Torrid

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Torrid in November 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty laid back. General interview questions, as well as personality questions. Overall it wasn't too intense. I actually enjoyed it. They asked questions about my personal style and why I wanted to work for Torrid.

Interview Question – There wasn't one   Answer Question

Elizabeth, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Torrid in November 2013.

Interview Details – Was called for the interview the day after I applied online, two days later I had a group interview at which time, i was offered a position. That same day we had orientation, and two days after that was my first day of work! Overall the process was the same as any other retail position.

Interview Question – Name something that customers won't see, but will help the company succeed.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Torrid in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call for a interview! I showed up the day of the interview and then found out it was going to be a group interview. I was honestly beyond nervous, but the other girls didn't seem to have much knowledge of the company or the fashion trends at the moment. I took a resume in with me when I went in for the interview, because I was told to bring one if I had one. I got a call the next Monday asking if I could come in for a second interview. The second interview was one on one and lasted ten minutes tops. By the end of the week I was called and offered a sales associate position, and I absolutely love working for the company and with my amazing coworkers. If I could recommend any tips, just be yourself and have a positive attitude.

Interview Question – What are three weaknesses?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Torrid in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied a couple months ago at two Torrid locations, and when I didn't receive an immediate callback, I lost hope. But then, out of the blue, I got a call two weeks ago for an interview! (It's very important if you apply at multiple locations to ask them which location you're interviewing at--they forget to tell you!) i got there five minutes early and they had me browse the shop while they got the forms out.
It was a group interview, which I hadn't expected! But the woman interviewing us was very nice, calm, and honest. The interview was in the storage room. If I had to guess, the interview probably lasted twenty minutes, give or take. She told us she'd let us know by the end of the week if she thought we'd be a good fit for the positions she was looking to fill.
Well, the week ended, and no luck! I was super disappointed when--two weeks after the interview, I received a call! It was from a different Torrid location (again, be sure to ask which location you're speaking with!), and they informed me the location I'd interview at had sent them my application and a good word--the woman who interviewed me said I'd be a great fit for that location! I was very excited. We scheduled an interview for later the same week. I went in, met the (assistant?) manager, and we sat down in the food court and she asked me a few questions.
Some of the questions I had at the first interview were as follows:

-Describe your prior work experience
-Why do you want to work at this torrid location?
-Why do you want to work at Torrid?
-What do you like about Torrid?
-How do you keep up with fashion?
-Talk about a time you were expected to work in a group.
-Why do you think you're a good fit for Torrid?

At the second interview I was asked to rate four things on a scale of one to four. They were things like customer service, passion, etc.
I was informed at the end of the interview I was getting the job, and we immediately filled out the paperwork and entered my information into their system. The entire process of the second interview took about an hour, including entering in the information.
They'll start scheduling you as soon as you're available!

Interview Question – What three things do you think are most in fashion right now?
How often do you come to the mall?
My interview also asked me for specifics on the things I named being most in style.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me the same pay rate I said I would expect (minimum wage)

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Torrid.

Interview Details – I had to go in several times to do simple tasks without being in an interview. I had to call a couple of times before they set up the first interview. I heard that they didn't have group interviews, which excited me, but then I got a call telling me that they had set me up in one. When we went through with it, they took about 6 or 7 people into the stock room and had us interview in there. It wasn't all that bad, but it still was a bit intimidating.

Interview Question – Is the customer always right?   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and interviewed at Torrid.

Interview Details – Applied in store, called back to check on the status and received a call back a few days later. The interview was very casual, met with the assistant manager, and she asked a few of the basic questions.

Interview Question – How do you keep up with the latest fashion trends?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Torrid in October 2012.

Interview Details – The first interview was a group interview and was relatively easy... Simple questions in general. The second interview was just as simple, as both had a relaxed atmosphere, as if just having a conversation with someone new. Torrid looks for employees that will fit with the store's fashion, so a prospective employee needs to keep abreast of current fashions.

Interview Question – Have you ever had a poor experience at Torrid and what was it?   View Answer

Ventura, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Torrid in September 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed at the mall in Ventura, CA after hearing from a classmate who works there. I filles out my application on the spot and turned it in with my resume. The next day I came in to talk to the manager and she scheduled me for a group interview three days later. As you probably know, Torrid is a company that sells plus-size women's clothing. There were five interviewees, including me, and I was the only one who wouldn't fit in plus size. I felt like I interviewed very well, and I do shop for accessories and shoes there, and the stockings because I'm curvy and they actually stay up on my legs, but it would probably still be difficult for me to sell to people who are a little more likely to be self conscious about finding clothes that fit, if they couldn't see them on me.

Interview Question – What would you do if a really heavy girl came in and was trying on a size too small for her; would you tell her it looks good just to get the sale?   View Answer

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Torrid in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online to a store that had not yet opened. I was called in and asked if I would like to participate in their open interviews the next day, I said yes. When I went "in", they had me fill out a paper application. The ladies there were all very nice and chatty. When I finished, one of them pulled me aside and told me to tell her about my work experience, what type of company I had worked for, etc, and she asked questions when she wanted more information or clarification. Most of the questions she asked were in regards to customer service and work place situations, but they were really easy. She was very nice and the interview flew by pretty quickly. It was more like two people having a conversation more than a typical interview setting.The interview probably took 15-25 minutes. She explained to me that they would be calling people back the following Monday to schedule second interviews and that if I didn't get a call back, I would still be in their system for 90 days in case anything did come up. I didn't hear back from them Monday or Tuesday so I figured I did not have the job. I got a call early Wednesday night with her offering me the position.

If you want to work here, you have to present a sociable and pleasant demeanor. Smile a lot. Make plenty of eye contact. Show you're interested!

Interview Questions

• What do you think "Shopping Culture" means?   Answer Question
  • Have you ever a dispute with a fellow employee in the workplace and if so, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was offered 50cents above minimum wage and told that it was on "the high end" for them. I have a few years experience in retail and pretty much expected to start off that low, and I honestly really want to work here, so I took it.

Pleasanton, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Torrid in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in person, and was called for an interview about 2 weeks later. It was a group interview, but there was only 3 of us, so it was okay. Because it was in the mall, it took place at a table outside the food court.

The assistant manager was really nice, and she asked us pretty basic questions about fashion, our favorite clothing items, and why we wanted to work for Torrid. The interview part lasted only about 10 minutes, and then she brought us back to the store.

She then gave us a task, given by the head manager. She asked us to pick out an outfit for an imaginary customer who was about to go on a blind date, and needed help looking for a cute but conservative outfit. After we picked one out, we presented it to the head manager and told her why we picked it. Afterward, the manager talked to us and told us they were basically looking for fashion-forward people who were energetic and friendly. She then said she would be doing a second, one on one interview with whoever she picked and that we should expect a call the next morning. I never got one, but the interview was still pretty fun.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Torrid

Worked for Torrid? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Torrid Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Torrid employees and interview candidates.