Tom James Company Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2014
Updated Aug 14, 2014

3.2

Sales Professional Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Tom James Company.

My hiring process was via Skype since I lived on the east coast and the job position was located on the west coast. The man I spoke with was friendly, yet succinct. He asked many different question, usually about myself and my goals. We talked briefly about my experiences, as I was a new college graduate at the time. The interview lasted almost two hours.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness? This is always a hard question to answer since you have to give someone a negative quality about yourself that you hope won't be detrimental to your job position or character.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation by me, since they offered an exceptional salary for someone just starting out in their career--just be forewarned: the salary is on a declining pay scale, meaning your base pay will eventually go away and you will be strictly commissions-only.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tom James Company in July 2014.

Screening phone call, personality test, then on-site follow day/interview. The follow day went from 7:30am to 6:30pm, so be ready invest some time. You will be seeing how the sales are actually made (if lucky), and how the company operates in general.

Other opportunities

Professional Clothier Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Tom James Company in November 2012.

Initial interview with a sales leader. Next interview with a district sales leader. Final interview with a regional Sales leader

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself exactly in 5 years?   View Answer
    I filled out a budget sheet and told them what I needed monthly. They discuss it with you and go from there. Unless you have extreme leverage it will being with the normal start base of 3000 which will decrease each month.

Outside Sales Representative/Sales Trainer/Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Tom James Company.

Laid back but they are searching for people who want to be in sales and only sales

Sales Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tom James Company in January 2010.

Several field rides in various cities to connect with the local representatives. The interview goes both ways and they are very candid with candidates. Realistic expectations are given throughout the process. Candidates get to meet everyone in the office and see how each person works as well as attend office morning training meetings.

Interview Questions
    • Working in the field with a sales leader meant seeing real clients face to face. It can be intimidating to not wear a custom suit and shirt the first time.   Answer Question
    Become very familiar with the compensation structure--this is very important to understanding how to achieve the type of lifestyle you want. Too many people don't understand this, yet it's crucial.

phone/skype interview
    personality test
    follow people in the field for 1-3 days--->be ready to experience an actual day working at Tom James. You will go from appt to appt seeing old and new clients. Much more informal of an interview compared to the typical sit at a desk and answer questions

Interview Questions
    • no typical intereview questions; much more conversational   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Tom James Company in December 2011.

The hiring process is mainly shadowing someone for 2 days, you'll be interviewed by the office manager and whoever is interested in hiring a direct. Also for anyone who doesn't live in NYC but thinking of moving there, you'll be asked why New York?

Interview Questions
    • You may be put on the spot in an appointment while shadowing, by either the salesperson or client. Be prepared for this situation to show that you've been attentive and listening.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Tom James Company in September 2012.

Interview process began with a phone call from headquarters. Basically a screening call with your basic interview questions. Values, Skills, Weakness, Strengths. Nothing regarding any sales scenarios which is surprising, but maybe I was just lucky. They will then send you a detailed application, ask you to fill it out and then I was asked to come into the local office. The application forms were basic about education, grades, previous work experience. I was told to block of the entire day. They first start with a one on one interview which I thought was very simple and typical. If all goes well you will be asked to go out and visit clients with a sales representative. This was a great opportunity to see what your day would entail. I enjoyed myself, but decided not to go on with the application process as I dont feel I am well equipped in the fashion department. I dont have the eye for that. But if you like to dress well and look great and know what that entails, then maybe this is an opportunity for you.

Professional Clothier Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tom James Company.

Most, if not all candidates are brought in through college sales program. There's typically a phone screen/skype interview before getting asked to come into the office. If you're offered to come into one of the local offices, you spend a day or two following the sales people and you really get to see them in action. This allows you to have a real glimpse of what an actual day is like in their shoes. At the end of your follow days you'll sit down at some point with a hiring manager for the formal interview.

Interview Questions
    • Most will be business cased questions: "tell me about a time when you had a goal and what you did to acheieve it?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Tom James Company in February 2011.

Met a representative through college. Set up an interview with the recruiter. met with them a few days later. Interview was straight forward. Asked a lot about what you knew about the company.

Interview Questions

Worked for Tom James Company? Contribute to the Community!