Tom James Company

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tom James Company in July 2014.

Interview Details – Screening phone call, personality test, then on-site follow day/interview. The follow day went from 7:30am to 6:30pm, so be ready invest some time. You will be seeing how the sales are actually made (if lucky), and how the company operates in general.

Interview Question – Rate this opportunity on a scale of one to ten.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Other opportunities

Professional Clothier

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Tom James Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Initial interview with a sales leader. Next interview with a district sales leader. Final interview with a regional Sales leader

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself exactly in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I filled out a budget sheet and told them what I needed monthly. They discuss it with you and go from there. Unless you have extreme leverage it will being with the normal start base of 3000 which will decrease each month.

Outside Sales Representative/Sales Trainer/Recruiter Interview

Outside Sales Representative/Sales Trainer/Recruiter
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Tom James Company.

Interview Details – Laid back but they are searching for people who want to be in sales and only sales

Interview Question – Why Tom James   Answer Question

Sales Professional Interview

Sales Professional
Tulsa, OK

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tom James Company in January 2010.

Interview Details – Several field rides in various cities to connect with the local representatives. The interview goes both ways and they are very candid with candidates. Realistic expectations are given throughout the process. Candidates get to meet everyone in the office and see how each person works as well as attend office morning training meetings.

Interview Question – Working in the field with a sales leader meant seeing real clients face to face. It can be intimidating to not wear a custom suit and shirt the first time.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Become very familiar with the compensation structure--this is very important to understanding how to achieve the type of lifestyle you want. Too many people don't understand this, yet it's crucial.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Tom James Company in December 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process is mainly shadowing someone for 2 days, you'll be interviewed by the office manager and whoever is interested in hiring a direct. Also for anyone who doesn't live in NYC but thinking of moving there, you'll be asked why New York?

Interview Question – You may be put on the spot in an appointment while shadowing, by either the salesperson or client. Be prepared for this situation to show that you've been attentive and listening.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Tom James Company

Interview Details – phone/skype interview
personality test
follow people in the field for 1-3 days--->be ready to experience an actual day working at Tom James. You will go from appt to appt seeing old and new clients. Much more informal of an interview compared to the typical sit at a desk and answer questions

Interview Question – no typical intereview questions; much more conversational   Answer Question

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Tom James Company in September 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process began with a phone call from headquarters. Basically a screening call with your basic interview questions. Values, Skills, Weakness, Strengths. Nothing regarding any sales scenarios which is surprising, but maybe I was just lucky. They will then send you a detailed application, ask you to fill it out and then I was asked to come into the local office. The application forms were basic about education, grades, previous work experience. I was told to block of the entire day. They first start with a one on one interview which I thought was very simple and typical. If all goes well you will be asked to go out and visit clients with a sales representative. This was a great opportunity to see what your day would entail. I enjoyed myself, but decided not to go on with the application process as I dont feel I am well equipped in the fashion department. I dont have the eye for that. But if you like to dress well and look great and know what that entails, then maybe this is an opportunity for you.

Interview Question – Just a long day.   Answer Question

Professional Clothier

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tom James Company.

Interview Details – Most, if not all candidates are brought in through college sales program. There's typically a phone screen/skype interview before getting asked to come into the office. If you're offered to come into one of the local offices, you spend a day or two following the sales people and you really get to see them in action. This allows you to have a real glimpse of what an actual day is like in their shoes. At the end of your follow days you'll sit down at some point with a hiring manager for the formal interview.

Interview Question – Most will be business cased questions: "tell me about a time when you had a goal and what you did to acheieve it?"   Answer Question

Toledo, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Tom James Company in February 2011.

Interview Details – Met a representative through college. Set up an interview with the recruiter. met with them a few days later. Interview was straight forward. Asked a lot about what you knew about the company.

Interview Question – What does are mission statement mean to you?   Answer Question

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Tom James Company.

Interview Details – Not really any "interview" process other than they "sell you" on how hard it is to get a job but basically everyone gets hired as long as you don't have a criminal record.

Interview Question – They just say questions as a formality- you can get a job there if you want, just as long as you're not a convicted felon.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They tell you what it is. Oh, and they make you buy their clothing when you start. That's right, they don't give it to you, you buy it.

Worked for Tom James Company? Contribute to the Community!