Top Hat Monocle

Relevance Date Difficulty

Campus Ambassador Interview

Campus Ambassador

Interviewed at Top Hat Monocle

Interview Details – Casual phone conversation with someone at the office. It didn't really come off as an interview. It was more of a casual conversation of getting to know me and asking why I was interested in the position. They offered me the position right after the conversation.

Senior Sales Executive Interview

Senior Sales Executive
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Top Hat Monocle in June 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring was very smooth and simple when I got hired, however I was one of the earliest reps hired, so a couple of phone interviews with upper management and I had a job offer in my email, so super easy, just need to be personable and voice your sales experience.

Interview Question – there was nothing here too difficult to answer. Hardest question is where you see yourself in the company over the next few years, and since it is a growing start up company even management does not know where we will be yet. I would say nothing out of the ordinary here, simple process, straight forward questions (ex. tell me about your work experience etc...)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Try to push for a little extra on base salary as long as you have a solid sales background, and also try and get a stock option or profit sharing with extensive sales experience as well.

Campus Ambassador Interview

Campus Ambassador

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Top Hat Monocle.

Interview Details – I interviewed for the Campus Ambassador position which is essentially a Sales position in which you build a rapport with professors and convine them to implement the THM product in their lessons. The Campus Ambassador internship process was quite straight-forward. After emailing the company with a cover letter expressing my interest, I was called in a couple of weeks. The HR rep called and told me that I sounded like a great fit for the the position and asked me a few questions regarding the style/size of the classes at my university and whether I was able to work the required 10-15 hours per week.

Besides a few "get to know you" questions, the process was quick, to the point and I was given a handful of materials to read over before giving my decision of whether or not to accept the position.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Account Director Interview

Account Director

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Top Hat Monocle in July 2012.

Interview Details – There was a total of 3 phone interviews all done within one week. I didn't interview in person based on the office being in Canada. On the day of my last phone interview I was called back & offered the position which I accepted. All & all the interviews was very standard with typical questions regarding back ground etc...

Negotiation Details – I accepted initial offer.

Finance/Operations Interview

Finance/Operations

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Top Hat Monocle.

Interview Details – The interview process took about 1.5 - 2 weeks in total. I had a phone interview for about 30 minutes, answered some questions, and was told after that we would be in touch.

The next interview was a face-to-face at the office where they wanted to know the full details of my previous jobs, roles and responsibilities and my experiences on a whole (goods and bads).I think it was a way to show your true colours, show that you have conquered your struggles and lived life a little. That took about an hour. The questions were repetitive and I kept wondering if I was saying too much. I must admit that there were some lows that I was embarrassed to disclose, but there is really no point in lying about it, as long as you stay optimistic and learned from the past.

Last interview took 2 hours, met two different people and answered behavioural and situational questions. I thought I had prepared extensively for the interview but there were still questions I was stumped on.
Everyone was extremely friendly, but make you set aside ample time for the interview.

Interview Question – What motivates you??   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and interviewed at Top Hat Monocle.

Interview Details – Received an email for an interview the same day I applied for the position. Initial phone interview was quite professional. I was invited in to an in-person interview in which I was asked detailed questions about high school and university (pretty weird as I have been a part of the corporate world for 5+ years). I got the feeling that they were trying to use the "cool" hipster approach to interviewing by asking random questions. I was invited to a second in-person interview which was a mess - completely disorganized. The first interviewer didn't even know I had already come in to be interviewed and then proceeded to only ask questions about a part time job I had for 4 months while in school - completely unrelated to my current skill set or profession. I then met with one co-founder of the company who grilled me for 2 hours about the internal process and KPIs at my current employer (a large software company). I guess they're still trying to learn how they should be managing their company and care more about gaining insight into industry best practices than finding good talent.

Interview Question – What was your favourite subject in high school?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Top Hat Monocle in March 2014.

Interview Details – phone call with HR describing the role, a few questions.

phone call with vp of engineering, hour long interview with tech questions and tech quiz

in-person interview with chief architect, hour long with tech questions and tech quiz

final in-person interview with HR and CEO, hour long, uses something called "TopGrading" which asks about highschool, college, university and all job history (they skipped a few questions here and there but did ask about highschool and college).

Interview Question – construct a binary search tree   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Top Hat Monocle in November 2013.

Interview Details – Asked questions about regular computer science topics. A skills test that touched on some basic computer science algorithms and concepts. A very generic start-up.

Interview Question – Write a sorting algorithm to sort numbers by only using O(n)   View Answer

Inside Sales Representative/Account Coordinator Interview

Inside Sales Representative/Account Coordinator
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Top Hat Monocle in November 2012.

Interview Details – Make sure you know you stuff when it comes to sales and cold calling. Show that you are willing to learn how things are done at Top Hat and that you work hard to ensure you hit your numbers. It would really help if you know anything about the post-secondary education field.

Interview Question – The typical what are your flaws etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation but the pay and benefits speak for themselves

Account Coordinator Interview

Account Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Top Hat Monocle.

Interview Details – Got a call from HR, initial phone interview was about 15-20 minutes. Second interview was in person with direct manager, pretty straightforward. Got an email about a week later, and set up a third interview on the phone with a regional sales manager, about another 15-20 minutes. Got an offer a few days later, started the following week.

Interview Question – Standard sales questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Worked for Top Hat Monocle? Contribute to the Community!