Tom Thumb

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

1.7

Cashier Interview

I applied in person. The process took three weeks. The interview was very easy, mostly just asking about my past experience working in retail. The manager was very nice and I got a tour of the premises. I even got some free water to drink. The interview took about thirty minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tom Thumb in November 2014.

I filled out an application online and they emailed me about a week and a half for a prescreening on the phone. The woman was polite and asked basic questions like a time you helped someone, like a friend or teammate, out. I was later called for an interview on the store and asked pretty much the same questions asked no the prescreening. It was pretty easy, and somtimes I felt I could go on and on, but she was fine with the first sentence of all my answers if it contained what they were looking for( an answer about how I resolved a confrontation, for example, didnt need to be elaborated upon).
    The recruiter kept writing, barely making eye contact like a lot of interview, but was polite. She then said it was strictly minimum wage and that they only gave raises each 6 months upon evaluation. She also emphasized they need someone reliable, and told me they were unhappy students like me would change their availability up someone after 2 or 3 months. This made me a bit concerned since to me 3 months are enough time for one's life to change, so one can become unavailable on certain days.
    She also loved that I put I was available at opening hours(6:00am) and seemed like she wanted me to be available until 1 am!

That same day I did their math test for cashiers, which she said no one fails ever.
    She told me I needed 2 govt issued IDs, but I only had one so we agreed on training and having my background check the next day so I could be hired right away. She did say the training is paid after. I wasnt entirely convinced so I called the next day to decline the offer.

Interview Questions
    • It would've been my first job there, so I had no experience elsewhere. The store recruiter asked if I had previously helped any customer, which she said then anyone on any other store while shopping in my case. This led to a somewhat awkward and vague response of me saying I had helped someone on Target specifically(cause she asked where!) help find a product if I was familiar with it.
      It shouldnt really be difficult for anyone who had another job.

They also ask about what a customer could buy along with a birthday cake.

View Answer

Overall it was fine, but didn't seem like the best choice to be a cashier at, since other places hire for more.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tom Thumb in January 2014.

Submitted several online applications to several stores in the area, but had to walk in and ask about it a couple weeks later. After asking about possibly working there, hiring manager asked for me to come in 2 days later for an interview.

The interview was pretty laid back (1 on 1 interview):
    - "Tell me about yourself."
    - My past work experience as a cashier for another store, what I liked/disliked about it.
    - "Can you deal with grumpy people?"
    - My availability

Then I did a personality assessment, and another test with a time limit that tests your ability to follow directions, give change, your attention to detail, etc. You can get 1 of 2 possible end results: eligible or ineligible for hire.

Then she administered a drug test on the spot.

Had a lot of technical problems with their hiring system for some reason. Had to wait a couple days for it to get fixed, before moving on to training.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. She just let me know what the pay was.

Cake Decorator Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tom Thumb.

Complete an online application, which can be done inside the stores for those who do not have access. If your application is picked then you would have a very brief phone interview with their hiring manager. From there depending on the position applying for you would either interview with the store manager or other management.

Interview Questions
    • None, very basic questions. Why us, do you know anyone who works for the company, why you left previous job, etc.   View Answer
    Negotiation is advisable, this is retail and they want to get the best deal they can. Ask a little high, cause they will counter with a lower amount.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tom Thumb in May 2013.

Very laid back, friendly, and fast paced- Which was quite interesting since I just got out of high school. Most of the people seemed strangely happy as well, which also was strangely throwing me off.

Cashier/Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tom Thumb in May 2013.

Applied online then went by the store I wanted to work at and spoke to the manager. They were in need of help right away so they asked me to write down my availability. They called within a day and had me come in and interview. I started training within a day or two and started working immediately upon completion of training. Training consists of watching information on a computer and then taking tests. You then start working the front end under a senior person and you quickly learn all the produce codes, how to do coupons, correct errors, call for help, request price checks, call for help from different departments, etc.

Interview Questions
    • It was a typical interview with no hard or unexpected questions   View Answer
    I did not negotiate.

Deli Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Tom Thumb.

2 interviews but this was 14 years ago. one with HR, one with store manager. Hired

Interview Questions
    offer was made and accepted

Assistant Vice President Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tom Thumb in June 2012.

interview

Head Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Tom Thumb in June 2012.

Be sure to call a few times but only after submitting your application, it makes things easier for them. They will not respond if you just apply and do nothing else.

Interview Questions
    • If two customers were fighting over the last unit of a good, how would you approach the situation?   Answer Question
    Hired as a Cashier and promoted within the first 5 months

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Tom Thumb in May 2012.

While I was being interviewed, the manager hiring me played on his phone. Halfway through me answering the question he cut me off and said okay call back and schedule a drug test then walked away. This should have been my first clue into the hell I would be in for.

Interview Questions
    • I was only asked one question, What is your personality?   Answer Question