Timken Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.8

Customer Service Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Timken.

Phone Interview

Materials Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Timken.

It was the typical behavioral interview.

Manufacturing Operation Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Timken in March 2013.

I applied online. The very next day I was contacted by an HR rep to set up a phone interview time. I had the first phone interview and at the end was asked to set up another phone interview with the person who would be my boss. I had that interview 2 days later. A few hours after the interview I was called by the original HR rep and set up a third phone interview with another person in management. I had that interview the very next day. Again, a few hours after the interview I was contacted by the HR rep with a job offer.

3 Phone Interviews

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Timken?
      What do you know about the position?
      What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Tell my about a leadership position you have been in.
      Tell me about how you would deal with a 'slacker' in a group you have worked in.
      Tell me what you do outside of school.
      Tell me why you decided to pursue engineering in school.
        Answer Question
    I was given the offer with all the details over the phone. Then I received an email with all the same things in writing. I was given a week to decide.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Keene, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keene, NH

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Timken in March 2012.

Sent my resume through a university website. Got a call from HR to set up a phone interview for the next day. Had one half hour preliminary interview with her and said she would let me know in 2-3 weeks if I got a second interview with a hiring manager. Got the call two days later and set up an interview for the next week. Another quick 20 minute interview with the hiring manager and got an offer two days later. Interview with HR was more difficult than the hiring manager, HR asked more behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the company?
      Future goals?
      When was a time that you worked in a group where one member wasn't participating as much, what did you do?
        Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Timken.

Interview was very standard. Applied through my school's career site and got a call a few weeks later asking to schedule an interview. They were the basic interview questions:

What do you know about the company?
    Name a time when....
    Why should we hire you?

I got hired on the spot and started after my drug and alcohol and background screening.

Interview Questions
    • What skills do you have that are relevant to the position you are applying?   View Answer
    No negotiation, standard intern rate of pay.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Timken in February 2011.

First was interviewed quickly by a recruiter at a table during a career fair, if you have a good enough elevator pitch they'll give you the next interview with barely looking at your resume. Then the college recruiter interviews you at your school's career center. The process after that takes a bit longer here. If they like you you'll interview with a hiring manager and get placed in their department if they like you.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Timken? (this was my first internship so I didn't know what to expect but ALWAYS do research about the company before you interview)   Answer Question
    No negotiation but as a PR/communications intern, $16 is really good.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Timken in April 2010.

They use a set of canned questions and a panel grades you on your response. Like "tell me about a time when you made a mistake at your previous employer, what did you do to fix it?", or "tell me about a time when you disagreed with a coworker, what steps did you take to get them to leave you alone?". The BEST scores are generally for presenting your answer in a logical way. Presentation can weigh more than content. They are more impressed with your speaking skills than your actual answers.
    The average worker is a 50+ white male, born within 20 miles of Canton Ohio, willing to work 50 hours a week forever (theres not much to do in Canton anyway).
    This company has WAAAAY too many meetings. I probably averaged 24 hours of meetings per week, including some 8 hour staight ones. Upper management has nothing to do all day, so they schedule meetings to look like they are busy.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about something you did that was wrong, and then how did you fix it?   View Answer
    No negotiation was allowed.

Operations Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Timken in January 2012.

My experience with timken is, I would like to address the word "astonishing". It is not until you read my whole story will you realize why I use such word to describe my experience with Timken.

I received a phone call from HR scheduling a phone screening, like most companies. And I passed that phone interview easily. Actually I got the on-site invitation the second day after the phone interview.

The on-site visit experience is good overall. They invited you to a local restaurant for food the night before interview, some casual chatting is involved, which is nice. They also take care of your hotel and travel expense. The on-site interview consists of 3 1:1 interviews, 1 panel interview, a presentation and a plant-tour(which is irrelevant to interview process actually). I did horrible during the first round 1:1 interview as I was nervous, but I did well during the following events except for the presentation, which is sort of pain-taking because of the excessive materials. The plant tour is not that nice, because I actually have no interest in the manufacturing plants. After everything, they promised to get back to me within 1 week.

It is not until 2 weeks before I got a phone call indicating a positive response from HR, informing me that the Asia District Manager would like conducting a phone interview with me. During the phone interview, I did well, and the Indian Manager PROMISED to extend me a verbal offer, which thrills me.

BUT, 4 days later after the last step, I received an email from a auto-system address rejecting me for this opportunity. I got very confused because a verbal offer is already extended during the phone interview so I have no idea what is happening.

Maybe Timken just found some other good candidates after me? But anyway, this name now disgusts me and I feel like I am cheated about this after what I have been doing...

God makes me leave Timken, he must got his own reasons :) Hope this helps, to future candidates !

Interview Questions
    • Why choose Timken? Why do you wanna go back to China   View Answer

Operations & Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Timken in November 2011.

First round interview was 1:1 with an HR representative with behavioral questions.
    Final round consisted of 3, 1:1 interviews with Timken employees that are spread throughout different divisions as well as the head of the OLDP Process. A panel interview as well as a case study/presentation was also conducted.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is your biggest flaw and how has it affected a project?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Timken in November 2010.

Night before featured a dinner meet and greet. Following day consisted of two one on one interviews and one four person panel interview with generic questions. Followed by a Plant Tour. Overalll a good experience but seem to prefer people from the area.

Interview Questions
    • What was a leadership position held where motivation was need to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question