TopCoder Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at TopCoder

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glastonbury, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TopCoder (Glastonbury, CT) in December 2012.

Interview

I really enjoyed the opportunity to meet the Topcoder team and learn more about the business. I truly believe Topcoder has a unique business that, in a few years, will be as commonplace as "outsourcing" is today. It's an exciting time to join an organization like Topcoder! The interview process was mostly very professional. I went through a recruiter; there was an initial phone interview and then a day of in-person interviews in Glastonbury. I met with three of the senior executive team as well as a Platform Manager and a Technical Account Manager. I was impressed with everyone that I met, and I thought the interview questions were well thought out. If I have to pick some negatives, the main one is that after my initial round of interviews, it took literally months for them to come back to me with an offer. Unfortunately the offer was below my salary requirement (and indeed, below what I had even discussed with them while I was there). I initially turned it down, but then some circumstances changed for me and I went back a month later, but the position had unfortunately been filled already.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were pretty standard; they did a very thorough job of exploring my background.   Answer Question

Platform Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TopCoder (Marlborough, MA) in June 2011.

Interview

I used to compete on the TopCoder competitions so I received a notice by email that they were hiring. I contacted the HR rep at TopCoder and sent them my resume. From here we set up a phone interview with a business development manager. The phone interview went well and we set up a second phone interview with a more technical person. The second phone interview went well and we scheduled an in-person interview at their headquarters. I interviewed with 3 different people, including one of the VPs. There were two other candidates interviewed for the position (at least for the full interview process). A week after the interview I was told they were looking for someone with more experience. This was understandable as they wanted 5 years of experience and I only had 2. I give them credit for entertaining the idea of hiring me since I was under-qualified. They clearly were open to giving me the chance.

Interview Questions

• There are some managers that rate their importance based on how many employees report to them. When trying to convince them to use the TopCoder model, how would you go about it?   Answer Question