TinyCo Interview Questions

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Tinyco HR contacted me via linkedin and asked me if i want an interview. I decided to give it a try because it's sort of boring in my current company. I worked in gaming industry many years. I was just curious about Tinyco kind of small startup.

I got two telephone interviews and one in-house interview. Interviews were very easy. Just simple questions about c++ and simple algorithm about array and linklist. You don't need to prepare complex algorithm for this company. Forget about tree/forest/graph/hash.

The reason I declined the offer is that I found people complained Tinyco about cloning games of other companies in Quora. Then i played the games of Tinyco. Yes, all their games are clones of other games. For example, the Tiny Monster is a clone of Dragonville, and not as good as Dragonville. As a veteran in gaming industry, I knew if you don't have creativity, you will die one day. Zynga is dying, and with bad reputation. I don't want to work in a company with bad reputation. As a result, I turned down the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Just simple questions about c++ and simple algorithm about array and linklist.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TinyCo in September 2012.

First round phone interview:
    - Walk through your resume and experience
    - Have you played TinyCo games. What do you think about them?
    - Are you a big gamer? What kind of game do you play?

Interview Questions
    • - Have you played TinyCo games. What do you think about them?   Answer Question

C++ Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TinyCo in August 2012.

Initially contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. Very long interview process...was 4 phone interviews and a take-home test, and I didn't even get an on-site interview. First a 30 minute phone call with the recruiter, then a take-home coding test that took me 2-3 hours. 3 technical phone interviews, an hour each, all were about the same difficulty. For this particular position they focus immensely on your knowledge of C++ (including STL and Boost); experience with social games, mobile games, or game programming in general is irrelevant.

I think this is my only interview with a game company in which they asked me nothing about games. Based on the questions, they don't want a game developer, they want a C++ robot.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview questions were: Various questions about using STL containers and algorithms, C++ theory questions (allocation of memory, references, exceptions, stack unraveling, copy constructors, operator overloading, etc.), Count the number of 0s in an integer, Fibonnacci number (both recursively and iteratively and O(x) of each), write a function that rounds a float to the nearest int.   Answer Question

Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TinyCo in July 2012.

I was referred to their recruiter, submitted resume and cover letter online, really long and difficult skills test, then a phone interview with game designer, then in-person interview with 4 different people in an afternoon (1 game designer, 1 content manager, 1 product manager, and 1 VP).

Although it seems like a fun working environment, I couldn't shake the feeling that product management people viewed their users like cash cows to be milked. The game designers I met were not like this at all, but the PM people did leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Several people in the interviews mentioned that it is a company that is very led by the product management side of things, and is very driven by a profit-minded focus. They mentioned they are trying to slowly change this and give game design more of a front seat in the decision-making for the company, but they are not there yet.

Seemed like a fun work environment, but in the end it was a bad match for me.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers got me to basically do an almost exact replica of the skills test, but on the whiteboard.   Answer Question
    • Why do people play games?   Answer Question
    • How would you measure whether content you had introduced to the game was successful? What metrics would you use?   Answer Question
    • What are your 5 favorite games?   Answer Question

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TinyCo in June 2012.

I was in remote location so they took :
    3 phone screening interviews-> Phone Screens are usually standard questions and the coding assignments on the phone were very basic. all they want to access is whether a person knows how to code or not.

On site Interview, One on one with senior software engineer. I was asked to write c++ code for a problem. Gave me two hours. I could nto finish programming the entire solution. After 2 hours the interviewer went through the unfinished code i had. He seemed ok with the code and asked me why i made certain design choices in the classes. for the part which i could not complete he asked me my approach.

That's it i was sent back. I dont know whether they had planned only one round or decided that its a waste of time continuing with the rest of the process.

Verdict:
    Expectations are high. If you are fast coder and knows c++ well this will be the place for you. The only problem i have wihtt he process is that there is very huge gap in difficulty level of phone interviews and onsite interview.

This is all my experience others can have different experiences.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TinyCo in May 2012.

A basic phone interview with HR at first.

Two technical interview over phone and web with increasing level of difficult. You have to solve the problems in the language of your choice.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate anything. They said the salary is fixed and not negotiable.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TinyCo in May 2012.

I was referred to TinyCo from a friend of a friend. I had a phone interview with the recruiter who spoke to me at length about the gaming industry (I was switching careers) and answered a lot of my questions. Later I had a phone interview which was then followed by a homework assignment. The flyout was a half day round of interviews. Half the time was spent at a coffee shop. While the interview was unstressful, it was very difficult. The people interviewing me knew their stuff and wanted to test the limits of my knowledge, but without trying to play games or using trick questions. I was impressed by the caliber of the people that interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • At one point we were discussing how medical research tracks patients over time. The moral of the story is that make sure you know what you are talking about and don't try to bs the interviewer. Even if they don't know the field, they are happy to discuss it in depth.   Answer Question

IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TinyCo in April 2012.

4 rounds of interview.
    Last was 1:1.
    Basic free to play concepts and designing (with core loop analysis, and questions regarding how to solve issues commonly seen in free to play games). Had 4 rounds of 1:1 interview as well.

Interview Questions
    • If there is excess of a currency, how would you drain it from the system without creating additional content on a regular basis.   Answer Question
    The experience was eye opening. So compromise only if you're still inexperienced in the industry. If you are an experienced player, then don't compromise.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at TinyCo in November 2011.

I submitted my application via Jobvite which included resume, cover letter, etc. I was first contacted via email by an internal recruiter about a phone interview. I believe the office manager sent me an email via Jobvite for confirmation.

I had a 30 minute phone interview with the manager of the two person community team. Following that, the recruiter emailed me asking how that interview went. I replied and the following day the recruiter emailed me back to schedule an in person interview. The office manager emailed me via Jobvite again to confirm and asked that I fill out an application.

I then interviewed with the community team manager, who was nice, but oddly more rigid that over the phone, other community manager, who was sweet and fun, and product manager (formerly a community manager) who came across as snobby and kept "correcting" my answers during parts of my interview.

After that, I talked to the recruiter and received an email confirmation to interview with the CEO of the company. He walked in with his computer and spent most of the time looking at the computer and asking me my opinion of what type of company TinyCo is.

The recruiter contacted me again asking for my salary history. I thought this would lead to a job offer. i THEN received an email from her about a Community Team assignment, which I didn't understand since I'd already gone through so many in person interviews - why would they need a writing sample now? One week after submitting the writing assignment, I received an email through Jobvite from the recruiter letting me know that I didn't get the job. I asked for feedback, but have not received it.

Generally, people seemed very nice in the interviews, but very guarded - particularly the men. The women I met were very friendly and bubbly. The office was quiet and pretty sterile. It seemed like they had everything they needed in the office, including some perks.

Interview Questions
    • If you walked in Monday morning with 200 emails about the same small problem, but there was also a large problem/bug, what would you do?   Answer Question

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at TinyCo in October 2011.

I was initially contacted for a phone screen by the HR team and was then asked to do a small iOS project, which wasn't too hard. The next step was a web coding interview, the engineer was quite nice, although I admit I didn't do quite well, he offered some hints and pointers, and still kept being nice.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to write a nested JSON representation in some programming language and was told how I could detect cycles when adding more items to it.   Answer Question