Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

Updated Dec 20, 2014
Updated Dec 20, 2014

2.9

Process Operator Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

The interview phases consisted of an initial 10 minute interview with HR reps from the different sites the company was hiring for and a second circuit interview at whichever site was interested in you after the first stage. The circuit interview consisted of 5, 20 minute interviews with various process supervisors from the site. Questions ranged from basic behavioral questions to questions about past experience and why you are pursuing the job itself. The questions are designed to make the interviewee present a problem, their solution to the problem, and the result of how their solution to the problem worked.

Interview Questions
    This is a union contraft job, so there were no negotiations.

Engineering Interview

Applied through university. Was contacted within a couple of weeks to set up an interview. Interview was laid back. Mostly behavioral questions like describe a time when you had to come up with a creative solution to a problem. The interview finished with one technical question to assess communications skills.

Account Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

There was an initial phone interview with someone from human resources. Then there was a face to face interview about two weeks later. This was with three different people, individually. One was HR again, just reviewing the position and signing paper work. The other two were with hiring manager and supervisor, both were pretty similar questions and pretty easy going.

Chemical Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA.

Applied through my school's job posting system and was invited to an interview. I was interviewed by three people. One was in HR, not sure what the other two were in. Basic behavioral questions and one technical question. The interview was really laid back, they just wanted to talk about my resume and what I like to do outside of school. Got a call back from HR about a month later.

Interview Questions
    • Basic behavioral questions like "How do you deal with people in groups", "What do you consider you biggest weakness", etc   Answer Question
    Not much of a negotiation. Pay was really really good and was actually more than some of my friends that are doing upstream work. They also gave a very generous moving expense stipend.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in August 2011.

The hiring process was very relaxed. I was able to interview with them because I had a little bit of experience. They appreciated all extra-curricular activities that I participated in because they are looking for well rounded students with good communication skills.

I had already accepted with another company. The offer was $33/hr

Contracted Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in June 2011.

I was contacted by TOTAL for a position that they decided would be a contracted position to start. They didn't yet have the full scope or the depth of the position defined, nor knew exactly the lines of responsibility. According to the HR person, who had been employed there a whopping total of 4 days before I came in for the interview, this position was not yet a firm one, and subject to modification or elimination, meaning, they don't know what the hell they want. But, when I got there, I was told they thought my background was "interesting" and "curious" and the only thing that was decisive here was that they wanted was to waste my time and money. Oh yes... they don't offer interview candidates any place to park at their downtown Houston office, so I had to spend $10 to park my car for the privilege of satisfying their "curiosity". I feel like sending them an invoice for the parking lot cost and for my wasted time. Would I be wrong to do that?

Interview Questions
    • Would you consider learning how to build a website?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in January 2011.

The hiring and interview process took about two weeks. I basically had 4 overall interviews with TOTAL. The first day was with HR and the hiring manager; and the follow-up interview day was with two other managers in the department. Luckily, most of the questions between the managers were all similar. I was hired a couple of days later after my follow-up interview and I had 24 hours to accept or decline the offer.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer
    There are no negotiations as an intern (at least not from me). It's pretty ideal to get paid $20/hr.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Port Arthur, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Port Arthur, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in September 2010.

I applied through the career center at my university. The interview was full of situation question. For example: How has the coursework prepared you for this position? Why do you want to intern with Total Petrochemicals? Tell me about a time when you felt overwhelmed with projects or work, and what did you do? Tell about your experience with working in teams?

Interview Questions
    • How has the university's coursework prepared you for this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were overwhelmed with a project or work, and what did you do ?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience in working with groups   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in January 2009.

That was a average interview. they askme about 4 questions, like how to control a system with electric equipments? and also what have I achieved on my own? they told me its ok if I dont the exact answer for the technicl question because they know i have not have experience before, they just wanted to see my logic reasoning.

Interview Questions
    • what system would you use to electrially control a system in the refinery?   Answer Question

Science Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA in May 2008.

Really easy! No harsh questions. Probability of being hired is high if invited for onsite.