Torchmark Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2015

1.9

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Torchmark (Eatontown, NJ).

Interview

I was asked to come to the Eatontown office in New Jersey. Make no mistake, this place is an interview factory. From the front vestibule you enter a door on the right, and when you leave you come out the door on the left, so as not to inform the others about what goes on. Three minutes after I signed in, there were twenty some-odd people waiting. I was brought to an office in the back of the building by a gentleman only a few years older than I. He explained that the company mainly marketed to blue-collar union workers, and that I would essentially be cold-calling for sales, with the possibility of being moved up to a management position of my performance rated high enough. This is the same offer every insurance company makes for this type of position, and I told him this. The pay is commission based, and after letting him explain the job in full, I informed him that he had nothing to offer me and asked to be escorted from the building. This is mainly a place that uses recent college grads and individuals who have searching for work for some time.

Enrollment Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Torchmark (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter, and was told they found my resume posted online. I initially told her I am not interested in a sales position, and asked her about it. She told me flat out, it was not a sales position, that I would be dealing with people that had already agreed to sign up for insurance. I also told her I don't want a commission based position. She told me that the job was full time salary from 35k to 55k a year. I agreed to the interview. She emailed me that day, told me where to go and to bring a resume and references. The day of the interview There were a lot of other people there. I was asked to fill out an application. Then after about 15 minutes a man came and called me back to an office. We didn't talk long. He told me about the interview process and told me he was impressed with my experience in communication. The interview process being 3 steps. The first, being my conversation with him, the second, a presentation explaining the job and the company, and the third would be a call back for a final interview. I was then taken for phase 2, to a larger room where there was a tv set up and was given a personality profile to fill out. There were other people in here doing the same. At some point, another agent came in and went into what the company does and the position, compensation, ext. They sell life insurance to members of unions, credit unions, ect. It was a sales position, fully commission based. Dont get me wrong, if you are interested in sales, it seemed like a good place to be, seriously, But my hang up was how they lied to me to get me there. I sat through the 45 minute presentation and then another agent pulled each of us into an office. I was asked what I thought and if I was interested in continuing the process. I told him no, explained that I was lied to, and he told me that he would address that. (Yeah right)

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Torchmark (Arlington, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

First interview was to clarify the screening process and then initially filter out the disqualified candidates that would not be able to take the psychological screening. As I initially had thought from the pre-interview communications that I was scheduled for an interview at this specific time slot. However, when you initially walk into the office you see a myriad of people all sitting in the waiting room and this was confusing as they where obviously there for an interview at the same time. Afterwards they clarified the process and then it made more sense.

Interview Questions

• Very general friendly questions in the first interview before the screening test. Suspect if one passes this test, then there will be more specific questions for the next interview afterwards.   Answer Question

Negotiation

This section I have yet to get to as I am waiting for the initial phone call that will arrive if you are selected from the first phase of the interview. My entry was to clarify the initial confusion of the interview process

Conservation Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinney, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Torchmark (McKinney, TX).

Interview

The interview process was very pleasant. The supervisors were calm and laid back. They made it easy for you me to have a conversation versus feel like an interrogation. I was offered the position the same day contingent I passed all of my test.

Interview Questions

• Many "how you would you handle this type of customer" questions. All situational.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay was pay per piece.

Internal Audit Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Torchmark.

Interview

After I applied online, I received an assessment that tested for Microsoft Excel Aptitude and SQL knowledge After the assessment I had a interview with the Manager and the Department head for about an hour Took over a month but they gave me an offer.

Supervisor/Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Torchmark (Arlington, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I went to this position hoping to give them the benefit of the doubt, despite what I had read on here, but I should have listed to the other users. I applied for a position listed as a "Supervisor/Trainer" position. After applying, I got an email asking me to come in the next day dressed in business formal attire and bringing a copy of my resume (why would you have to tell anyone this?). I had an interview at 10:15 am. I showed up and to a suite that is clearly used to pack in interviewers, get them in a room to be asked banal interview questions, and onto the part where they reveal that this isn't an interview for a management position, but rather a bait-and-switch technique used to get you in the door. When I showed up, there was no place to sit, as they had at least 20 other people in there waiting for an interview. All I can say is, these people didn't look like management material and I should have turned around then, but I was still curious. Upon arriving, they make you fill out a form asking weird questions - ex. if you're involved in on-going lawsuits/investigations, been accused/convicted/plead guilty to any crimes, what your last two addresses were, the make/model/year of your car. Six different interviewers brought each person back. My interviewer was missing two teeth in the front of her mouth. She took me into a shell of an office (computer monitor, not computer/keyboard; desk, but no stapler, tape dispenser, family photos, etc) to conduct the "interview". The interviewer told me that the interview process was split into three segments - the first being this part, where she would ask me a few questions to see if "we [had] anything in common," if they liked you, they'd call you back for a second interview, where they would tell you about the job and you could ask questions (another red flag), and if you were desperate enough to come back again, the third and final interview would be where they'd make you a formal offer. She asked me what I knew about the company and then explained that it was essentially a pyramid scheme - you contact teachers, union members, firemen, police officers, plumbers, electricians, etc and they sign up for life insurance and refer their friends and family to you, as she insisted there was no cold-calling (why would there be in a management position?). She told me she loved her job, to which I asked if she was in sales and she confirmed (I guess she is being scammed, too). She asked me some very basic questions - a mix of mostly sales questions mixed in with enough management questions to keep you interested (ex. how competitive are you? are you comfortable supervising others? are you comfortable taking with strangers?). She asked me about my career goals and then after looking bored to tears, said "I like you. I really like you. I'd like you to move straight into the second part of the process - do you have 45 minutes?" I told her I had another interview at 12:30, but she insisted it would help my chances if I filled out a questionnaire and met with someone about the position a that time. I told her I'd do it (just wanting a good story at this point) and she takes me into a room with 20+ people listening to a man ramble on about the company/show hokey motivational videos from their conferences until he finally admitted that we were interviewing for a "benefits coordinator" (glorified terminology for a salesman/saleswoman position). I walked out at that time and publicly let him know what I thought about his deceptive business practices; 7 other people walked out with me, too. STAY FAR AWAY, UNLESS YOU WANT TO SELL SUB-PAR INSURANCE POLICIES TO THE DISENFRANCHISED FOR THE DURATION OF YOUR EMPLOYMENT.

Interview Questions

• FIRST PORTION: How competitive are you? Are you comfortable supervising others? Are you comfortable taking with strangers? QUESTIONNAIRE: On a scale of 1 - 10 how competitive would you say you are? What are three personal traits that help you the most in the business world? Knowing that we all have some weak points, what are two of your weaknesses that you feel you want to improve? What are your goal, short-term and long-term? Describe the "perfect" career. What are you looking to avoid in a career? What motivates you? How would you describe yourself as an employee? What are three positive things your last employer would say about you? When were you most satisfied with your last job? The next part of the questionnaire is a multiple-choice (two choices for each question) section with 48 questions about fundamental attribution bias/self-serving bias (situational vs. causal attributions - I'm a psychology major and this is social psychology 101). Here are a few examples: You get lost driving to a friend's house. A - I missed my turn. B - My friend gave me bad directions. You host a successful dinner. A - I was particularly charming that night. B - I'm a good host. You ask a person out on a date and he/she says no. A - I was a wreck that day. B - I got tongue-tied when I asked him/her on the date. You tell a joke and everyone laughs. A - The joke was funny. B - My timing was perfect. You are asked to head an important project. A - I just successfully completed a similar project. B - I am a good supervisor. You win the lottery. A - It was pure luck. B - I picked the right numbers.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinney, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Torchmark (McKinney, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Wasn't really an interview it was more like a group meeting and it was just if you passed a typing and spelling test then you got the job there really was no interview process as far as just those tests

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ramapo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Torchmark (Ramapo, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

short and simple and easy. 2 days 3 interview. they asked you basic questions while monitoring your personality. if they thought you had what it takes to make it they invited you back if not they dont.

Interview Questions

• do you comfortable leading people   1 Answer

Customer Retention FT Interview

Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Torchmark (McKinney, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Let me start by saying I haven't interviewed in over 10 years & I was very nervous. My interviewer was very nice, asked basic questions. Also after the interview you can if time available take the screening test & get the ball rolling for possible hire.

Interview Questions

• How many times should you be tardy or absent in the 1st 90 days?   4 Answers

Interview

After sending in an email application, I received an email requesting that I come in for an interview. Once established, I went for an in-person interview to find that I was given a 10-15 minute time slot to answer what they referred to as first tier questions designed to help them decide if I would be asked back for the second and possibly third phase of the process. My interviewer was surprised and seemed a little thrown by the questions I had for her about what the job actually entailed. I was given general information about the company, but very little about the job and told I'd get more information if called for a second tier interview. I didn't receive that call.