Perforce may have been the main issue, since initial duties were to take over another's daily tasks. The followup interview never really happened despite emails saying I was highly considere initially, final emails indicated that they had found other more qualified candidates. Funny thing, the same job postings were still be advertised over a month later.

Interview Questions
    • Why was I at my last employer so long? (my previous position had been 30 years).   View Answer
    • What did I think about working with offshore help? This was primarily aimed at India.   View Answer