TinyCo Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2015

3.2

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TinyCo in March 2015.

Interview

The interview had three rounds. One initial phone screening where the recruiting manager will contact you and get to know you more, be prepared to discuss your recent project with her. After the phone screening she will review your resume with her boss and get back to you with another interview with the boss with a product development assignment. If they find you capable and fit their expectation, they will fly you to their office and conduct a face-to-face interview.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

2 Phone screens and an 5hr In-Person Interview (make sure you eat a lot before you go in because you will be hungry by the end) You will meet the CEO by then end of the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions about what data you would look at for mobile games. Questions about the potential impacts of features   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at TinyCo in October 2014.

Interview

Interview with HR member about background 2x Interview with engineering team about pointers and algorithms (shared code) Onsite interview with 4 members of engineering team (including Engineering Manager) Got the offer next day in the morning

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

First round phone interview: - Walk through your resume and experience - Have you played TinyCo games. What do you think about them? - Are you a big gamer? What kind of game do you play?

Interview Questions

• - Have you played TinyCo games. What do you think about them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

Tinyco HR contacted me via linkedin and asked me if i want an interview. I decided to give it a try because it's sort of boring in my current company. I worked in gaming industry many years. I was just curious about Tinyco kind of small startup. I got two telephone interviews and one in-house interview. Interviews were very easy. Just simple questions about c++ and simple algorithm about array and linklist. You don't need to prepare complex algorithm for this company. Forget about tree/forest/graph/hash. The reason I declined the offer is that I found people complained Tinyco about cloning games of other companies in Quora. Then i played the games of Tinyco. Yes, all their games are clones of other games. For example, the Tiny Monster is a clone of Dragonville, and not as good as Dragonville. As a veteran in gaming industry, I knew if you don't have creativity, you will die one day. Zynga is dying, and with bad reputation. I don't want to work in a company with bad reputation. As a result, I turned down the offer.

Interview Questions

• Just simple questions about c++ and simple algorithm about array and linklist.   Answer Question

C++ Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. Very long interview process...was 4 phone interviews and a take-home test, and I didn't even get an on-site interview. First a 30 minute phone call with the recruiter, then a take-home coding test that took me 2-3 hours. 3 technical phone interviews, an hour each, all were about the same difficulty. For this particular position they focus immensely on your knowledge of C++ (including STL and Boost); experience with social games, mobile games, or game programming in general is irrelevant. I think this is my only interview with a game company in which they asked me nothing about games. Based on the questions, they don't want a game developer, they want a C++ robot.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview questions were: Various questions about using STL containers and algorithms, C++ theory questions (allocation of memory, references, exceptions, stack unraveling, copy constructors, operator overloading, etc.), Count the number of 0s in an integer, Fibonnacci number (both recursively and iteratively and O(x) of each), write a function that rounds a float to the nearest int.   Answer Question

Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I was referred to their recruiter, submitted resume and cover letter online, really long and difficult skills test, then a phone interview with game designer, then in-person interview with 4 different people in an afternoon (1 game designer, 1 content manager, 1 product manager, and 1 VP). Although it seems like a fun working environment, I couldn't shake the feeling that product management people viewed their users like cash cows to be milked. The game designers I met were not like this at all, but the PM people did leave a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Several people in the interviews mentioned that it is a company that is very led by the product management side of things, and is very driven by a profit-minded focus. They mentioned they are trying to slowly change this and give game design more of a front seat in the decision-making for the company, but they are not there yet. Seemed like a fun work environment, but in the end it was a bad match for me.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers got me to basically do an almost exact replica of the skills test, but on the whiteboard.   Answer Question
    • Why do people play games?   Answer Question
    • How would you measure whether content you had introduced to the game was successful? What metrics would you use?   Answer Question
    • What are your 5 favorite games?   Answer Question

C++ Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I was in remote location so they took : 3 phone screening interviews-> Phone Screens are usually standard questions and the coding assignments on the phone were very basic. all they want to access is whether a person knows how to code or not. On site Interview, One on one with senior software engineer. I was asked to write c++ code for a problem. Gave me two hours. I could nto finish programming the entire solution. After 2 hours the interviewer went through the unfinished code i had. He seemed ok with the code and asked me why i made certain design choices in the classes. for the part which i could not complete he asked me my approach. That's it i was sent back. I dont know whether they had planned only one round or decided that its a waste of time continuing with the rest of the process. Verdict: Expectations are high. If you are fast coder and knows c++ well this will be the place for you. The only problem i have wihtt he process is that there is very huge gap in difficulty level of phone interviews and onsite interview. This is all my experience others can have different experiences.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was referred to TinyCo from a friend of a friend. I had a phone interview with the recruiter who spoke to me at length about the gaming industry (I was switching careers) and answered a lot of my questions. Later I had a phone interview which was then followed by a homework assignment. The flyout was a half day round of interviews. Half the time was spent at a coffee shop. While the interview was unstressful, it was very difficult. The people interviewing me knew their stuff and wanted to test the limits of my knowledge, but without trying to play games or using trick questions. I was impressed by the caliber of the people that interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• At one point we were discussing how medical research tracks patients over time. The moral of the story is that make sure you know what you are talking about and don't try to bs the interviewer. Even if they don't know the field, they are happy to discuss it in depth.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

A basic phone interview with HR at first. Two technical interview over phone and web with increasing level of difficult. You have to solve the problems in the language of your choice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate anything. They said the salary is fixed and not negotiable.