Total Quality Logistics Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Erlanger, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erlanger, KY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Quality Logistics in July 2014.

First was a phone interview with a sales recruiter and a week later I had an in person interview. The entire process lasted about 4 hours. My sales recruiter did a very good job at preparing me for what was expected. There was a computerized test on the company and my excel skills, as well as geographic abbreviations. Next I sat with two current account executives, listening in on their calls and observing their work day. Each was thirty min each. My advice is to ask as many questions as possible during this since the interviewers do take in their opinions. Next I had your typical interview with my sales recruiter, lasting about an hour. Then on to an interview with the lead Sales Manager, lasting about 40 min. He asked relatively the same questions as before. About a week later I had a web cam interview with a sales manager at a different location to see if I would be a better fit there.
    Overall it was a grueling and lengthy process to not offer me the position. I spent over 2 weeks of my time thinking that I would be getting this job, only to be turned down. However, they were relatively nice during the process and were very willing to help me out and keep me informed.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you be a good fit at TQL?
      Logistics can be a stressful environment, could you handle that?
      Are you willing to work 50 + hours a week?
        Answer Question

Logistics Account Executive Interview

Great HR staff made it very easy to talk and be yourself. All of the people I talked to throughout the process were extremely strait forward about what the job was like and that it was going to be a lot of hard work, which I appreciated rather than having them sugar coat the job requirements.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Total Quality Logistics in January 2014.

You will get a call from a recruiter. They will ask you a few questions and set up a phone interview. You will then almost regardless of your qualifications go to a second round interview where you will take the worlds easiest test (just study some basic Geography/know your time zones) and then be put into a room with your recruiter for an interview. They may make it seem like you wont get the job but they will call you back with in a day or two almost 100% of the time. You will then go onto shadow 2 brokers which will show you kind of what they do. They will pick some one new and some one who has been there a few years in always people who do well above average though. Then you will interview with the GSM they will act like they don't like you even if they do, and then you will be walked out by your recruiter. You may leave feeling unsure but that's okay you most likely got the job. See the turn over is high enough where they will probably give you a shot one way or another.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you here what wasn't working in your last position, or, what makes you think you are good enough to work here.   View Answer
    There are no negotiations regarding new hires it is a $35k base for everyone who gets the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Quality Logistics in July 2014.

My recruiter was awesome - I was challenged, but felt prepared and informed every step of the way. Three rounds of interviews. All phone and webcam. Worked well with my schedule. Quick follow up. I could tell that I had a good recruiter working with me, and was entering a professional company.

Interview Questions
    • When have I accomplished something I never expected I'd be able to do   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Logistic Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Total Quality Logistics.

First was a phone interview and then an onsite visit. While onsite I took a US Geography (just like in 6th grade) test and another test where I listened to a phone call and then had to answer multiple choice questions. After that I did a job shadow with 2 different employees for about 30 minutes each. The work environment was somewhat unprofessional and you could tell who the golden boys were and some of the employees were cussing (jokingly) with each other.

After the job shadow I had a panel interview with a woman manager and her boss. I think he might have been evaluating her. She was nice and asked her questions first, I felt like I aced that part. Then her boss had a turn asking questions and he generally acted rude and unprofessional almost like he was trying to show off in front of one of his employees... like he was trying to show her how to be a tough guy during interviews. I wish he would've conducted his training session on someone else's time.

Interview Questions
    • Just the same questions over and over again about my work history. Either he was not listening to my answers or he wanted to see if I would change my answers. I really think he was just trying to show off in front of the other manager and couldn't come up with anything original.   Answer Question

Not impressed at all with the work environment. I'm disappointed I wasted my time with these guys. I also read the reviews on here after the interview and saw what it's REALLY like to work at TQL. I knew I could do better. :)

Freight Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Quality Logistics in November 2013.

I applied online, was contacted for a phone interview, then brought into the office. They first quizzed me on USA geography, than I sat with two current brokers, and finally had an interview with a recruiter and manager. It honestly seemed like a turn and burn environment that lured in young professionals by promising great commission after you beat your "your spread". They had me do homework assignments before I came in. Asking me to name 10 producers of dry, refrigerated and frozen goods, and then name 10 carriers of each. It became apparent they asked me to do this because finding customers was all cold calling. They put you through 3 months of training, and there were at least 30 individuals training in the office at the moment. I listened to one of the trainees on the phone while I was taking my quizzes. He was using the internet to find producers, finding their contact info online, and calling them and asking them to explain what their company did, then trying to convince them to help transport their goods. It seemed like a racket to me but I'm sure some people do very well for them selves at TQL.

Interview Questions
    • They constantly stressed that the job would entail many 12 hour days to be successful and were concerned that I may just be moving down there to party and enjoy living near the beach.   Answer Question

Low starting pay. Long hours, expected to work several Saturdays a month. Only one week of vacation for the first two years. And from what I gathered it was not easy to beat your spread and start earning commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Total Quality Logistics in January 2013.

The interview process consisted of coming into the company, taking various test at a computer, and then interviewing with the Sales Office Leader and a Sales Team Leader. The interview consisted of several things about previous employment and then you have to do a sales pitch off the top of your head.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult or unexpected question was honestly to give a sales pitch, pick any product you have used and are comfortable with and pitch it,   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Total Quality Logistics in July 2014.

Initial phone cummunications, then a pretty informal phone interview. In person: simulation/listen to sample sales calls/test over TQL, state abbreviations, time zones, computer use. In person interview with recruiter and tour. Final interview involves shadowing sales team twice and interview with firing manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Total Quality Logistics in December 2013.

I submitted my resume via Craigslist. I was contacted a few days later and completed an initial phone screen with a National Sales Recruiter. I was brought in for an office visit where I completed a skills test, job shadow, an HR interview and a final interview with the group manager,

Interview Questions
    • I don't think you are tough enough for this job, what do you think about that?   View Answer
    There is no negotiating on the base salary. It is company-wide.

Freight Broker Interview

First step was an phone screen. If you get past that, then you go to a video interview. Before the video interview, you have to take a test and leave a voice mail with the hiring manager on why they should hire you.