Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

Interview Details – There was an initial phone interview with someone from human resources. Then there was a face to face interview about two weeks later. This was with three different people, individually. One was HR again, just reviewing the position and signing paper work. The other two were with hiring manager and supervisor, both were pretty similar questions and pretty easy going.

Interview Question – What are your strengths? What are your weakness?   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

Interview Details – Applied through my school's job posting system and was invited to an interview. I was interviewed by three people. One was in HR, not sure what the other two were in. Basic behavioral questions and one technical question. The interview was really laid back, they just wanted to talk about my resume and what I like to do outside of school. Got a call back from HR about a month later.

Interview Question – Basic behavioral questions like "How do you deal with people in groups", "What do you consider you biggest weakness", etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of a negotiation. Pay was really really good and was actually more than some of my friends that are doing upstream work. They also gave a very generous moving expense stipend.

Intern Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in January 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process took about two weeks. I basically had 4 overall interviews with TOTAL. The first day was with HR and the hiring manager; and the follow-up interview day was with two other managers in the department. Luckily, most of the questions between the managers were all similar. I was hired a couple of days later after my follow-up interview and I had 24 hours to accept or decline the offer.

Interview Question – What are your strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations as an intern (at least not from me). It's pretty ideal to get paid $20/hr.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chemical Engineer Interview

Chemical Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in August 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very relaxed. I was able to interview with them because I had a little bit of experience. They appreciated all extra-curricular activities that I participated in because they are looking for well rounded students with good communication skills.

Reason for Declining – I had already accepted with another company. The offer was $33/hr

Contracted Corporate Position Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in June 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by TOTAL for a position that they decided would be a contracted position to start. They didn't yet have the full scope or the depth of the position defined, nor knew exactly the lines of responsibility. According to the HR person, who had been employed there a whopping total of 4 days before I came in for the interview, this position was not yet a firm one, and subject to modification or elimination, meaning, they don't know what the hell they want. But, when I got there, I was told they thought my background was "interesting" and "curious" and the only thing that was decisive here was that they wanted was to waste my time and money. Oh yes... they don't offer interview candidates any place to park at their downtown Houston office, so I had to spend $10 to park my car for the privilege of satisfying their "curiosity". I feel like sending them an invoice for the parking lot cost and for my wasted time. Would I be wrong to do that?

Interview Question – Would you consider learning how to build a website?   View Answer

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Port Arthur, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in September 2010.

Interview Details – I applied through the career center at my university. The interview was full of situation question. For example: How has the coursework prepared you for this position? Why do you want to intern with Total Petrochemicals? Tell me about a time when you felt overwhelmed with projects or work, and what did you do? Tell about your experience with working in teams?

Interview Questions

• How has the university's coursework prepared you for this position?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you were overwhelmed with a project or work, and what did you do ?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about your experience in working with groups   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in January 2009.

Interview Details – That was a average interview. they askme about 4 questions, like how to control a system with electric equipments? and also what have I achieved on my own? they told me its ok if I dont the exact answer for the technicl question because they know i have not have experience before, they just wanted to see my logic reasoning.

Interview Question – what system would you use to electrially control a system in the refinery?   Answer Question

Science Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in May 2008.

Interview Details – Really easy! No harsh questions. Probability of being hired is high if invited for onsite.

Interview Question – Do you like hands-on or working with people?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA employees and interview candidates.