Total Quality Logistics Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.9

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a Recruiter who had seen my resume on Monster.com. Initially I was contacted to gauge interest in a Sales position, and then we proceeded to to arrange a behavioral interview via phone call. The first interview was relatively laid back, and I was asked basic questions about my personality traits; i.e. is money an important motivation for you in your work? What type of work environment do you prefer to work in? What are you looking for in a job? What don't you want in a job? - this last one was essentially probing to see what your views are on work to social life ratio. After the behavioral interview I was asked to come into their Chicago office in order to go through a 3 hour interview process. The office itself had an open floor plan with rows of conjoined desks. Essentially cubicles without the walls to block your view from other employees. The first thing I was tasked with doing was watching a 20 minute video about the company. Following the video I was prompted to take a relatively easy test - consisted of basic questions about who the founder of the company was, where the company was founded, state location, knowledge of time zones, and state abbreviations, and basic math questions - some of these questions were posed in the form of identifying information based off of screenshots from an Outlook inbox. All of the company-related questions can be found on their website so make sure to check it out before entering the interview. Following the test portion I sat with a Sales Executive trainee. I sat with him for about 30 minutes to gain a sense of what my immediate roll with the company would be. Then I was directed to shadow a full-time broker who had his own book of business established. Be sure to keep track of who you meet - i.e names, their position in the company, what work they were doing when you shadowed them, and be able to provide some feedback about what you thought about the shadowing process in later one on one interviews. I ended the shadowing experience and met with the recruiter who had initially reached out to me in the first place. We essentially had the exact same conversation as the behavioral phone call with added questions about my resume. Finally, I met with a sales team leader and the director of HR for my final interview. This interview was where I was asked to speak to the experience I had shadowing the current employees. Being able to apply some positive feedback about the experience and recalling names and info were important. Additionally, I was asked to walk through most of my resume and speak to my accomplishments, failures, adjustments, thought processes in making decisions based on experiences listed in the resume. This interview was mostly formal, but being able to form casual lines on conversation was beneficial. Part of the sales job relies on forming relationships with clients so being able to demonstrate your ability to form connections is beneficial. I had read in other Glassdoor reviews that sometimes the interviewers will tell you that you cannot do the job or that you are not qualified. I did not have this same experience per-say, but I was asked what I would do if I didn't receive a job offer. "Say you go home and see you were not offered the job, what do you do then?" These types of questions are meant to gauge your determination/motivation as a person, but they are also fishing to get your level of interest in working for the company. I was even directly asked on a scale of 1-10 where my enthusiasm for TQL was at. I answered with a 8/9 out of 10, and then was asked why it wasn't a 10. It seemed like they wanted me to give them full commitment to the company without really knowing anymore about them other than the 3 hours I had spent there. Overall, the people were nice, but there is a high turn-over in the company. Phone sales isn't for everyone, and they want to see if you are someone who can handle the hard hour and phone calls. Also, they want someone who sees this job as a way to progress their own self-wealth/worth. Go-get-it attitude, hard work, and all the other generic corporate sales mentalities apply to this position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Columbus, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

submitted my application then recieved a phone call during the first week talked with the recruiter about the position, then phone interview, on-site interview and job shadowing for an hour, webcam interview, background check drug test after the final interview I recieved an offer

Logistics Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

There was a over the phone qualifying process, followed by in-person interview with the recruiter, I shadowed with a successful LAE and closed with an in-person interview with my GSM, and another LAE.

Interview Questions

• What makes you stand out from the rest?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied in a campus career fair and was contacted a week later (2 week process). A phone interview was scheduled and a representative asked some vague questions regarding the position and the company. In addition to providing information regarding current job.

LAET Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Very intense, I had 2 phone interview, 1 hireview interview, and finally a face to face. The first couple of interviews are with a recruiter for TQL. If they decide to bring you back for a face to face interview it will be with the hiring manager for the office.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

Very friendly and interviewed over the phone for about 15 minutes. Basically wanting to know the type of person I am and what I could bring to their company. They asked a variety of questions pertaining to my degree, if I knew what their company was, why I chose my degree, and if I am familiar with Microsoft Excel and the systems they use.

Interview Questions

• How can your accounting degree pertain to the Financial Analyst position?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics in March 2015.

Interview

Applying for a position in a different city, so the interviews were conducted via phone + webcam. There was a phone interview with the recruiter, followed by a phone + webcam interview with the recruiter, then a final interview with the managers of the branch. In preparing for the final interview, there was an "assignment" that had to be completed. This included research online to create a list of different types of freight carriers as well as a list of companies that sell different kinds of goods (dry, refrigerated, frozen).

Account Executive Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics.

Interview

The whole process was relatively fast, two weeks. Did an over the phone, online and in person interview. At the in-person, got paired with two account executives and the final was with the hiring managers. This was the worse interview I've had. The hiring manager is fairly young and puts down every job experience you had before. Considering your making 100 cold calls a day, the first three months there sound like a sweat shop. They offer minimum pay for what your investing and you have to work Saturdays the first six months. Unless you are set to do sales and cold calling and be an account exec, don't waste your time specially if you have a bachelors degree.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn from job shadows?   Answer Question
    • What makes you think that from your experience you can succeed here?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to sacrifice long hours to be an account exec?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Total Quality Logistics.

Interview

It was a long interview process. I was contacted by a recruiter. We scheduled a phone interview. That was just to feel me out etc. Next came the in office interview at the location nearest me. There I listened to some actual calls and then took a simple test about states and simple math. You also have to leave a voice mail with the hiring manager (1 min. Or less) pitching yourself. Following that interview I was then scheduled for a third interview with the hiring manager at the location I wanted. I was required to do a long assignment essentially giving them leads aka free labor. They don't give you your lead list back either. Odd. For the final interview you do two shadows. One of a full fledged broker and one of a trainee. Then you interview with the hiring manager. The interview style is tough. They push you to see if you break. The general attitude is "no one can do this job, we don't think you can, prove us wrong". Questions about your GPA, how much money do you have saved up, do you expect them to train you? So on and so forth. They say no trick questions but there are a few.

Interview Questions

• I'm not convinced you know what your getting yourself into. How do I know you're not a pushover?   1 Answer

LAE Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Total Quality Logistics.

Interview

The interview process consisted of an initial phone screening, followed by a video conference with the recruiter. It was a little different for me because I was applying from a distance. After the video conference, I was subsequently asked to come into the office for a job shadow and sit down interview with the hiring manager. I was then offered the job within the same week as the interview.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were making sure I was fit and willing to put in the hours and time requirements it takes to be successful at TQL. There are no smoke and mirrors here, they are very upfront in telling you that it takes a lot of time and effort to build your book of business and make sure you understand that this isn't a normal 9-5 job. It was clear that they are trying to weed out anyone that isn't willing to put in all that it takes to be successful at this incredibly demanding job since they allocate a lot of time and resources to trainees in their first year.   Answer Question