TiVo

Updated Nov 19, 2014

3.2

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I had about 5 interviews from the team manager to the system architect. Every interviewer was concept oriented with some basic C/C++ questions and more intuitive questions on projects. Was also asked a couple of design questions based on abstract classes and virtual functions.

Interview Questions
  • Concept of smart pointers and how would you implement it   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TiVo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at TiVo in April 2012.

Asked questions about java such as: How garbage collection works, OOP questions, and diferences between Java and other languages such as C/C++

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TiVo in March 2011.

I had a one on one interview with a Tivo software engineer who tested me on some simple algorithm questions. For instance, the employee asked me of a good way to determine how many times a character exists in a file. I used a two for statements and a hashtable. In many interviews like this, hashtables are the way to go. This interview went well and I got a second interview.

The second interview didnt go very well. It was very technical and they tested me on Java application development. I don't have a lot of experience in Java APPLICATION dev. Its probably a good thing that it didn't go any further because I don't have the required skills. But it was good to practice interviewing and all of the staff were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find how many times a character was present in a file?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TiVo in January 2011.

Process went from online application to contact with in-house recruiter, to brief phone screen, to on-site interview with several people in the group that I would be working with. I also talked to the prospective boss and his boss. Some of the skills questions I was fully prepared for, but the one listed below was a bit tricky -- but had relevance.

Interview Questions
    • How would you ensure proper receipt of communications between earth and moon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TiVo in September 2009.

First email from internal recruiter then phone screen. Phone interview with hiring manager, phone interview with another engineer, 12 back-to-back in person interviews.

I didn't negotiate