Tom Thumb

Relevance Date Difficulty

General Manager Interview

General Manager
Arlington, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Tom Thumb in May 2013.

Interview Details – Very laid back, friendly, and fast paced- Which was quite interesting since I just got out of high school. Most of the people seemed strangely happy as well, which also was strangely throwing me off.

Wine Steward Interview

Wine Steward
Richardson, TX

I applied through other source - interviewed at Tom Thumb in April 2011.

Interview Details – Q and A about wine knowledge and running a department.

Interview Question – Can you live with a job that tops out at your current salary?   View Answer

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at Tom Thumb in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted several online applications to several stores in the area, but had to walk in and ask about it a couple weeks later. After asking about possibly working there, hiring manager asked for me to come in 2 days later for an interview.

The interview was pretty laid back (1 on 1 interview):
- "Tell me about yourself."
- My past work experience as a cashier for another store, what I liked/disliked about it.
- "Can you deal with grumpy people?"
- My availability

Then I did a personality assessment, and another test with a time limit that tests your ability to follow directions, give change, your attention to detail, etc. You can get 1 of 2 possible end results: eligible or ineligible for hire.

Then she administered a drug test on the spot.

Had a lot of technical problems with their hiring system for some reason. Had to wait a couple days for it to get fixed, before moving on to training.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. She just let me know what the pay was.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cake Decorator Interview

Cake Decorator

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Tom Thumb.

Interview Details – Complete an online application, which can be done inside the stores for those who do not have access. If your application is picked then you would have a very brief phone interview with their hiring manager. From there depending on the position applying for you would either interview with the store manager or other management.

Interview Question – None, very basic questions. Why us, do you know anyone who works for the company, why you left previous job, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is advisable, this is retail and they want to get the best deal they can. Ask a little high, cause they will counter with a lower amount.

Cashier/Front End Interview

Cashier/Front End
Arlington, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Tom Thumb in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online then went by the store I wanted to work at and spoke to the manager. They were in need of help right away so they asked me to write down my availability. They called within a day and had me come in and interview. I started training within a day or two and started working immediately upon completion of training. Training consists of watching information on a computer and then taking tests. You then start working the front end under a senior person and you quickly learn all the produce codes, how to do coupons, correct errors, call for help, request price checks, call for help from different departments, etc.

Interview Question – It was a typical interview with no hard or unexpected questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Tom Thumb in April 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview, face to face interview with front end manager, interview with assistant store director or store director

Interview Question – selling suggestions. Name three things someone would buy with a birthday cake. person doing online hiring process has another job in the store and is constantly pulled away.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotion. they hire at minimum wage

Head Cashier Interview

Head Cashier
Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tom Thumb in June 2012.

Interview Details – Be sure to call a few times but only after submitting your application, it makes things easier for them. They will not respond if you just apply and do nothing else.

Interview Question – If two customers were fighting over the last unit of a good, how would you approach the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hired as a Cashier and promoted within the first 5 months

Assistant Vice President Senior Interview

Assistant Vice President Senior
Dallas, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Tom Thumb in June 2012.

Interview Details – interview

Interview Question – what are your strengths?   Answer Question

Coppell, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Tom Thumb in August 2011.

Interview Details – It is an interview for retail, basic questions and a quick drug test.

Interview Question – All questions are easy.   Answer Question

Irving, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Tom Thumb in June 2011.

Interview Details – walked in the door, asked for a job, and manager sat down with you, asking you questions and related experience, after a few days, manager called back and gave decision, however, personal information must be put in system to start work, waited for 1 month until the system is fixed

Worked for Tom Thumb? Contribute to the Community!