Tilly's Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tilly's in March 2015.

It was a group interview of about 12 people, including myself. They asked you pretty easy questions - nothing too difficult to answer. But the MOST important thing is to make sure you're the first to answer every question! Make sure they remember you! And definitely do some research beforehand. Afterwards, they pulled 4 of us aside for "follow up questions." The manager started asking us about our schedules and some other interview questions. Then she said she would call by the end of the week to let us know if we got the job. All in all, you'll have a good shot at getting the job if you talk the most out of the group and have a good attitude/personality. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of an open ended question.   View Answer
    • Have you ever witnessed an act of dishonesty, and if so, what did you do about it?   Answer Question
    • What does personal image mean to you?   Answer Question
    • How would you suggest an item to a customer without being pushy?   Answer Question
    • What do you think makes a good Tilly's employee?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tilly's.

Got there a little early and was walked to their back room. There I met the manager and asked common questions and some fashionably influenced. After all those questions she asked when I could start. Of course I said as soon as you want me too. Now I'm scheduled to work just 3 days after my interview.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Tilly's.

First , the manager had a group interview where she went around and asked various situaltional questions as well as getting to know future employes. After going around in the group we would have to pass a test to see if were able to catch false check , cards and information.

Interview Questions
    • How would I recommend promotions to customers with out bugging them or coming on to strong.   View Answer
    The only thing i negotiate was, i was attendidng school so I had a schedule of attending school two days out of the week. Manager understood and had me off those days to attend school.

Sales Associate Interview

Was placed in an interview with 14 other people and two hiring managers during the seasonal hiring. During the time, everyone needed to answer questions individually in front of everyone. Was a bit intimidating, but the questions were pretty standard and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Picking out a clothing combination and trying to sell it to a group of 15 people.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tilly's in February 2015.

I brought my application in on a Monday and was invited to an interview on Friday. There were 8 people. 3 boys and 5 girls. Ages ranging from 16-21. The assistant manager, and the in store visual merchandiser were the ones asking the questions. Very friendly and made me feel really relaxed. Shared a lot of funny stories and were very open. Would always answer the question themselves too. Very important tip is to always show initiative and be one of the firsts to raise your hand. Smile and look confident.

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Tilly's.

The interview process was very smooth and enjoyable. The questions were direct but did not feel as though I was in an interrogation. There is a two separate interview process. The first is with the store manager and then the next is with the district manager. This process can take a little longer depending on the district managers schedule. The store I was applying to was very friendly and worked with me through the scheduling troubles the DM had come up unexpectedly.

Interview Questions
    • What can you do to increase the over all sales of the store?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tilly's.

So I this is my first job, I went in the store, and filled out an application (they were in the open) and I had the interview 2 days ago, and got a phone call today, that I got the job. The interview was VERY laid back, and its in between talking with friends, and adult friends of your parents. It is a group interview, so always be the first one to answer the questions. You need to shine out compared to the other potential candidates

Dress Code: Wear what you would wear to the store for a job, or what you would wear going out with friends. Guys: Skater jeans, some skate shoes (Nike, Adidas. You dont need to have these) T-Shirt with a brand they sell at the store. Girls: When I was there, these girls wore jeans, with converse, and a shirt with a jacket (In a guy, so I have no idea what they were wearing, but dress normally). Dont dress up nice, dress up like you would go to school, or hang out with friends

Questions: 1)Introduce yourself
    2)Greatest accomplishment
    3) What does customer service mean to you?
    4) Shoplifting red-flags
    5) What does personal image mean to you
    6) does what you wear, represent who you are?
    7) Do you follow any fashion models

Answers: 1) My name is "Bob Saget", I go to This highschool, and I am in these classes. I do these hobbies for fun, and hangout with friends.

2) My greatest accomplishment would have to be this. I achieved this goal by doing this with the help of family and friends

3) Customer service is a service in which the customer can feel comfortable. One where they would come back, because they know all their questions will be answered, and one they can tell others about.

4) Large groups, big bags, looking at employees more than items for sale, looking for cameras, refusing help, Looking at the accessories, rapid movements, longer then normal dressing room times, asking stupid questions

5) Personal image is what defines who you really are. What you wear contributes to what people think of you, whether it be a first impression, or a longstanding friendship.

6) Yes. Your shoes, pants, shirts, and the accessories you wear can defiantly reflect on what kind of a person you are

7) Im a guy, so I said no. I was the only guy there, and there were about 11 girls. Everybody laughed when I said no lol

Finally they make you pick out an outfit for an occasion they pick (party, Christmas, mall trip, vacation, etc.) It may be for the opposite sex, it may not be. Mine was. If youre a guy picking out what a girl should wear, keep it simple. Look at some of the clothes Kate Upton or Demi Lavato wear (hot girls) If youre a girl picking out guys clothes, think of what you would want your boyfriend to wear. REMEMBER WHERE YOU GOT YOUR ITEMS, THEY WILL MAKE YOU PUT THEM BACK.

Finally when everything is done, they will say "We will call you soon with an offer. If we dont call within 2 weeks, that pretty much means you didnt get the job. Feel free to apply again"

Interview Questions
    No negotiation if you are a sales associate. You get paid minimum wage. .

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Tilly's in November 2014.

My interview was very chill and laid back. It was two of the girl managers interviewing a group of 5 of us in the back corner of the store. The managers were very nice and friendly. She started off the interview by going in a row saying our name and a cool thing about ourselves. Then she asked basic questions with scenarios. At the end of the interview we had to pick out and outfit for an occasion, my occasion was dinner and a movie, when we got our outfits together we had to sell them to the manager. After everything she said if they were interested in hiring one of us that we would hear back by tomorrow afternoon.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of fashion instagrams/celebrities you follow on social media and why?   Answer Question
    • What's your kind of fashion?   Answer Question
    • If a teacher were to say something about you what would they say?   Answer Question
    • What's the most important thing about being a tillys worker?   Answer Question
    • How would you be personable with a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tilly's in November 2014.

It was a group interview with 7 people. We were pulled into the back room. A lot of the people were wearing t-shirts and jeans. I felt almost over dressed. The interviewers were very friendly, and had an icebreaker question, which was "If you were an animal, what would you be." The whole process was overall very laid back, it felt like a casual conversation. The interviewers were the assistant manager and the store manager. The store manager asked the questions, while the assistant manager wrote down notes. After the questions, they grouped us into two's and we were to design an outfit based on the gender we were assigned. You have to make an effort to stand out, as some people remained silent, and didn't attempt to answer any questions. They said we would hear from them by next week.

Interview Questions
    It's a sales job, it's minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tilly's in November 2014.

I got a phone call for a group interview it was about 6 people the manager asked us really fun questions basically to say a bit about ourselves and to pick a word to describe yourself and then we picked an outfit and explained why we choose it and then she asked two of us to stay and asked us to come for a second interview with the actual store manager and so basically same questions why tillys what can you bring to the team then after that 20 mins later I recorded a call that I got the job.