TiVo

TiVo Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

2.9

Director, Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TiVo in July 2014.

The hiring and interview process at this company was very haphazard and frenetic. There was no clear process; the interviews were superficial; and the overall logistics were poorly managed. The recruiters and interviewers seemed to be constantly in a state of disarray with little to no organization, coordination, or efficiency.

I had regularly set expectations that my decision timing was the first week of August. This expectation was set with HR and the HM individually. When I received the offer on Friday July 25th at 5 PM, it had a 24 hour expiration. I informed HR that I would be making my decision on my specified timeline. I also indicated that I would be compiling my counter proposal after I received the benefits package. Upon hearing these details, and that I would be countering their offer, the company rescinded the offer due to be not accepting it quickly enough or accepting the offer in hand (details were not specified).

This led me to believe there is a significant lack of maturity in both the HR function at TiVo, as well as the hiring manager himself. To outright reject the candidate's timing and not accept counter offers is simply unacceptable in a modern, employee-centric organization.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TiVo.

People I met were great, I really enjoyed meeting them. But the offer was disappointing.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember anything too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Offer was very low.
    They presented a lower-than-market rate early on, for example "This role pays in the A-C range." My response early in the process was, "that's lower than I currently make, but if I like the fit, then I'm flexible. If it's closer to 'C' then it'll still be lower but probably do-able with other considerations."
    When the offer came, they presented 'A' and seemed shocked that I would turn that down.

And the way the Recruiter characterized my response was disappointing. Seems she didn't want the 'rejection' to reflect negatively on her so she spun my response in a negative way. It's just business people, it's not personal! And you should act more professional.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online – interviewed at TiVo in May 2013.

Standard interview questions. Director who interviewed wasn't very interested. He had been there for a long time.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at TiVo in April 2012.

Asked questions about java such as: How garbage collection works, OOP questions, and diferences between Java and other languages such as C/C++

Sales Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TiVo in March 2012.

Had an interview with Tivo and was set up by HR for a phone screening on a Tuesday. The Tivo recruiter didn't call at the scheduled time and just completely blew it off. The next day on Wednesday I got another phone screening interview with the recruiter for Thursday via Jobvite.

On Thursday the recruiter calls 25 minutes late and I mention that we were originally scheduled for Tuesday. She responds with oh well I had some last minute meetings as if that made it okay to just completely blow it off. After going over my background and the job responsibilities she tells me she will schedule a phone interview with the Hiring Manager for the position. She says that she was will me a interview confirmation to tell me when the interview will be.

What do you know? She never sends it and the Hiring Manager just calls me out of the blue when it was unexpected. During the phone interview it was pretty much a full on interview with all the typical questions.

I must say this was probably the worst experience I've ever had with HR.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TiVo in March 2011.

I had a one on one interview with a Tivo software engineer who tested me on some simple algorithm questions. For instance, the employee asked me of a good way to determine how many times a character exists in a file. I used a two for statements and a hashtable. In many interviews like this, hashtables are the way to go. This interview went well and I got a second interview.

The second interview didnt go very well. It was very technical and they tested me on Java application development. I don't have a lot of experience in Java APPLICATION dev. Its probably a good thing that it didn't go any further because I don't have the required skills. But it was good to practice interviewing and all of the staff were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find how many times a character was present in a file?   View Answers (2)

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TiVo in December 2009.

Was told about an opening from a contact on LinkedIn - a VP at the company. Met the hiring manager for an informational interview within a week. Came back for a half-day of interviews with 7 people a week later. Had one final phone interview with a peer who was not available previously. Most of the interview questions were of the "standard" type. No behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What is your management style. This is a question without context. As it happens I had a similar management style as the person who asked me the question, and at the end was told he would recommend me for the position with reservations.   Answer Question
    Since I was a good fit for the position, so I was able to negotiate for a relocation package.

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TiVo in November 2009.

The interview went with 2 phone screens and 2 on site interview.. everything went well but it seems there was some one else with more experience got the job.