Timken Interview Questions

Updated Sep 27, 2014

2.8

Supplier Quality Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Timken in June 2008.

Applied through their job board

SBA - Steel Business Associate Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Timken in October 2010.

Timken treats you well. Hotel, flight, food, etc is all done for you. Thursday night had a social to meet and greet Timken employees. Mostly people trying to make an impression on people who might be interviewing you. Interview consisted of 2 1:1 and 1 panel. First 1:1 was good. Interviewer was nice and engaged. Second Interviewer was terrible. Sarcastic, didn't really lead the interview, didn't really answer any of my questions, simply one word answers. Panel interview was ok. By then, pretty burnt out. Two members of the panel were good, last guy seemed disinterested, apathetic. Questions focused on relevant experience, course work, etc. Didn't ask too many behavioral questions. Finished with a plant tour and a tour of their technology facility.

Overall, good experience. Interview process was difficult only because the two interviewers mentioned seemed disinterested, condescending, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when a group member was not pulling his/her weight. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • What relevant experiences do you have in process improvement?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Timken in November 2010.

Night before featured a dinner meet and greet. Following day consisted of two one on one interviews and one four person panel interview with generic questions. Followed by a Plant Tour. Overalll a good experience but seem to prefer people from the area.

Interview Questions
    • What was a leadership position held where motivation was need to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question

Operations & Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Timken in November 2011.

First round interview was 1:1 with an HR representative with behavioral questions.
    Final round consisted of 3, 1:1 interviews with Timken employees that are spread throughout different divisions as well as the head of the OLDP Process. A panel interview as well as a case study/presentation was also conducted.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is your biggest flaw and how has it affected a project?   Answer Question

Program Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Timken in August 2008.

The hiring process is initiated by HR reprentative by informing the candidate about getting shortlisted for job position and confirming the date of interview. Interview process may be divided in two or three phases depending on job position. There will be Technical, HR and Manager rounds which can happen in a single/multiple day. Technical rounds are very important. Depending on the performance in this round the candidate will be called for other rounds. In Techical round candidate should try to be as precise as possible.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work with a manager who can be very demanding?   Answer Question

Program Member - SAP Basis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Timken in November 2009.

When any technical questions are asked please answer to the point and don't go on beating around the bush.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate if only if required.

Materials Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Timken.

It was the typical behavioral interview.

Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Timken in November 2008.

It was a behavioral interview, with a focus on answers to hypothetical questions. There were four or five other individuals taking turns with the questions. As most behavioral interviews go, the questions were generally pointless. I made it a point to make eye contact, and to address all the individuals with my answers, not just the questioner. This was a very successful approach for me.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were faced with adversity in the workplace and how did you correct it?   Answer Question
    No real negotiations took place.

Operations Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Timken in January 2012.

My experience with timken is, I would like to address the word "astonishing". It is not until you read my whole story will you realize why I use such word to describe my experience with Timken.

I received a phone call from HR scheduling a phone screening, like most companies. And I passed that phone interview easily. Actually I got the on-site invitation the second day after the phone interview.

The on-site visit experience is good overall. They invited you to a local restaurant for food the night before interview, some casual chatting is involved, which is nice. They also take care of your hotel and travel expense. The on-site interview consists of 3 1:1 interviews, 1 panel interview, a presentation and a plant-tour(which is irrelevant to interview process actually). I did horrible during the first round 1:1 interview as I was nervous, but I did well during the following events except for the presentation, which is sort of pain-taking because of the excessive materials. The plant tour is not that nice, because I actually have no interest in the manufacturing plants. After everything, they promised to get back to me within 1 week.

It is not until 2 weeks before I got a phone call indicating a positive response from HR, informing me that the Asia District Manager would like conducting a phone interview with me. During the phone interview, I did well, and the Indian Manager PROMISED to extend me a verbal offer, which thrills me.

BUT, 4 days later after the last step, I received an email from a auto-system address rejecting me for this opportunity. I got very confused because a verbal offer is already extended during the phone interview so I have no idea what is happening.

Maybe Timken just found some other good candidates after me? But anyway, this name now disgusts me and I feel like I am cheated about this after what I have been doing...

God makes me leave Timken, he must got his own reasons :) Hope this helps, to future candidates !

Interview Questions
    • Why choose Timken? Why do you wanna go back to China   View Answer

Manager Business Economics & Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Altavista, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altavista, VA

I applied through other source. The process took a year or more - interviewed at Timken.

All applications handled through the Virginia Employment Commission. Testing was difficult but realistic. Interview was with a team of associates and managers and was quite extensive.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about conflict resolution between two associates. How would I handle it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase.

Worked for Timken? Contribute to the Community!