Tom Thumb Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2015

1.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southlake, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Tom Thumb (Southlake, TX).

Interview

They ask you about 10 questions regarding your values. They want you to "tell a story when...". It is very easy. If needed, you can even make up stories. It doesn't even matter. They just want to know if you know what compromise is, what integrity is, if you help people, if you are nice, etc.

Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tom Thumb (Coppell, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was only about 5 minutes long and asked the same exact questions that were on my application. The lady said she'd call back the next day to bring me in to speak to the hiring manager and she never called. They could have at least called and let me know they were no longer interested. I thought that was very rude. Especially since they said they would call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tom Thumb (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online Got an email that they were having a open interviews the following Tuesday. I walked in to customer service told me to wait by the tables and someone will come to me. So the manager came to me interviewed offered me the postion right after and told me to go Friday to fill out paperwork. Interviewed lasted 10 mins. Advice just be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you went above and beyond to help a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered more than i thought.

Certified Pharmacy Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duncanville, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Tom Thumb (Duncanville, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I walked in and went to the pharmacy. I was interviewed by the pharmacy manager. He took me to a seated area near customer service where we sat down and began the interview. It was somewhat private. There were shopper walking by and listening in, which was slightly creepy. I was asked some pretty basic questions( listed below) and in total the interview took about 30 minutes. After that we shook hands and he sent me on my way.

Interview Questions

• What made you choose our company? How long have you been a tech? What were your previous duties at ____phramacy? (if applicable) Your good qualities... What would you do in (insert hypothetical situation)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tom Thumb (Arlington, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call the next day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very simple, they mainly explained some of their policies, duties of the position, and asked if I was capable of doing them. It was over within 10 minutes. A few hours later the hiring manager called and set up a second interview. But this just turned out to be a brief explanation of the job, pay, ordering a uniform, and scheduling training days. Very laidback and quick interview process. However, the pay is strictly minimum wage (even with prior years of experience). So if you really need the money this is probably not the best choice.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe a time when you and another coworker had a dispute, how did you resolve it? 2. Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview

I applied in person. The process took three weeks. The interview was very easy, mostly just asking about my past experience working in retail. The manager was very nice and I got a tour of the premises. I even got some free water to drink. The interview took about thirty minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tom Thumb (Dallas, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I filled out an application online and they emailed me about a week and a half for a prescreening on the phone. The woman was polite and asked basic questions like a time you helped someone, like a friend or teammate, out. I was later called for an interview on the store and asked pretty much the same questions asked no the prescreening. It was pretty easy, and somtimes I felt I could go on and on, but she was fine with the first sentence of all my answers if it contained what they were looking for( an answer about how I resolved a confrontation, for example, didnt need to be elaborated upon). The recruiter kept writing, barely making eye contact like a lot of interview, but was polite. She then said it was strictly minimum wage and that they only gave raises each 6 months upon evaluation. She also emphasized they need someone reliable, and told me they were unhappy students like me would change their availability up someone after 2 or 3 months. This made me a bit concerned since to me 3 months are enough time for one's life to change, so one can become unavailable on certain days. She also loved that I put I was available at opening hours(6:00am) and seemed like she wanted me to be available until 1 am! That same day I did their math test for cashiers, which she said no one fails ever. She told me I needed 2 govt issued IDs, but I only had one so we agreed on training and having my background check the next day so I could be hired right away. She did say the training is paid after. I wasnt entirely convinced so I called the next day to decline the offer.

Interview Questions

• It would've been my first job there, so I had no experience elsewhere. The store recruiter asked if I had previously helped any customer, which she said then anyone on any other store while shopping in my case. This led to a somewhat awkward and vague response of me saying I had helped someone on Target specifically(cause she asked where!) help find a product if I was familiar with it. It shouldnt really be difficult for anyone who had another job. They also ask about what a customer could buy along with a birthday cake.   1 Answer

Overall it was fine, but didn't seem like the best choice to be a cashier at, since other places hire for more.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Tom Thumb in January 2014.

Interview

Submitted several online applications to several stores in the area, but had to walk in and ask about it a couple weeks later. After asking about possibly working there, hiring manager asked for me to come in 2 days later for an interview. The interview was pretty laid back (1 on 1 interview): - "Tell me about yourself." - My past work experience as a cashier for another store, what I liked/disliked about it. - "Can you deal with grumpy people?" - My availability Then I did a personality assessment, and another test with a time limit that tests your ability to follow directions, give change, your attention to detail, etc. You can get 1 of 2 possible end results: eligible or ineligible for hire. Then she administered a drug test on the spot. Had a lot of technical problems with their hiring system for some reason. Had to wait a couple days for it to get fixed, before moving on to training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. She just let me know what the pay was.

Cake Decorator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Tom Thumb.

Interview

Complete an online application, which can be done inside the stores for those who do not have access. If your application is picked then you would have a very brief phone interview with their hiring manager. From there depending on the position applying for you would either interview with the store manager or other management.

Interview Questions

• None, very basic questions. Why us, do you know anyone who works for the company, why you left previous job, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation is advisable, this is retail and they want to get the best deal they can. Ask a little high, cause they will counter with a lower amount.

Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Tom Thumb in October 2013.

Interview

It was instant. Saw the manager, explained my past work experiences. What I can do and what kind of training I received. Told him my hours were flexible and I was a diligent worker who worked with a sense of urgency. Was hired on the spot. Overall interview was about 2 to 5 minutes.