Time

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.7

Senior Front End Developer Interview

I exchanged questions with the team lead. I didn't hesitate to press the tough issues on innovation / lack thereof at Time, but was careful not to be too critical or patronizing.

The picture he painted of being a developer at Time was worse than I thought; dinosaur, hackjob, fragmented, inconsistent, house of cards held-together-by-bandaids kind of code base with a back end Frankenstein mix of Wordpress and Vingette 6, which I couldn't even find a release date for but was AT LEAST 10 years old.

I knew I was 100 % done with considering this place about halfway through, and then he asked me more questions along the lines of "Can you deal with / work around such a big, messy system, are you comfortable doing hack job workarounds because you have no other option."

I ran quickly in the other direction.

Interview Questions
    • Can you deal with / work around such a big, messy system; are you comfortable doing hack job workarounds because you have no other option?   Answer Question

Archaic technology stack.

Ad Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Time in October 2013.

Initial application process tedious--resume sent to an online database in HOPES yours is seen. Follow up and scheduling very professional, met with the two managers as well as the current assistant to get a good idea of the day to day activity

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part of the interview was getting a full grasp of the expectations. They sold the position as an Advertising Sales position, however I was quick to learn that you are an Assistant doing administrative work and little-no involvement in the Advertising side of the magazine.   Answer Question

Low compensation, wasn't looking for an Administration job

Editorial Fellowship Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Time.

The interview process was much different from those I've encountered before. You don't talk to an actual person; rather, you use a virtual screening program called Take the Interview, which records your responses and forwards them to the Hiring Manager. It took about a month to get through everything from start to finish, but they were prompt about getting in touch with you.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were pretty standard, e.g. "Why are you the best candidate?" etc.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I had a wonderful interview at Time Inc. for the Account Manager role. I already had experience going into the interview and was able to speak to the core responsibilities well. There were no trick questions, simply speaking to my strengths, weaknesses, examples where I've had to be strategic, and examples where I've struggled.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your biggest challenge at your current job?   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Time.

I cannot stress enough how horrible the overall interview process was and I cannot recommend strongly enough that people avoid interviewing with Time Inc.

In short, I was brought in on five separate occasions and did not receive an offer. The first thing in the process that was very odd was that there was no standard phone screen - I was brought in to essentially do the screen in person with HR. Strange (and, quite frankly, not the most respectful of my time), but it was the normal 20-30 minute chat.

The next two times I came in were standard behavioral interviews and were quite pleasant - the people were nice and easy to talk to. After having come in a total of three times, I was asked to come in again for an "Excel skills test" - not an unusual request in and of itself, but a fourth separate visit? Again, not the most respectful of my time (you know, people tend to notice when you disappear from the office for an hour or two in the middle of the day... four times), but I really liked the team and thought the job sounded interesting, so I scheduled my test. That had to be it, right? Wrong.

I was told that before anything was finalized, they wanted me to come in and meet with a few very senior people in the finance department. That's right, a fifth visit, in which I spent 30-45 minutes each with three people who clearly did not need to be meeting with someone interviewing for a role four or five levels below them. A few days later, HR asked for my references. So, I had been in five separate times, had my technical skill and references checked, I *had* to be getting an offer, right??? Again, wrong.

About a week later, HR called with the "thanks, but no thanks" call. I was in shock. Apparently, there has been another candidate who they had also put through five rounds of interviews who worked for a competitor, and they had given them the offer. So, essentially, I had been the also-ran the entire time. I get it, things happen, other people are more qualified, but the professional thing to do would have clearly been to put me on hold after the second round or so, given that I was no longer a serious contender at that point (unless the other person declined the offer). The worst thing was not the complete waste of time and weeks of wondering whether I would get the job - it was the fact that my references were asked for and checked, and the fact that HR acted as if this was completely normal behavior. In my opinion, checking references as anything other than an absolute last step to firm up an offer is completely unethical. I was humiliated when these people checked in about my "job offer" (the exact same people I gave as references again a month later for my now-employer, lest you start to think that a bad reference was the issue) - they, like myself and everyone else I spoke with, had never heard of someone not getting an offer after (positive) references were checked.

Again, the actual interviews were fine, very normal, but I was horrified by the completely unprofessional and disrespectful process.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly unexpected questions during the behavioral interview; skills test was extremely reasonable for the level.   Answer Question

Editorial Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Time.

First and second interview. First was with HR and then second interview was interesting format. There was quite a bit of time between first and second interview. The first interview was very short which had me worried but I did get a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at time? What are your favorite Time Inc. Magazines?   View Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Time in April 2013.

An HR recruiter reached out to me to set up an in person interview with her and 2 other marketing managers the next week. When I arrived at the building and met with the recruiter, she wouldn't shake my hand and was not friendly.

Nevertheless, we went to an empty conference room to discuss my resume and skills and requirements. She laughed at me when I made my salary request, which was in a lateral ballpark to my current salary, pretty rude. She asked why I thought it'd be reasonable for that range and after discussion I got the idea the conversation was going downhill.

I then took an Excel skills test which took about 25 minutes of the alloted 40. The recruiter told me to go to the receptionists desk when I completed the exam for the next steps. The receptionist told me I was done with my interview. When I mentioned I was set up to be meeting with two other managers, the receptionist said "nah, I don't believe you are" and walked away. Did not show me the door, nothing. I showed myself out and left.

I'm not in the HR field but I had never felt more disrespected as a candidate than in that interview and their HR department showed poor taste in how they treat potential hires. It's a shame how one person can pave the reputation of how Time Inc. operates. As the face of Time Inc in the beginning stages of an interview process, both the recruiter and receptionist should feel embarrassed and ashamed of herself for poorly representing the company.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Time in April 2013.

Over the phone interview, then a video conference and in person interviews. Basic questions on skills, experiences and career aspirations.

Consumer Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Time.

Started with an informational/behavioral interview with a Hiring Manager. Once we solidified my areas of interest, I set up 3 separate interviews with members of the team I would work for. After 1 week of interviews I got the offer. There was also some retention rate math.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about my experience with their products and what I would change about them   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Director Interview

Initial interviews and additional rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Explain in detail a difficult problem and how the problem was tackled?   Answer Question