Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA Interview Questions

Updated May 30, 2015

2.9

Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

Interview

Phone interview and a site interview. The phone interview is verifying my experience and the site interview was about whether or not I would be a good fit. The people were very friendly and the interview is a panel interview with hr, then a phone interview with hr, and finally a panel interview with engineering and hr.

Interview Questions

• Mainly soft skills questions, nothing technical.   1 Answer

Process Operator Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

Interview

The interview phases consisted of an initial 10 minute interview with HR reps from the different sites the company was hiring for and a second circuit interview at whichever site was interested in you after the first stage. The circuit interview consisted of 5, 20 minute interviews with various process supervisors from the site. Questions ranged from basic behavioral questions to questions about past experience and why you are pursuing the job itself. The questions are designed to make the interviewee present a problem, their solution to the problem, and the result of how their solution to the problem worked.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This is a union contraft job, so there were no negotiations.

Chemical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA (Baton Rouge, LA) in November 2014.

Interview

it was behavioral based questions. The recruiters were very friendly. they asked questions like tell us when ..... a particular situation. use the star approach when answering these questions. They also want to know that you've done your research so tailor your answers to their requirements too.

Interview Questions

• The first question was tell us what you know about total   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Interview

Applied through university. Was contacted within a couple of weeks to set up an interview. Interview was laid back. Mostly behavioral questions like describe a time when you had to come up with a creative solution to a problem. The interview finished with one technical question to assess communications skills.

Account Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview with someone from human resources. Then there was a face to face interview about two weeks later. This was with three different people, individually. One was HR again, just reviewing the position and signing paper work. The other two were with hiring manager and supervisor, both were pretty similar questions and pretty easy going.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

Interview

Applied through my school's job posting system and was invited to an interview. I was interviewed by three people. One was in HR, not sure what the other two were in. Basic behavioral questions and one technical question. The interview was really laid back, they just wanted to talk about my resume and what I like to do outside of school. Got a call back from HR about a month later.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions like "How do you deal with people in groups", "What do you consider you biggest weakness", etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation. Pay was really really good and was actually more than some of my friends that are doing upstream work. They also gave a very generous moving expense stipend.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA (Houston, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was very relaxed. I was able to interview with them because I had a little bit of experience. They appreciated all extra-curricular activities that I participated in because they are looking for well rounded students with good communication skills.

I had already accepted with another company. The offer was $33/hr

Contracted Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA (Houston, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by TOTAL for a position that they decided would be a contracted position to start. They didn't yet have the full scope or the depth of the position defined, nor knew exactly the lines of responsibility. According to the HR person, who had been employed there a whopping total of 4 days before I came in for the interview, this position was not yet a firm one, and subject to modification or elimination, meaning, they don't know what the hell they want. But, when I got there, I was told they thought my background was "interesting" and "curious" and the only thing that was decisive here was that they wanted was to waste my time and money. Oh yes... they don't offer interview candidates any place to park at their downtown Houston office, so I had to spend $10 to park my car for the privilege of satisfying their "curiosity". I feel like sending them an invoice for the parking lot cost and for my wasted time. Would I be wrong to do that?

Interview Questions

• Would you consider learning how to build a website?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA (Houston, TX) in January 2011.

Interview

The hiring and interview process took about two weeks. I basically had 4 overall interviews with TOTAL. The first day was with HR and the hiring manager; and the follow-up interview day was with two other managers in the department. Luckily, most of the questions between the managers were all similar. I was hired a couple of days later after my follow-up interview and I had 24 hours to accept or decline the offer.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There are no negotiations as an intern (at least not from me). It's pretty ideal to get paid $20/hr.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port Arthur, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA (Port Arthur, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

I applied through the career center at my university. The interview was full of situation question. For example: How has the coursework prepared you for this position? Why do you want to intern with Total Petrochemicals? Tell me about a time when you felt overwhelmed with projects or work, and what did you do? Tell about your experience with working in teams?

Interview Questions

• How has the university's coursework prepared you for this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were overwhelmed with a project or work, and what did you do ?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience in working with groups   Answer Question