Topshop

Updated Jan 25, 2015
Updated Jan 25, 2015

2.5

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Topshop in January 2015.

I filled out the application online and two weeks later I got an invite to an interview. It had to be rescheduled because of the weather. Turns out it was an open recruitment for Topshop. There was at least 9 other candidates waiting to be interviewed. They call you one by one. It was just a meet and greet that lasted no more than 10 minutes. If they liked you they invited you to another interview session and if not you get a slip thanking you for your time. They asked questions such as why Topshop? what separates you from the rest of the other candidates? what do you have to offer to the store? Why'd you leave your last job or what is your other job like? Tell them about yourself.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Topshop.

I applied online and got an email back a few days later. They gave me a time frame to show up in the store on a specific date. On their website it says that they hire at 16, but they told me that I had to be 18 after I was asked to come into the store, but I was still interviewed anyways.

Assistant Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Topshop.

I applied three days after the position was posted. I received an immediate response from the coordinator a week later for a phone interview. They then scheduled an interview with the ABM the following week. The interview went great, however, the ABM doing the interview was a bit stand offish and talked mostly. She expressed I was a great candidate for the position and would notify within a week. I never received any notification of an offer or a decline to offer. I have an amazing resume and exceptional experience, yet the company did not feel necessary to update the interviewers about the outcome for weeks to come, even when calling for an update.

Interview Questions
    • Having an ABM who lacks energy and exude intimidation hold the interview. In addition, they expressed there is very small room for growth with the company. I still love the brand, however, I believe the person conducting the interview was not the appropriate choice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Topshop in November 2014.

I applied online for the new store opening up on 5th ave. I was super nervous because it was going to be my first real job (I worked only with family). They emailed me the next day saying they were impressed with my application and were interested in setting up a interview. Which was supposed to be a group interview and then a solo interview according to previous interview reviews. The interview/ recruitment meeting was going to be Friday or Saturday depending in which day you chose to go. I had applied Wednesday night and got a reply on Thursday afternoon. I decided to go Saturday since on Friday it was Halloween. I looked up a ton of reviews on this website which is absolutely amazing because it definitely does help. But I was still nervous being that it was my first job interview ever.

On Saturday morning it was raining, windy and below normal fall weather in New York which basically felt like winter, also I had heels (nothing out there, simple and nude in color) an to make matters worse, I got lost trying to find my way due to taking a different route. So I wasn't exactly off to a good start which just added to me being more nervous. My intention was to be there early but I since I got lost so I got there 15 minutes after 10am. I wasn't "late" since you could go anywhere between 10-2. But it is always better to be early!

Once getting there you are suppose to enter through the employee entrance, you sign in and get the like 7 page application to fill in while you wait upstairs which meant I had to walk up to the 4th floor and there, you had to sit in a very narrow, long hallway. When I got there, there was a good 15+ people there. I sat down and filled out the application. Since it was my first time, I did not think about bringing my social security or reference numbers. Luckily I had the information in my phone. Before even finishing the application, the person interviewing began with me! It went straight to a one on one! I was caught of guard.

When I went in, she asked me simple questions. She was friendly but intimidating. I didn't feel prepared and I had came in thinking I was going to go in a group interview first. Although the questions were simple, I did not feel my answers were strong enough or impressing. It took about 5 minutes. The last thing she asked was if I had any questions. I knew I had to think of one and so I did. It was the most basic and most used question: what do you love about topshop? Horrible I know! She answered and I tried commenting but even with that I knew I didn't impress her. After that she said to hand in my application when I was done and that they'd call if they were interested in a few days.

Its been 5 days and I've still not gotten a phone call. I emailed them the day after my interview with my resume because they did not ask me for it and in the email it had said to bring it to hand it in. I also turned it into small thank you letter since I had read online it was good doing this. I still have not gotten a Reply.

The new 5th ave location opened up yesterday, I stopped by and noticed that all the employees were dressed in that UK grunge style. So I knew there I wasn't going to get the job. I had gone into the interview with a fuchsia toned down blazer (nothing dramatic), all black attire, and small nude/ skin tone heels. It was professional but not too over the top and my style. I had read on of the reviews on here that someone didn't get a reply till 6 days later but it's almost 6 days and I didn't feel strongly about my interview.

I reallllyyyy wanted the job but I will try again later on and in the SoHo location. Good luck! Hope that this long review helped!

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Topshop in October 2014.

I gave them my resume and they had a little 5 minute conversation with me about Topshop and why I want to work there. I really love Topshop so I guess they could tell when I was talking to them. Then he told me to come in the next week for a group interview. The group interview was so much fun an very relaxed we had to put together and outfit for a lawyer on casual friday that wanted to go from a day to night look and they loved my groups look! Then we had to put together what we thought a perfect employee would be. Then we had a one on one interview the lady I was interviewed with was very intimidating and I didn't think I got the job then 6 days later they called and said I was hired at the Soho store!!

Interview Questions
    • What is a 5th ave experience supposed to be like? ( I didn't really like this question because I feel like I should get the same experience on 5th ave as I would on broadway)   Answer Question
    She asked me what I wanted to get paid I gave way too low a number so make sure you guys start off high!

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Topshop.

I applied online and received a call back the next day, which was pretty surprising since they got back to me so quickly. When I interviewed the day after, there were three woman. All of them were managers. I thought the interview went pretty well, they seemed really responsive to what I was saying, and I think my outfits that I put together were out of the box, yet simple enough. The next week I got an email saying I wasn't chosen and I think the reason why was because of lack of experience.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Topshop in October 2014.

i went there on wednesday to drop my resume and one of the workers told me there was an open house going on. when i got there i was told to come back on friday cause it got cancelled. On friday i got there as early as 9:40 and it started at like 10ish. we were about 16 people (batch A) we were all called inside, and there were 2 managers who told us about topshop,they were really friendly. The first thing we had to do was introduce ourselves and name a super-power we would like to be and why. then we were all divided into 5 to make a detailed profile for an online dating website for a guy/girl who likes to shop itopshop soho/5th avenue.. we were to come up with a name, age,ethnicity,what he/she is looking for in a partner etc.. the after that we had the one on one interview.
    1) why topshop
    2) tell me about your recent job

Interview Questions
    • the unexpected question for me was. tell me about the time u had to go above and beyond for a customer of for your company??   View Answer

Seasonal/Part Time Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Topshop in October 2014.

I applied online and was emailed a few days later for an open recruitment event. I arrived towards the end of the event and had to sign in and wait since there were a line of applicants. I've never been to an open recruitment event so I was completely over dressed especially for a retail store. The first stage is a screening interview. Literally less than five mins. My interviewer was pretty young and seemed like one of the regular employees. He was cool. He just asked the interview questions straight from the application and wrote my responses on the paper. I guess I left a decent impression because he invited me to the second interview. The second stage was a group interview of about 8 out 9 other applicants. We had to talk about ourselves and had to do activities with other people. We also had to make an outfit from a rack of clothes for a specific situation that was given to us. Then we had to explain why we chose it. They definitely want to see how you work with others and how your styles are. They also paired us up with different people to draw our ideal candidate and then explain it to others. A lot of speaking with the managers and the group. At the end of the interview we moved to another room so we could be called in one by one for another interview with one of the managers. It was pretty technical with regular interview questions. The manager said I would receive a call in Sunday or at latest Monday but I wasn't contacted.

Interview Questions
    • Draw your ideal candidate. Who's your fashion icon? If you could pick anyone, past or present, who would you spend a day with? What book and food would you take on a deserted island?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at topshop? Why should we pick you? Who's your fashion icon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Topshop in September 2014.

I saw Topshop was hiring on Craigslist and I sent my resume, 8 hrs later I got an email back saying that I got invited for a screening interview. I got there and I wore a vintage jacket and docs. I met with the manager and it was a short brief interview. He was really nice and made feel comfortable. He then invited me back for a 2nd interview. It was a group interview. It was very fun and I almost forgot I was there for an interview. After that you get separated and are called in one by one to be interviewed individually. She said that I should be receiving a call with in a week. & I did :)

Sales Advisor Interview

I applied on Craigslist after I saw they were hiring for the new location on 5th avenue. I got an email a few days later asking me to come in for an interview. When I came in for the first interview, it was a one-on-one, question-answer kind of interview. Once you make a good impression on the first interviewer, they'll invite you back for the second and third round which happen on the same day. The second round is a group interview which is soooooo much fun! You have to answer a few fun questions as icebreakers, then we do a group assignment of picking out outfits for different scenarios, then on to another one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Which celebrity would you want to be, and why? What is your ideal sales associate?   Answer Question