Tilly's Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Tilly's in July 2015.

Interview

When I turned in my application, the manager asked me a couple questions. I was called for an interview a week after I turned in an application.I came in 10 minutes early before the interview and this lady told me to go walk around and wait a couple minutes. I walked around Tilly's for about 15 minutes and still hear nothing. An employee came up to me and asked if I was looking for anything in particular.. I replied, "I'm actually waiting for the interview." The employee told me she'll let her manager know. A few minutes pass by and still no word. The employee who talked to me and who told me the interview would be in a few minutes walked by over 100 times and said nothing. I have been looking around for an hour and Tilly's isn't really a big place, so I walked to the back and heard the workers say something about me being a minor and needing my parents. At that point I was so frustrated and walked out. They were so unorganized and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you're capable of working at Tilly's?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Tilly's

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tilly's (Fresno, CA).

Interview

it took about a week after I applied when they called for an interview. it was a group interview so it can be a little intimidating. The interview questions were common sense, very easy. Even if you don't have retail experience you should be able to answer the questions no problem. the only part I had trouble with was putting an outfit together in a minute. But if you have no trouble picking oufits you are more than likely to get the job

Interview Questions

• If a customer came out of a dressing room with one item missing (a shirt) how would you approach the customer about the missing item?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tilly's (Thousand Oaks, CA).

Interview

I had an extremely informal interview and just happened to meet the store manager one night when out to dinner with my best friend. It wasn't even really an interview.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tilly's (Santa Ana, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a nice 4 people group interview. She just gave us some scenarios and told us to explain to her what we would do in that situation. She did start with a tell me about yourself question at first as an ice breaker. I thought I did great during the interview but i guess not! :(

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tilly's (Schaumburg, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Had a group interview of about ten applicants. Managers basically just asked us all questions about ourselves and about our social media preferences and our opinions of what good customer service is.

Interview Questions

• Where was the best customer service you received and where did you receive it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tilly's (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Pretty fun interview! very very informal though. I definitely feel like I was way overdressed for the interview (I was wearing slacks, dress shoes and a nice button up shirt) I probably should just wear a tank top and a hat. I had a group interview with 4 ladies and myself (male). We were all pretty much around the same age (twenties) right at the beginning of the interview we were told by the hiring manager to feel comfortable. The hiring manager did very well by engaging us and making us feel comfortable by the middle of the interview we were already making jokes and enjoying the interview process. We answer a few questions, this was my least favorite part of the interview, even though I probably had the best answers from my group. We were answering questions in the order we were standing (right-left and left-right) instead of raising your hand or shouting the answer. I was in the middle so by the time it was my turn to answer I was able to build a very good answer but some girls were pretty much repeating the same exact answer just using different words. I would've prefer a different way, perhaps a different question to each person. In my opinion it's a better way to evaluate a candidate. After a few questions we were given 1 minute to go pick up our favorite item from the store and bring it in. I introduced a pair of shoes to the group and explained the reasons why I would get this item for myself or someone. Then were given 2 minutes to build an outfit around this item, and also to think about an occasion where you would use this outfit. After you presented your outfit and listened to everyone else give a little spiel on their outfit the hiring manager gave us an item from someone else in the group so we could assemble another outfit. This time we were going to build an outfit for someone of the opposite sex. I have never dated someone with bad taste, so I would like to express my most sincere gratitude for taking me shopping with them, I had not trouble whatsoever pulling a good outfit together for a girl. Actually my group agreed that I picked the best outfit in the group for the opposite sex. An important detail I forgot to mentioned is to remember where you get the stuff from since you have to put everything back in place. We answered a few more questions but that was pretty much the whole group interview. If you're outgoing and prepare yourself enough as far knowing how to put a good outfit together and explaining your reasons behind it you should be good. Good luck to anyone applying!

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself and what’s one of your hobbies:   Answer Question
    • What does personal image mean to you?   Answer Question
    • Do you have social media? What kind of fashion instagrams/celebrities you follow on social media and why?   Answer Question
    • What is the difference between good service and great service? Tell us about your favorite place and how the customer service there? Worst experience?   Answer Question
    • How would you tell your friends who ask about a discount, that you’re not able to use your discount for them? Have you ever witnessed an act of dishonesty, and if so, what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goleta, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tilly's (Goleta, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview of about 12 people, including myself. They asked you pretty easy questions - nothing too difficult to answer. But the MOST important thing is to make sure you're the first to answer every question! Make sure they remember you! And definitely do some research beforehand. Afterwards, they pulled 4 of us aside for "follow up questions." The manager started asking us about our schedules and some other interview questions. Then she said she would call by the end of the week to let us know if we got the job. All in all, you'll have a good shot at getting the job if you talk the most out of the group and have a good attitude/personality. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of an open ended question.   1 Answer
    • Have you ever witnessed an act of dishonesty, and if so, what did you do about it?   Answer Question
    • What does personal image mean to you?   Answer Question
    • How would you suggest an item to a customer without being pushy?   Answer Question
    • What do you think makes a good Tilly's employee?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tilly's (South Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Got there a little early and was walked to their back room. There I met the manager and asked common questions and some fashionably influenced. After all those questions she asked when I could start. Of course I said as soon as you want me too. Now I'm scheduled to work just 3 days after my interview.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Was placed in an interview with 14 other people and two hiring managers during the seasonal hiring. During the time, everyone needed to answer questions individually in front of everyone. Was a bit intimidating, but the questions were pretty standard and easy.

Interview Questions

• Picking out a clothing combination and trying to sell it to a group of 15 people.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tilly's (Tucson, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

I brought my application in on a Monday and was invited to an interview on Friday. There were 8 people. 3 boys and 5 girls. Ages ranging from 16-21. The assistant manager, and the in store visual merchandiser were the ones asking the questions. Very friendly and made me feel really relaxed. Shared a lot of funny stories and were very open. Would always answer the question themselves too. Very important tip is to always show initiative and be one of the firsts to raise your hand. Smile and look confident.