Time

2.7

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Web Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Time.

Two interviews - one with the editor in chief and the a second with the executive editor and managing editor together. At that time, I also met with the woman whose job I would be taking.

Interview Questions
    • How would you organize the producing process of the new feature being created?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The offer was given over the phone and I was told there was no room for negotiation.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Time in September 2014.

Had to complete an online interview session with six questions. The questions can be re-recorded once so don't worry if you don't get it right the first time round as you get to do it again.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time in your life when you had to prioritize something and how did you choose?   Answer Question

Freelance Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person – interviewed at Time.

Had a phone interview with the director. I was quizzes on my interest and background working with other magazines and in PR. Came in to do a treat trial and the rest has been history. I've learned a lot, since then.

Ad Ops Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Time.

I got called for an interview with HR. Met with HR first and they then sent me to hiring managers. I met with the Manager and then I met with an assistant manager. I got called the next day with an offer.

There was none.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Time in June 2014.

Applied online and had an initial phone screen a few days later, getting more information about why I want to work at Time Inc. and in HR etc. Then had an in-person interview the next week. Simple behavioral questions from hiring managers.

Product Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Time.

Probably one of the most frustrating and unprofessional interview processes have ever been involved with, mostly due to the duration and lack of communication on Time, inc's behalf. Basically, I saw the job posted on their company site 7 months ago and I applied. After 3 months, I received no response, but I saw it posted still and I recalled a HR contact that I had who had recruited me for a job that did not work out, so I emailed him/her and asked if he/she was recruiting for it and/or could make an intro on my behalf. 2 months after that I got an email back from my contact who ended up being the recruiting HR person after all, and they asked me to interview. I met with 4 managers in 3 separate meetings/interviews over a 3 week span that seemed to go well, and then a week later I was asked in for a 4th time in what was described to me as a "meet and greet and not an interview" with the team I'd be managing. After that meeting went well, I thought I was in, but I did not hear anything regarding timing. After sending several emails and making calls to the HR contact and the hiring manager over the next week, I did hear back and was told an "internal referral" was intro'd to the interview process late in the game, and they wanted to interview that person over the next week or 2, but I was still the "leading candidate" and that they'd get back to me. Needless to say I did not follow up during that time and they did not get back to me, so another job I was interviewing for at a diff't co came through with an offer. And when I reached out to Time to confirm I was not in consideration before I accepted the other offer, I did not hear back that day as requested and I still have not heard back yet - which was 4 days ago (at the time of this review). So I accepted the other offer. And that's Time, Inc's loss.

Interview Questions
    • Situational question, how previous job related to this one.   Answer Question

Research & Insights Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Time.

Was supposed to have an phone interview with HR but ended up using a weird service called Take The Interview
    Moved on to second round with managers... all FIT as well

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Time in March 2014.

Applied over email, which took 2 weeks

Digital Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Time in January 2014.

I applied online and was e-mailed within 24 hours asking to schedule an interview. I thought my interview went exceptionally well and it seemed as if I would be moving on in the process. I did not hear back for about three weeks and sent a follow up e-mail on the third week. I was told they selected another candidate. What a bummer, since I thought my interview went very well.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Time.

I cannot stress enough how horrible the overall interview process was and I cannot recommend strongly enough that people avoid interviewing with Time Inc.

In short, I was brought in on five separate occasions and did not receive an offer. The first thing in the process that was very odd was that there was no standard phone screen - I was brought in to essentially do the screen in person with HR. Strange (and, quite frankly, not the most respectful of my time), but it was the normal 20-30 minute chat.

The next two times I came in were standard behavioral interviews and were quite pleasant - the people were nice and easy to talk to. After having come in a total of three times, I was asked to come in again for an "Excel skills test" - not an unusual request in and of itself, but a fourth separate visit? Again, not the most respectful of my time (you know, people tend to notice when you disappear from the office for an hour or two in the middle of the day... four times), but I really liked the team and thought the job sounded interesting, so I scheduled my test. That had to be it, right? Wrong.

I was told that before anything was finalized, they wanted me to come in and meet with a few very senior people in the finance department. That's right, a fifth visit, in which I spent 30-45 minutes each with three people who clearly did not need to be meeting with someone interviewing for a role four or five levels below them. A few days later, HR asked for my references. So, I had been in five separate times, had my technical skill and references checked, I *had* to be getting an offer, right??? Again, wrong.

About a week later, HR called with the "thanks, but no thanks" call. I was in shock. Apparently, there has been another candidate who they had also put through five rounds of interviews who worked for a competitor, and they had given them the offer. So, essentially, I had been the also-ran the entire time. I get it, things happen, other people are more qualified, but the professional thing to do would have clearly been to put me on hold after the second round or so, given that I was no longer a serious contender at that point (unless the other person declined the offer). The worst thing was not the complete waste of time and weeks of wondering whether I would get the job - it was the fact that my references were asked for and checked, and the fact that HR acted as if this was completely normal behavior. In my opinion, checking references as anything other than an absolute last step to firm up an offer is completely unethical. I was humiliated when these people checked in about my "job offer" (the exact same people I gave as references again a month later for my now-employer, lest you start to think that a bad reference was the issue) - they, like myself and everyone else I spoke with, had never heard of someone not getting an offer after (positive) references were checked.

Again, the actual interviews were fine, very normal, but I was horrified by the completely unprofessional and disrespectful process.

Interview Questions
    • No particularly unexpected questions during the behavioral interview; skills test was extremely reasonable for the level.   Answer Question