Topshop Sales Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

2.1

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Topshop.

Interview

Job fair first then a very fun interview. The thing is I'm looking for full-time but they're just offering me a part-time/seasonal.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Topshop

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Topshop (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

group interview which consisted of role playing and outfit building for different types of customers, followed by one on one interview. During the group interview they just want to see how you interact with other employees, and how you would handle different types of customers. one on one interview was more traditional questions about yourself and skills, and past experience.

Interview Questions

• what is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Negotiation

accepted first offer.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Topshop (New York, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

first round consisted of a basic phone interview, very straight forward. Then HR will ask you to come into their new york city office for a group interview. At the time I applied, everybody that applied in my group (6 people) made it to the sales floor. The interview consisted of team games and mini projects about topshop's brand and image, such as magazine colleges of a certain fashion trend.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You are able to negotiate where you would be placed -> topman/topshop/back of house, as well as how much you would like to be paid.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Topshop in June 2015.

Interview

I arrived first about 20 minutes early and was asked to browse the store until the other candidates arrived. I had already researched the trends and what was new in topshop so it was no shock as to what was in the store. Whilst waiting all the candidates were happily chatting and it was very laid back. We were led up into where the clothes are stored into a room (very small for 18 people) the two managers introduced themselves and everyone else did (with their name and an interesting fact about themselves). We were then given name tags and asked our availability and they took our national insurance numbers and checked our form of ID as well as taking our references. We were then split into two groups of 9, my group stayed in the room and the other went to the shop floor. We were agian split into 2 groups and were given a large sheet of paper and we had to write role and expectations of what we thought Topshop had. We read these out in our groups and then went onto the shop floor were we collected email addresses of customers for about half an hour or so and were asked to aproach customers and ask if they needed any assistance etc. We then all went back upstairs, they thanked us for coming and said there were 2 jobs going and they would get back to us in 10 days. I got a voicemail whilst I was on holiday 11 days later and by the time I got back from my holiday the positron had gone.

Interview Questions

• What are TopShops expectations of you?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Topshop (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

I handed in my CV to an employee in the Birmingham Bullring store who then gave it to a manager and I received a phone call from a manager a few days prior to that. She had invited me in for an interview. The interview process was simple and there was no pressure at all and everyone was really friendly. There were about 7/8 people in the interview (as it was a group interview) and we all waited in the staff room and chatted before we were all called into the interview room. We all sat around a table and were asked some questions by the two managers, they were all really simple Ice breakers for them to get to know us abit better. We were firstly asked what superpower we would have when working in topshop, then were asked what 3 things we would take to an island (what food, album and book) and then split into smaller groups and asked then to write down a list of perfect sales assistant attributes and then discussed them with the rest of the group. Once finished we were all taken to the shop floor and placed in different parts of the store. (When on the shop floor I noticed my top was see through and could see my bra!! So embarrassing) I was put in the petite section then we had to act as though we worked at topshop and had to speak to customers etc. whilst the managers were observing us. It was really easy and enjoyable. Then after that it was time for a one to one interview with one of the managers. The one to one interview I had went really well. I was asked questions about my previous work experience and how I helped improve sales and about team work. (As I previously worked at schuh) I was also asked how I kept up with current trends, I just said online, like on the topshop website where you can view trends and in store as trending items are always located at the front of the store and high street fashion magazines. I was then asked where I saw myself in 3 years, I said hopefully in university and working in topshop part time:) the interview was really relaxed and thankfully the manager interviewing me was really nice and easy to get along with. I got a call back a week later offering me a position:)!

Interview Questions

• How did you help improve sales at your previous job?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Topshop.

Interview

-Recruitment day and one on one interview (possibly same day) -Asked about current 'trends' and all answers on website. Asked to build an outfit and explain who would wear it etc. -Emphasis on customer service, be able to discuss bad and good personal experiences -'chat' style interview -aim to find someone who will fit in with the team, not very formal etc

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Topshop (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)).

Interview

I initially applied online, with an application form and a resume. I got an email stating that I had been accepted into the casting round. All that was involved was literally a 2 minute interview 1 on 1 with an assessor and all she asked was 'tell me a bit about yourself' and 'why do you want to work for topshop/topman? 2 days later I got another email saying I had made it to the group interview stage of recruitment. This was so much cruisier than I expected, especially considering I had read other peoples accounts beforehand. I was sat at a table of about 8. After hearing someone talk a bit about the history of topshop, we had an icebreaker activity, just in your group which essentially just involved introducing yourself, what you currently studied, your fashion icon and wardrobe must. After that we had a prioritizing activity, where in our groups we were given 10 scenarios and we had to decide amongst our groups, what 3 situations would be of the highest priority and why and these were presented to everyone. We then in our groups were given a customer profile (e.g. a 21 year old woman, needing a smart casual outfit for a beach wedding in Thailand) and you altogether had to plan an entire outfit, including the questions you would ask the customer. You had an assessor just floating round the table seeing how you interact with each other, who spoke up, etc etc. Then the group presents their ideas to an assessor (not infront of everyone, just the group) Lastly, as a group you had to detail the steps in helping and serving a customer including, what we would say. E.g. a greeting, starting conversation, letting them know of any promotions, asking if they need assistance or just browsing... right up to point of sale Again an assessor was just observing, and then you all presented the ideas. That was it for the group stage and it took an hour at most. We then all went outside, and were called in 1 by 1 for a personal interview. The sort of things they asked were 'Tell me about yourself' 'Describe your previous retail experience' 'Any availability specifications' 'Where do you gain fashion inspiration' 'What you would expect to do in a typical day of work' 'What do you think you could bring to Topshop' Im pretty sure that was it. The whole thing was a really positive experience, and very laid back. There were no suprises or majorly daunting questions. I was under the impression I would need to know a lot about fashion and trends, but they really didn't limit the activities and questions to people with extensive fashion knowledge. They didn't get back to us about the position until 2 weeks after the group interview, after they had called references. Good luck to anyone about to go on an interview.. as cliché as it is, just be yourself, they hired a mix of outgoing people, the more reserved, the knowledgeable as well as fashion beginners

Interview Questions

• Probably just where I gathered fashion inspiration from, only because it's something I've never generally thought about and there's not one outlet I primarily source from. I found that probably the most difficult only because I was unprepared for it, but still managed to give an acceptable answer caught off guard!   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trafford Park, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Topshop (Trafford Park, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

I got the interview through knowing a member of staff. They asked me to send my CV to a certain email address, and after doing so I got an automated reply with the time and date of the group interview. Other people had obviously given out this email address to all of their mates because a lot of people had arrived to the interview in large friendship groups! The interview was on a Sunday evening when the store was closed. I arrived 30 minutes early to see already over 30 people waiting outside the shutters! Eventually there grew to be 60-70 candidates! A member of staff took a photo of everybody lined up, then we started to be led through. We were given a name tag, then told to pose for individual photographs. Next we were split into groups of five and sent to one of many groups of three staff standing by a rail of clothes. We were given a brief. Ours was to choose an outfit for a 30 year old mother which was both sexy, and comfortable for her. I took the word comfortable as meaning something not too out there, so she wouldn't feel self concious. I chose a classy black dress, and a black and white duster coat as they were on trend for the season. Other people chose very baggy clothes. We were then asked in turn to give reasons for our choices and they wrote down notes on a piece of paper. The members of staff at this stage were very unenthusiastic. They didn't smile or give much eye contact and I felt very rushed when describing my outfit. Next our names were called individually to go and sit with a new individual member of staff, on puffets. There must have been a dozen one-to-one interviews happening at once. The lady asked me three pages of questions off a sheet and wrote down my answers scoring me out of 3 for each. I got 3/3 for most, with the occasional 2/3. The questions were all ones I'd researched: What are three staples for the upcoming AW season? Why do you want to work for us? Give an example of when you've given good customer service. Give an example of a time when you've had to deal with a bad situation at work. Research commonly asked questions about customer service and have your answers or examples prepared. Know about Topshop's current trends. If you know about fashion you'll be fine. I felt like the one-to-one interview went really well for me personally, I was smiley and confident and answered the questions with good knowledge, and got good scores for them! The member of staff interviewing me however did keep making comments, almost to put me off working there. She said things like "it's really hot here" and "it gets soo busy it's horrible". Finally she walked me to the door and said bye. I went to shake her hand but she'd already turned away. I got an email a week later saying they had decided not to take my application any further. To be honest I was a bit shocked as they were hiring 40 new staff from that interview and I had 3 years experience in another fashion retail store. I'd dressed fashionably, been friendly and confident, everything had gone well. I have great grades in my gcses and a-levels. Everybody else at the interview was 16-17 years old. The ones I'd spoke to were shocked at my age and I'm only 21 haha! I think that is probably why they didn't hire me. It's a lot cheaper to hire 16 year olds! Also I asked for 16 hours when they asked what my ideal hours would be and I think in hindsight they were only looking for people to do 4 hours. Over all, the interview was made very fun and relaxed. However, it was very rushed and over with very quickly in a way that made it seem they weren't really interested in you. Some of the staff were quite rude and grumpy and we were treated like cattle pretty much.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Topshop (Peterborough, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Handed my CV and covering letter in after seeing a job post being advertsied in the shop windonw

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the changing rooms were full and there was a long queue of people waiting to try clothes on?   2 Answers

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Topshop (Birmingham, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

Put together an outfit together for both Male and female, and carry out shop floor duties such as letting customers through to the fitting room, then being invited back for a one on one interview where you answer questions about yourself and sell yourself explaining what you will bring to the job role.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to Topshop?   1 Answer