Toronto Public Library

Profile Unclaimed

Toronto Public Library Interview Questions

3.2

Systems and Network Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toronto Public Library.

The Initial interview was over the phone. Once they were satisfied with that, I was asked to go in for a written skills test. There were two parts two it, a written part and a practical part - and I think this is a great way to test a potential candidate. After this was the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • They asked technical questions based on my previous work experiences.   Answer Question

Conservator (Short Term/Contract) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Toronto Public Library.

The position was advertised online by one of the many government job search websites available to the Canadian Public. I submitted a .PDF document of my resume, made very unique using Adobe Creative Suite, my cover letter, and a 6 page portfolio.
    They must have been desperate for people because I called them after the position closed and was able to submit my resume. They called me for an interview about two weeks later to schedule the interview early the following week.
    They made you go through a series of questions that were written using very ornate english - I'm not sure why because they were targeting a younger age group with minimal experience. This was frustrating to say the least. They're were two people interviewing you, and you answered about 13 questions, almost all of which were unrelated to the job. This was something else. You then had to write a written exam job-costing an unrelated job in conservation. This was not the job advertised. The application clearly said paper conservator, not estimator. It was extremely frustrating to go through this interview. I would expect the same in the future.

Interview Questions
    • They were extremely reluctant to tell you what you were being hired for, I ended up coercing them into telling me at least what material I would be working with. which ended up being none - the job was to document artifacts, not preserve them. - very unprepared for this interview even though I have a ton of experience making large format documents from my Masters program.

Describe a time where you provided excellent customer service? (This is unrelated to the job. Conservation work is very private and independent work. As an intern or a junior assistant, I was never ever in contact with the owners of the art pieces. Negotiations were made by the two head conservators).

Job Cost x, y, z and list what who you would hire? (I couldn't answer this correctly)

List the Standards of Rehabilitation?(Good idea to memorize those back and front)

How have you used the standards of rehabilitation in your work? (I have a lot of experience with this, so think of examples)

How would you react in a fire?

The Long answer exam was another Job-Cost question.

Not once did they ask me what I knew about paper conservation. or my schooling. or anything related to actual conservation work I've done.

View Answer

Page Interview

Pretty easy interview process, some shelving on a truck.

Pretty simple, hours discussion.

Page Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toronto Public Library.

After waiting for six weeks for some news, I received a call for an interview. The interview lasted for about 30 minutes and it was pretty casual. The staff and the environment is friendly and casual. Overall, a very relaxed interview process.

Part Time Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toronto Public Library in November 2010.

I emailed a member of the HR team who was currently hiring for a number of positions. Within a week I came in for an interview with a written component. They offered me a job within a few days of the interview. They have since implemented new hiring procedures that require a faxed application.

Interview Questions
    • What is your understanding of web 2.0 and how would you implement it in the library   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation as it is a unionized environment. Starting wages and vacation are set in the Collective Agreement.

Page Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Toronto Public Library in October 2009.

Applied through municipal website. Got a call from them to come in for a interview, done by one of the head librarians. Were asked general questions about experience with the library system. Asked to do a shelf test. Got another call a few days later asking when I could start, and was able to negotiate times.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions, but the cart to shelf may be extremely disorganized, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Toronto Public Library in October 2009.

I was on a continuous job hunt, I handed in resumes and applications to numerous locations. One of those places was the Toronto Public Library(TPL). A couple of weeks went by, and they contacted my land-line and offered me a Page position. I gladly accepted and shortly after followed up with an interview. The interview was done by two women, they were very polite and genuine. It went swimmingly although I made a few errors on the minor book sorting test, (which was done on a cart that TPL supplied me with) we had very positive energy throughout the duration of the interview. I then received another call approximately 2 weeks after the interview, this time it was inevitable I simply to confirm my offer and was off to training shortly following. It was a near perfect interview, I had a permanent smile glued to my face the whole time.