Total Quality Logistics Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.7

Logistics Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL).

Interview

phone interview, test, one on one, shadow, hired, it was very easy and all i had to do was convince them i wanted to make money. this job sucks and anyone that works here is a sucker

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a Recruiter who had seen my resume on Monster.com. Initially I was contacted to gauge interest in a Sales position, and then we proceeded to to arrange a behavioral interview via phone call. The first interview was relatively laid back, and I was asked basic questions about my personality traits; i.e. is money an important motivation for you in your work? What type of work environment do you prefer to work in? What are you looking for in a job? What don't you want in a job? - this last one was essentially probing to see what your views are on work to social life ratio.

After the behavioral interview I was asked to come into their Chicago office in order to go through a 3 hour interview process. The office itself had an open floor plan with rows of conjoined desks. Essentially cubicles without the walls to block your view from other employees. The first thing I was tasked with doing was watching a 20 minute video about the company. Following the video I was prompted to take a relatively easy test - consisted of basic questions about who the founder of the company was, where the company was founded, state location, knowledge of time zones, and state abbreviations, and basic math questions - some of these questions were posed in the form of identifying information based off of screenshots from an Outlook inbox. All of the company-related questions can be found on their website so make sure to check it out before entering the interview.

Following the test portion I sat with a Sales Executive trainee. I sat with him for about 30 minutes to gain a sense of what my immediate roll with the company would be. Then I was directed to shadow a full-time broker who had his own book of business established. Be sure to keep track of who you meet - i.e names, their position in the company, what work they were doing when you shadowed them, and be able to provide some feedback about what you thought about the shadowing process in later one on one interviews.

I ended the shadowing experience and met with the recruiter who had initially reached out to me in the first place. We essentially had the exact same conversation as the behavioral phone call with added questions about my resume.

Finally, I met with a sales team leader and the director of HR for my final interview. This interview was where I was asked to speak to the experience I had shadowing the current employees. Being able to apply some positive feedback about the experience and recalling names and info were important. Additionally, I was asked to walk through most of my resume and speak to my accomplishments, failures, adjustments, thought processes in making decisions based on experiences listed in the resume. This interview was mostly formal, but being able to form casual lines on conversation was beneficial. Part of the sales job relies on forming relationships with clients so being able to demonstrate your ability to form connections is beneficial. I had read in other Glassdoor reviews that sometimes the interviewers will tell you that you cannot do the job or that you are not qualified. I did not have this same experience per-say, but I was asked what I would do if I didn't receive a job offer. "Say you go home and see you were not offered the job, what do you do then?" These types of questions are meant to gauge your determination/motivation as a person, but they are also fishing to get your level of interest in working for the company. I was even directly asked on a scale of 1-10 where my enthusiasm for TQL was at. I answered with a 8/9 out of 10, and then was asked why it wasn't a 10. It seemed like they wanted me to give them full commitment to the company without really knowing anymore about them other than the 3 hours I had spent there.

Overall, the people were nice, but there is a high turn-over in the company. Phone sales isn't for everyone, and they want to see if you are someone who can handle the hard hour and phone calls. Also, they want someone who sees this job as a way to progress their own self-wealth/worth. Go-get-it attitude, hard work, and all the other generic corporate sales mentalities apply to this position.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied in a campus career fair and was contacted a week later (2 week process). A phone interview was scheduled and a representative asked some vague questions regarding the position and the company. In addition to providing information regarding current job.

Logistics Account Executive Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Met at a Job Fair and interviewed the next day onsite. Followed up and received a phone interview. Next I did a video interview with the same woman. To this point the interviews were basically just feeling me out, getting to know me and figuring out if I would be good at sales. I showed interest in the Chicago office and received an onsite interview. Had to complete an assignment finding distributes and carriers before the on-site. 1st I shadowed 2 people, one trainee and one more experienced LAE. I liked it to this point but realized it would be a ton of work to make $$$ in terms of building a book of business. Nothing wrong with that but its just a fact of the job. Interviewed with 2 managers. One was very abrasive in his questioning but it wasn't terrible. Similar to the original, felt me out, and asked why sales.

Interview Questions

• Why didn't I work during freshman year of college? Implied it was cause I wasn't hungry for $$   Answer Question

Inside Sales Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

There was a phone screening and then after that was a 30 minute phone interview. The phone interview was basic and they asked you normal questions about yourself and why you feel that working at TQL would be a good fit for you. After the phone interview is an onsite interview where the first half of your day is shadowing current employees and seeing how you like it. then the last half is an interview with the recruiter and then the manager of the Chicago office.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

They call you to set up a phone interview (the easy part) then they schedule you for an onsite interview where you take a geographical test and shadow their current employees. Then you are sent to the hiring manager's office where you will be sitting across from him and his egocentric sidekick where they ask you the most irrelevant questions possible.

Interview Questions

• They focus more on your schooling than your actual sales experience.   1 Answer

Mean and incompetent team lead and the pay is crap.

Logistics Account Executive Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I eagerly applied for this position in October for the Chicago location. I was drawn to TQL by its commitment to ethics and the ability to control my income. I had an initial phone interview that lasted about 30 mins then was invited to come to the downtown Chicago office for an interview. What happened onsite was bizarre to say the least. I came in and took their assessment where I scored a 97%. Next, I met with my "recruiter" to take a building tour and then finally got to the interview room where I was to have my second interview. The questions were extremely basic and elementary, but what happened next was extremely un-professional and overall rude. When I arrived in the room, it was ungodly hot for a Chicago fall day. My interviewer did not seem the least bit interested in listening to my credentials, nor my answers and questions about TQL. About 5 minutes into the interview, I was answering a question when the "recruiter" jumped up and said "this room is way too hot we need to find a different room." Surprised, I agreed and waited for about 2 minutes for the recruiter to come back. She said that she could not find another room (every other conference room was wide open) and that we would continue the interview. I asked if I could remove my sports coat and she agreed. About 2 minutes later, after another elementary question of "tell me a time when..." the recruiter jumped up and stated "I can't do this" and ran out of the room. Stunned I sat there for 5 minutes in this room wondering what in the world was going on. Next, the receptionist came to me and stated "ya your recruiter got sick and there is no one else here to interview you." The receptionist then escorted me out of the building like I was a threat to the organization as a whole. My question was only what were the next steps in the process (since I basically did not even get a chance to interview). The receptionist stated that I would most likely be coming back in a week for another interview with a sales manager. Fast forward to Monday, after sending the recruiter a thank you note as well as attached files highlighting my achievements, she left a voicemail asking if I had any additional questions. The next day, I got an email from the receptionist who escorted me out of the building stating that due to my lack of qualification, they would be pursuing other candidates.

I did not even get a chance to interview after prepping and traveling for this job. I did not even get to ask questions, nor qualify myself as a candidate. I am not bitter about this process, TQL's loss is another company's gain. I just wanted to highlight the extreme lack of professionalism displayed by this very amateur recruiting wing of the Chicago office.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected part of the interview was my recruiter running out of the room claiming illness and then being escorted out of the building. It left me questioning not only myself, but this organization as a whole.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

Extremely long phone interview, followed by usually two in person interviews. My in-persons were combined because I was from out of town. They basically want you to suck up to them the whole time and beg to be apart of the team. Their training process is extremely long, you will be expected to work weekends and holidays, seems like a nightmare to me.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic questions, a lot about past experience and how it would fit into their mold.   Answer Question

Logistics Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I spoke with TQL at a university career fair. I was contact by an internal recruiter who wanted to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview had many typical interview questions as well as a lot of questions about TQL. I went in for an interview at the Chicago location. Everyone was very friendly and I enjoyed it. I had to take an online simulation testing my math, interpersonal, and problem solving skills. From there I spoke with my recruiter and then the branch manager. I was impressed with the whole interview process.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question for me was how would I deal with the long training process involved before I could make commission.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I have accepted, but not negotiated the terms yet.

LAET Interview

Application

Interview

You take a test to make sure you know the cities, states, and time zones of the USA.

Interview Questions

• The online test before hand was slightly challenging. You had to memorize things in a short amount of time.   Answer Question

Didn't pay for my relocation.