Total Wine & More

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redondo Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More in July 2010.

Interview Details – Excruciating. You need to scrutinize the app or it will be immediately dismissed. Also don't bother following up. If you filled it out right, they'll call you. Depending on the manager, the interview is either tedious and by the book, or fun and random. Good luck.

Interview Question – What's your favorite movie?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very little room to negotiate.

Jacksonville, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Total Wine & More in September 2012.

Interview Details – VERY unprofessional.

1) Had a phone interview with HR
2) Filled out long assessment on computer
3) Many emails back and fourth.
4) Received email from another HR rep. Unaware I had already had an interview
5) Had a face to face with DM, went well
6) More emails
7) Had another phone interview with VP
8) Heard noting for a week. Sent MANY emails trying to find out status with no response
9) After 2 more weeks called DM and emailed DM to find out status. Was told they were still weeding through applicants and they will get back to me shortly
10) Another week sent another email to the HR and got a standard rejection email.

I have over 25 years of manager experience. Only had 3 jobs my whole life and have never been through such a ridiculous process. Dont know what this company is looking for, and they do not handle business very professional.

I would not recommend this company.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More.

Interview Details – Submitted resume via e-mail. Received a response in one day. Phone interview scheduled for that afternoon with HR recruiter. Questions were geared towards leading a team with specific examples. Several situational questions. For the most part it was a typical first interview. Second interview was about a week later with the DM. Again very similar to the fist with more details specific to the job. Third interview was with the AVP which was more of a get to know me and see what I have to offer the company. And finally I did a meet and greet with a store manger for a store tour. Over all it was a positive experience though it did take about 5 weeks from start to offer.

Interview Question – What do you feel you need to improve on as a leader? It's not that this question is difficult, but if you don't choose something it makes you seem over confident, and so choosing an opportunity for yourself that does't make you look unqualified but lets them know you know you're invested in personal development is the key.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was necessary. Salary expectations were discussed during the first interview and were met during the offer.

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Total Wine & More in September 2010.

Interview Details – phone and face to face interviews

Interview Question – would you relocate   View Answer

Negotiation Details – fair

Assistant Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Total Wine & More in May 2011.

Interview Details – The HR recruiter that was responsible to interview me was less than professional. She called me at 5AM in the morning by accident and then hung up and did not call back. After repeated attempts to connect, she finally called me back. The interview went well and I was told to expect a call back within a few weeks when they were finalizing the store makeup. I was emailed the next day and asked to submit a background check release and to fax it back to them. I did and followed up to make sure they had it the next day. The HR recruiters assistant said she would reach out in a few weeks when they were closer to staffing the store. She then emailed me a few days later requesting that I interview with a store manager (she listed a managers name and store number that aren't even in my state) and wanted my availability. I responded and did not hear back for weeks..... and then only to hear that I was still being considered. I noticed that the original HR recruiter was on LinkedIn trolling my info that very day - such a coincidence! After not hearing back for several weeks, I reached out again and now several weeks later, still have not even had the courtesy of a TBNT email. Strangely enough, a friend has recently had a very similar experience with the same HR partner. I wonder how this company will be successful with such inept recruiting.

Interview Questions

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Total Wine & More in February 2011.

Interview Details – Four interviews in total. Phone interview with a member of HR, interview with a store manager, another interview with a district manager, and a final interview with a regional manager. Everyone I interviewed with had been with the company four years or less. The interviews were more getting to know me and they did not ask any difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• What do I think it means to give a customer great service.   Answer Question
  • What was the most upset a customer has ever been at you and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They did not offer to negotiate the job offer.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Total Wine & More

Worked for Total Wine & More? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Total Wine & More Assistant Manager interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Total Wine & More employees and interview candidates.